weight distribution system

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 20:47
ThreadID: 55448 Views:2966 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Folks, I'll be towing a 1 tonne poptop (100kg ball weight) behind a VS commodore sedan. Hitching the van on drops the height at the rear guards by 30 mm. Tensioning both level ride bars then raises this by 10mm, so the total drop at the guards is 20mm. This is without anyone in the car (when travelling, there'll be 2 adults up front and an 8 year old in the back). My question is - does this sound about right or should I increase the bar tension? Thanks, Rob.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dunaruna - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 20:58

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 20:58
What type/brand of level riders do you have?
AnswerID: 292183

Follow Up By: Outbackogre - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 21:10

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 21:10
Hmm, don't know what brand it is (it's not a new setup), but it consists of a cast iron bracket that is clamped to the tow bar tongue by the ball. Into this bracket is inserted two round iron bars. Each one of these connects to the van via a chain which terminates into a bracket that straddles the draw bar. The tensioned chains are secured in a slot in these draw bar brackets. Hope you get the drift. Thanks. Rob.
FollowupID: 557547

Follow Up By: Dunaruna - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 21:30

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 21:30
Got it, you got a two bar kit. I need to check on friday (that's when I'm due back to work) but I'm pretty sure that the 2 bar is only rated to 85kg ball weight. Me thinks you may be asking a bit too much from them. You may need to change to a 4 bar kit (easy and cheap conversion).

FollowupID: 557555

Reply By: DIO - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 21:36

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 21:36
The VS has 3 levels of towing capacity. 1200kg 1490kg and 2100kg all of which are dependant upon level of towing equipment and vehicle equipment.
A WDH (Weight Distribution Hitch) will not increase your towing capacity neither is it a substitute for an overloaded vehicle or excessive tow ball weight.
Your problem could be related to worn/sagging rear springs or shock absorbers fatigue.
Ideally you should be able to have the ride height of your vehicle returned to normal height with suitably adjusted WDH and adequate suspension.
In order to maintain a safe towing combination I suggest you get those suspension compnents checked if you are not sure of their condition. You may (MAY) consider (air) pump-up shockers which whilst not increasing the carrying capacity of the rear axle may help to re-adjust the ride height if everything else fails to resolve it.
Regarding increasing tension on the bars, yes you can but in doing so it may place more strain on your towing equipment (tow bar) which if only 1200 kg capacity might be susceptible to breaking particularly if subjected to undulating and or rough roads which will only add more stress and strain and is not a 'hitch receiver' type (generally has a higher rating 2100kg).
Remember when you load your tow vehicle with passengers, luggage, fuel etc it will also caue added strain on your suspension components. No doubt you have seen van combinations with the rear of the tow vehicle sagging (dragging a**e on the ground). Yes many people do get away with it, HOWEVER in the interests of safety and well being of your family, the more stable you can make your combination the safer it will be for all and believe me a lot less stressful for you whilst travelling. Good luck with it I'm sure you will manage to work it out. Just take your time and don't over do ot.
AnswerID: 292202

Reply By: Mikee5 (Logan QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 09:04

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 09:04
I tow a 1.5 tonne boat behind my VL. I had to get a towbar rated to 1.6 tonnes (Hayman Reese WDH). I also fitted Poly Air airbags, these work a treat, keeping the back at normal height. I also use a two bar ride leveller but it wasn't quite enough for that weight.
AnswerID: 292265

Reply By: Wizard1 - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 10:05

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 10:05
Get a pair of polyairs fitted to the rear springs.
AnswerID: 292285

Follow Up By: Wizard1 - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 10:07

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 10:07
In addition, the weight distribution setup you are using are only rated at 80 - 90 kg towball weight depending on whether they are Hayman Reese or Camec.
FollowupID: 557641

Sponsored Links