1993 80 series Gear Box & Transfer Case

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 15:52
ThreadID: 55433 Views:2257 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,

I would like to know if anyone can help me. I have a 1993 80 series part time 1HZ Std Cruiser with 400,000km. The problem is that when you back off the revs in 5th gear, it will fall out of gear and then you have to put it back in gear.

Also I am having trouble trying to get into low range on occasions, if not used for a few weeks or so, it gets very hard to engage low range, but after used it is ok for awhile.

I was stuck in muddy water for a while and flooded the 4wd and this low range problem has just started since then. I had the all oils change the day after I was stuck in mud.

Am l due for a rebuild or is there any thing I can try or do to stop falling out of gear.

Thanks in advance for all your expert opinions.

David
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Signman - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 16:01

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 16:01
Having had the same g'box 'crash' - requiring a very expensive rebuild.
if yours is suss. might be a good time for an overhaul- before it collapses..may cost you a grand and a bit now- but will cost 3-4 grand if it stuffs up big time..

AnswerID: 292105

Reply By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 16:17

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 16:17
the synchro's in dads pajero have just packed it in and has to double suffle every gear......He is due for a new box....sounds like your is too....

Laura
AnswerID: 292110

Reply By: Member - Tour Boy (Springsure - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 16:53

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 16:53
Hi mate,
If they are like the early 75 series thay have a spring and a ball bearing to hold the stick in gear. If the spring gets weak it will pop out as soon as you back off the throttle. But with that amount of k's a preventitive rebuild would be cheaper and give piece of mind.

As for the low range check that they put the right oil in it. It sounds that it won't shift until warm making it the wrong oil.
As well you may have crap built up around the linkages of the transfer case.

Regards
Dave
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 292112

Sponsored Links