Towing mirrors

Submitted: Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 10:03
ThreadID: 55387 Views:1900 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Have towing mirrors become and optional accessory for vehicles towing caravans lately?
It seems every second towing vehicle I follow doesn't have any on and if I cant see the mirrors the driver can't see me. Recently followed a Nissan Patrol fifth wheeler through busy streets of Hobart and couldn't see any of the vehicle unless I was alongside it. Do drivers rely on rear/side cameras when towing these rigs? Couldn't see any technology fixed to rear or sides.

This also applies to older/smaller vans too.Seems that some drivers are getting lazy re safety on road.Not just interstaters either,locals as well.I don't drive a 4WD and realise that some of them have large mirrors with fish-eye type reflections for wide view, but if the mirrors are hidden from behind it can't be a good thing.
It's something I'm seeing more and more.
The first thing I do when hooking up the wagon is put the mirrors on.Jayco Eagle/Ef falcon wagon. Cant see safely without them.
Is it just me , or do others see this happening too?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alan H (Narangba QLD - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 10:16

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 10:16
Lots of vans these days have rear view camera.

I have asked QLD Transport if rear vision camera is an alternative to mirrors. Can't seem to get an answer.

The rear vision camera has to be on full time and not just when in reverse.

Some rigs have two cameras - one on back of vehicle which is reverse gear related (helps with hitching up) and the second fulltime one on the van.

I am going to do same on new van and vehicle due later this year.
AnswerID: 291885

Reply By: DIO - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 12:08

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 12:08
Adequate mirrors are still required in accordance with ADR and I'm sure that respective States all require drivers toi have a clear and unobstructed view to the rear of their vehicle(s). You would need to check each State as Australian Road Rules are silent on the matter. Notwithstanding the existence of any such rule a driver could be deemd to be driving without Due Care and Consideration is vehicle did not have adequate mirrors. Your experience (observation/s) are typical of a large number of fellow motorists. There is an attitude amongst many drivers regarding their responsibilites for vehicle (equipment/safety) and compliance with Road Rules. Unfortunately such attitudes will ultimately lead to either their demise or sadly to that of an innocent motorists or pedestrians. Why do some people still continue to flout such laws despite all of the evidence and advertising relating to such behaviour and the consequences?
AnswerID: 291902

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 22:15

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 22:15
As far as I'm aware it is a legal requirement to be able to see down both sides of your rig when sitting in a straight line.

So if a cop goes and pokes his pinky out the back edge of your van and you cant see it in your mirror your are in the poo.

Apparently cameras arent covered in the legislation and anyway a camera still leaves blind spots in close to the back of the van unless its mounted down low which negates the idea a bit.

What it boils down to is if a following vehicle cant see the mirrors they arent wide enuf .

Heed the warnings on the buses and trucks. "If you cant see my mirrors I cant see you"

Which also applies if you havent got any.
AnswerID: 292013

Reply By: Waza & Wend - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 23:52

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 23:52
We have just started our 4 month trip from WA to Qld.

Before we left, I borrowed a pair of mirrors off my cousin to pick up our van (was picking up with c'dore sedan as 100s was getting new engine) after which I decided to spend the extra money and by proper truck mirrors for the cruiser. I also bought a reversing kit from Derek at ABR and it is the best thing I could have done. Mirrors are great, but the ability to be able to just look at a monitor and see what is behind you is priceless.

We have one on the back of the cruiser which I can just hitch up straight away with no messing around, and one on the back of the van for travelling.

If you can afford to have them, get them cause they are are great value.

AnswerID: 292034

Sponsored Links