What to do with Ferals in the bush.

Submitted: Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 15:01
ThreadID: 55397 Views:4247 Replies:13 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hiya Guys

I was shown all around Tanjil State Forest and Noojee State Forest over the weekend.

Fantastic area with nice off the track camping areas on the river (well they could be).Now everywhere we visited , people had left there can's,bottles,sometimes there big clear plastic containers you keep your food in (obviously cracked them so they left the two)..

There was a nice little hut @ Chinaman i think its called with a great little swimming pond after the little waterfall..Just magic.

As we pulled up to it the first thing we notice is the doof doof music,then feral barking dogs that the owner's were yelling expletives constantly (something about if he gets his hands on it he'll kill it) that a small child should not hear..

Cans,bottles,plastics strewn through the bush,while we were swimming down from the hut in the pond, there comes a green V can..Just been used.

Now is Parks going to crucify us all in future by shutting these tracks because of the above ass holes..I can see this happening at some point in time,unless they come up with another solution..

Yes where we camped same as the above and we did pick up some of the rubbish.

I dont usually like to stereotype people but this subject gets me to the bone.How hard is it to put your empty stubbie/can back where you got it,you usually have to go back to get another one.

Its a shame a Pristine area being trashed !

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 15:11

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 15:11
Hey warfer

It sounds like the experience I had a Fraser Island this year, with crap every where.

I posted my thoughts on that, and what I thought of stubbies in the bush, this upset some, but you get that.

Hey check out thread 55369 and 55370, I haven't seen any improvement yet but I've only driven it 2 kms.

Cheers Steve.
AnswerID: 291929

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 15:42

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 15:42
There is no place for stubbies in the bush, particularly thrown into fireplaces.
FollowupID: 557274

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 16:36

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 16:36
Couldnt agree more the last thing we need to be seeing out bush is stubbies
FollowupID: 557282

Reply By: Gramps (NSW) - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 15:34

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 15:34
Warfer69,

For a moment there I thought you were going to talk about the four legged ferals. But then again, maybe the same solution should work.

AnswerID: 291933

Reply By: Member - Vince B (NSW) - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 15:39

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 15:39
Couldn't agree more wareer69.
We spend a bit of time camping on the mann river & there is nothing worse than cleaning up the empty bottles & disposable nappies!!!
A lot of great bush camping spots are being closed because so called campers are too damn lazy to collect their garbage.
Regards Vince
AnswerID: 291934

Reply By: Bros 1 - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 16:15

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 16:15
warfer69,
I also have come across some rubbish remains of previous campers, visitors etc.
We always clean up and take our rubbish, and many times other peoples rubbish with us when we go.
What is the answer?
If some person in authority does not catch these irresponsible people, there is not much else we can do, except clean up after them. Disgusting.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 291941

Reply By: warfer69 - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 16:40

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 16:40
*If some person in authority does not catch these irresponsible people, there is not much else we can do*

I travelled some kilometres over the weekend,and not one Parks officer did i see..

Where are they,don't they work on the busiest times of the year ????

In New Zealand,Well Auckland anyway and someone on this site will be able to clarify this,They have people with the power to stop fights,nuisance drunks,monitor everything so there is generally good behaviour etc....... etc,..Once they have there idiot they call in the cops...

Maybe Parks or the Government should employ people with limited power,maybe to fine or force people to pick there rubbish up...

The other night we stayed next to a great little river (rubbish everywhere again) a couple of young boys about 8-10 year old as a guess had those terrible thumper bikes,One could hardly touch the ground and would race down the hill flat out and put on his brakes and skid for about 5 metres or so towards the back of the my 4wd..
I said look mate if you keep doing this you will slide into the back of my 4wd and bleep me off and half kill yourself...You better do it somewhere else..

Next minute his old man comes down with the two on the bikes and encourages them to ride through the Fiord/river..What happens the younger one konks out and falls in,Sorry had to laugh the river would freeze the balls off a brass monkey...Petrol/oil in the river,you could see it floating while the ol man is laughing his head off..(i suppose we had something in common their)

Cheers
AnswerID: 291945

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 17:30

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 17:30
Warfer69

Couldn't agree with you more - have seen this type everywhere I have gone.

For some reason their drink of course is often VB - some people think it stands for Victoria Bitter but it is also known as "Violent Beer" due to the behaviour exhibited by some of the people who drink it.

The trouble with the minority who behave like this is that in the end the Government takes action by restricting access and we all lose.

Tjilpi
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 291953

Reply By: Mike Harding - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 17:41

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 17:41
>What to do with Ferals in the bush.

Go further out.

>I was shown all around Tanjil State Forest and Noojee State
>Forest over the weekend.

10 years ago I used to visit these areas - nowadays I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.

They are too close to Melbourne and attract a myriad or w@nkers - most of them with 4WDs.

Head 4+ hours east of Melbourne and you'll leave these d!ckheads behind.

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 291954

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 17:44

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 17:44
PS. If "you" happen to be one of these d!ckheads then stop it because the rest of us really don't like the way you behave and one day you'll annoy someone just a tad too much.
FollowupID: 557289

Reply By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 17:44

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 17:44
Whilst I would agree with you wholeheartedly, I would also submit that you are preaching to the converted on this site. In my mind, those who would take the time to read the various posts contributed here would unlikely be the ones chucking VB cans into the river.

