They don't make them like they used to

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 14:13
ThreadID: 55474 Views:2300 Replies:6 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
I had a bit of fun this morning in the work ute (Falcon).

I had to do an inspection up in the hills for a house that was being relocated there. I mentioned that it looked like I would need a 4WD to get there but from all assurances from the clowns I work with, was that I would get there.

Well I got close :))

The ute was lacking alot of ground clearance as well as decent tyres :)
I ended up hung up on a rock ledge that required the trainee to jump in the back of the ute to give a bit of weight to the rear axle to get us off. I ended up having to reverse down the goat track and figure out how else to get there.

We ended up having to do a 60km diversion around the said hill and go through a few adjacent private properties to get there.

I would love to see how they are going to get a 3 bedroom house on the back of a truck up there tomorrow. They have a 20T excavator on standby to drag the truck up, I think they are going to need it.

I am now going to go back that way with Darkie this afternoon and take some pics which I'll add to my rig pics.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 16:13

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 16:13
You just dont know how to drive a ute! See, if I was ther we would got up, the ute might have been in 2 pieces but we woulda got up...your just a sook!! Had to have a go in Drakie...bet you struggled...th eold boy wouldnt know what hit him!LOL

bet you had a good time giving it to the bloke who said you'd get ther alright!
AnswerID: 292337

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 17:49

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 17:49
I now need new tyres as I drove it like it was stolen trying to gewtit up there. It went down reasonably easily :))

The trainee is a bit reluctant to come out on inspections with me now ha ha ha

Drakie??

Darkie is going to love it as he hasn't had the hubs locked in yet :))

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 557718

Reply By: Member - Axle - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 19:03

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 19:03
Kev, I used to be suprised just where my old xf falcon ute with auto and the LSD would go, But as you say ground clearance was another issue, had more dents in the sump than i care to remember....lol.

Cheers Axle.
AnswerID: 292365

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 19:30

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 19:30
ha ha yes I can remember the places I used to put my XD Falcon ute.

I am not game to have a look under the work ute for damage. There is no fluid leaks so it should last LOL

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 557740

Reply By: Member - Barnesy - Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 08:11

Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 08:11
I'm not having a go at you Kev, I'm easygoing when it comes to other people's posts. But the last few days several others have been complaining about posts not being relevant to exploroz when in fact they are relevant. Well, this is totally irrelevant to camping or travelling yet nobody says anything.

Barnesy
AnswerID: 292464

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 08:36

Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 08:36
But is it relevant to 4wding as I should have been in a 4wd ;)

Cheers
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 557861

Follow Up By: Willem - Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 18:55

Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 18:55
Yeah Barnesy, like I said in another thread....methinks the sun has got to you...hahahahahaha

Kev was exploring ways to get to the top of a hill. This site's name is ExplorOz!!!!!
FollowupID: 557970

Follow Up By: Member - Barnesy - Friday, Mar 14, 2008 at 00:55

Friday, Mar 14, 2008 at 00:55
So this post is alright but the other one wasn't Willem, is that right? Why, because you say so?

I did say I didn't have a problem with the post.
FollowupID: 558066

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Mar 14, 2008 at 01:07

Friday, Mar 14, 2008 at 01:07
Why not?

If you are inviting me to say the post is alright, then so be it.

The Forum gives me(or anyone else) the power to say what is right or what is not right even if they are the reversal

Give up Barnesy, you are not going to win with me.

FollowupID: 558067

Reply By: Mark & Jo, S/side, Bris - Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 13:30

Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 13:30
We had an old XF panel van.. We took her places where she wasn't meant to go but she always pulled through. Looking back of course had we of gotten into a problem we would of deserve any chit thrown at us, and one particular instance it turned out the directions we were told to take had actually taken us into the 4wd entry only, we had no choice but to go forward, now that was a darn scary experience especially as it had turned nightfall, we did eventually find camp and other people which was a great relief!

I will be very interested to see the photos of the house sliding off the back of the truck tomorrow!!

Cheers
Jo
AnswerID: 292493

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 14:08

Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 14:08
Jo,

I'm going up there again today in Darkie :)

I hope the house stays on the truck till it gets where it is going. There has already been 1 house fall off a truck in the last week due to the truck getting bogged on a property track. They needed 2 x 100t cranes to get it back on the truck.
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 557902

Follow Up By: Mark & Jo, S/side, Bris - Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 15:22

Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 15:22
That is one job I would not like to have the responsibility of!!!
FollowupID: 557917

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 21:12

Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 21:12
So where are the pics?? And being a Ford I put your inability to get all the way down to driver error.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 292564

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 21:20

Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 21:20
Getting down was easy, getting the bloody thing up the hill was the problem.
Pics delayed again due to a bloody Missan that lives here that decided that it would need a new battery while Sam was in Gladstone at the Doctors with Peta. Ended up jump starting it and replacing it at home :((

Hopefully tomorrow now :))
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 558015

Reply By: Kev & Darkie - Friday, Mar 14, 2008 at 20:49

Friday, Mar 14, 2008 at 20:49
Here is some pics

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 292722

Sponsored Links