I have often thought about confronting these types of people, but have had a previous bad experience, with a drunk and his shotgun, so would advise extreme caution.

Best we can do is lead by example.Camp quietly, clean up own and others' mess, don't pollute waterways and drive to the conditions with regard to track damage.....I think 'Tread Lightly' is the saying.....

Cheers,

Mark
AnswerID: 291955

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 18:32

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 18:32
Mark, I agree about confronting them. If you happen to be in the right place at the right time..... (IE: when they are packing up and have made it obvious that they don't have any intention of taking their rubb ish with them), then one thing you can do is:....

Go into their campsite area and start collecting their rubbish for them. Place it all into a big rubbish bag etc and tell them:

"It's okay mate, don't you worry about taking your rubbish with you if it;s too much trouble....we'll take it out for you if that's okay with you". You've just gotta be a bit careful about how much sarcasm is in your voice; better to be genuine when you say it. Some people might react by saying something like: "Oh we were just about to collect all that stuff and take it with us".

Others might say: "yeh; whatever!!!!".

I don't think anybody is gunna get all stroppy just cos you offered to take their rubbish for them......but it MIGHT just strike a chord of guilt in them and make them think twice next time.
FollowupID: 557296

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 23:11

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 23:11
Nah - people like that haven't got a conscience. If you let them see you pick up after them, they'll expect it forever.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 557380

Follow Up By: Bware (Tweed Valley) - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 11:53

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 11:53
You're right Motherhen, they are more likely to stand there and laugh at you and throw the can of coke they just finished on the ground and say, "Here's some more for ya."
FollowupID: 557434

Reply By: hexrunt - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 18:17

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 18:17
We are also disgusted by all the rubbish that we see in our travels. We usually find Jim Beam cans. Came across a group of young people early one morning still asleep in their tents with smouldering fires camped just south of the river to the north of Paynesville (Vic). There were heaps of rubbish around the fire. When we returned later they had gone, and taken their rubbish with them - or so we thought. Closer inspection revealed that they had dumped all their rubbish down the river bank. More Jim Beam cans.

Now when we are walking we look for JB cans - find them everywhere. Not that I'm blaming JB of course and we do find lotsa others. But it makes you cry when you see the amount of rubbish out there.

Maybe a deposit of 50 cents on all bottles and cans could at least keep some of those in check?
AnswerID: 291960

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 18:28

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 18:28
We camped at a place probably 2-3 years ago with some friends there was me and missus and 2 other girls plus 2 guys. In the late afternoon some young guys drove past and noticed the girls and wanted to stay and drink with us. We told them to hit the road, anyway later that night around midnight they came back in their ute and whilst we were all asleep they started doing donuts around our tents and woke us up. They tried to get the attention of the girls obviously but after I stormed out of my tent and picking up the axe on the way to their ute they took off very quickly. I was very angry as they could have very easily gone over the tents if they lost control.
AnswerID: 291962

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 18:34

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 18:34
Gday,
The worst thing to do is turn a blind eye and say nothing till you get home.
Go and have a talk to them.... it might work?...if not
Depending on the sort of person you are and how many of them there are you could try,
1. Take a couple of photos including them and there vehicles with rego. numbers.
2. Drag them out bush by their hair and beat the living $hiit out of them.
Personaly I find the second option a lot more satisfying, but hey everyone to their own.

Cheers
AnswerID: 291964

Follow Up By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 23:19

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 23:19
Hey Hairy.

Damed right See it and Say it and if they don't like it show em.

I like the way you think.

Cheers Steve.
FollowupID: 557382

Reply By: Scubaroo - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 23:43

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 23:43
In Victoria it is possible to take someone's licence plate details and report them to the EPA for littering (remember the campaign with the echidna picking up rubbish on the side of the road?)

You need to be able to report the colour/make/model of the vehicle, a number plate and description of the driver, as well as a location and the type of rubbish.

You do have to identify yourself, and it has to be a legitimate notification - but the rotten sods will get a fine in the mail (which can be challenged) with a description of the alleged offence - so they might think twice about it next time they go camping.

Sure it's dobbing, but it's our bloody bush they're mucking up for the rest of us.
AnswerID: 292031

Reply By: Member - Mark L (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 10:05

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 10:05
Because of the rubbish problem on a certain part of the Ningaloo Coast a section of it will be closed to camping, personnelly I dont blame the relevant authority there are some absolute grubs that camp in this particular area because its free, so in the next 18 months to two years campers can expect not to be allowed to come back.

Some examples are illegally firing of a weapon and leaving spent cartridge cases everywhere, leaving piles of rubbish in wells and sinkholes, four wheel motorbikes tearing up sandhills and the vegetation, I camp in this area and witness all too often the moronic attitude of alot of campers, fishing in no boat fishing zones, the list goes on.

As for talking to people about their attitude etc you are wasting your breath most dont give a stuff.
AnswerID: 292065

Sponsored Links