MovingMap/ExploreOz/Ubuntu/LapTop ... HELP ??

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 17:31
ThreadID: 55479 Views:2284 Replies:8 FollowUps:26
This Thread has been Archived
That should cover it ..... !!

I need some real help here, if you can, please !

I have just bought a re-furbished Acer TravelMate 530 laptop, pre-loaded with a Ubuntu O/S.

My intention is to load OziExplorer and NatMap Raster maps to enable a 'moving map' programme. I have both on [legal!] CD's.

Firstly, OziExplorer wouldn't load
[Couldn't display "/media/cdrom0/setup.exe".]
Did a search on here, found that it doesn't run on Linux.

Called the 'seller' who suggested that I should install Windows [ as a dual-boot ???] alongside Ubuntu. Then have the option of keeping both or uninstalling Ubuntu and using XP.

I "think' I would prefer to use Windows only but ??
However, the same dialogue box came up
[ Couldn't display "/media/cdrom0/setup.exe".]

Got onto the Ubuntu site ........ far too technical and complicated for me ........... having only recently mastered using Clic biros !!

Is this something that I can/should be doing .... or do I need to go and pay mega$ for a guru to do it for me ?? Gurus' up here [Cape York] are somewhat rare ....

I have a reasonable ability to follow simple directions ........ is there a kind and knowledgeable Master out there ??? If it is a bit complicated, perchance you may be able to send me an MM ?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 17:57

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 17:57
Interesting.

Follow what you are talking about with Oziexplorer and Ubuntu.

I run Oziexplorer on my laptop too, but XP.

I have had a laptop with Ubuntu too. Never have been a Bill Gates fan, and my first, no my 2nd OS was Unix (1983), so Ubuntu doesn't phase me.
But I gave up after 6 months trying to get the right drivers and software I needed to work properly. Never loaded Oziexplorer.

What I am saying is that it may be easier to buy a copy of XP and be done with it. (Did I really say that, Bill you might be winning. :o))

AnswerID: 292351

Follow Up By: Member - Pedro the One (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 18:40

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 18:40
Thanks John ....

Probably wasn't as clear as I thought I was .... I already have a Windows XP disc, just not able to get it loaded to the LapTop.

My main objective is to get rid of Ubuntu and replace it with XP, but I keep getting the afore-mentioned dialogue box.

However, I'm confident the solution is here, somewhere ... !!
FollowupID: 557727

Reply By: Skippy In The GU - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 17:57

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 17:57
I don't think Izi will work with Linux

This site might be able to help you Ozi L

Subscribe L users
AnswerID: 292352

Reply By: John S (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 18:19

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 18:19
To get (some) windows apps to run under Ubuntu/Linux you can install WINE, which is a mini windows emulator program.

I haven't tried Ozi on Ubuntu yet, but I will try it now, just to see what issues are presented, ie GPS connection.

If you have no need at all for Linux, or you have apps that only run under windows, then maybe format the laptop and install WinXP.
AnswerID: 292355

Follow Up By: John S (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 18:44

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 18:44
You can get Ozi running under Linux. This link shows you how.

Because I use a bluetooth GPS, it is going to take some time to get 'follow me' to work.

BRB
FollowupID: 557731

Follow Up By: Member - Pedro the One (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 18:46

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 18:46
Thanks John S .....

That's the way I want to go.

Had a look at WINE but was not to my taste, [sorry 'bout that!].

But would be really interested in how you go with it.

>

Aye, there's the rub ! How does one "do that? "
FollowupID: 557732

Follow Up By: Member - Pedro the One (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 18:59

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 18:59
John, last was an oops! "

Had already checked that link, hence my ... [Had a look at WINE but was not to my taste, [sorry 'bout that!].

and above F/Up should have read thusly :

[then maybe format the laptop and install WinXP.]

Aye, there's the rub ! How does one "do that? "

That's me .... how does one format and install XP ?

FollowupID: 557734

Follow Up By: John S (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 19:10

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 19:10
If you have a WinXP cd, boot from it and follow the prompts. When it gets to the hard disk partitions, delete all of then and tell it to setup WinXP on the single partition left, and select quick format NTFS. Keep following the prompts. Done

Well almost done, if you have never installed WinXP then its scary, but just use the defaults and you will get there.
FollowupID: 557735

Follow Up By: Member - Pedro the One (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 19:27

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 19:27
Right ....

tried that ......
pressed F2 when prompted, up comes a screen[ PhoenixBIOS Setup Utility] requesting PASSWORD.

My Password wont open it ..... screen is in front of me now !
FollowupID: 557738

Follow Up By: John S (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 19:35

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 19:35
Great :( bios passwords - god do I hate them.

Will the laptop boot from the WinXP or does it boot straight into Ubuntu ?

If it boots straight into Ubuntu, some systems allow you to press F12 (instead of F2) to enter a boot menu, from there you select the CD-ROM
FollowupID: 557743

Follow Up By: Member - Pedro the One (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 19:59

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 19:59
Nope, wont boot from XP .... goes straight to Ubuntu.

F2 brings up the BIOS P/W box ... and F12 goes straight to Ubuntu again.

Any further suggestions ..... I am a patient type, just get frustrated easily !!

Will go looking for a computor forum if no luck here.

Many thanks for your assistance.

I guess all I'm really after now is how to get Ubuntu off my LapTop !

Sigh ..... and it all seemed do easy yesterday !!!
FollowupID: 557756

Follow Up By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 08:55

Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 08:55
You should be able to boot from the XP CD in your CD drive, and ignore the boot sector on your hard disk.

Make sure you have a copy of XP supplied with your system.
If not, other copies may not have the drivers you need.
But the basic drivers that come with XP will get you up and running, but you may need to find the correct drivers for sound/NIC card etc.

Back up any data you want to keep onto CD , otherwise ignore this step. Because what follows is going to wipe the hard disk.

1. set the boot sequence in BIOS.
use del or as the post message displays to get bios.
there should be a setting for boot sequence.
put the CD before the hard disk.

2. F8
Trying pressing F8 as it boots. You should get a menu that prompts you with a list of boot devices, then boot off the CD.

After 1 or 2.
The system should load a small copy of XP into memory to work.
Then it will prompt you to load XP onto the hard disk or repair it.
Select load new copy of XP.
It will then offer to reformat the hard disk.
Reformat the disk. NTFS is best. (This wipes Ubuntu and everything else, no going back after this.)
Then XP should load.
Go through the setup proceedure as prompted.
This could take from 30 mins to 1 to 2 hours.
It should find the right drivers as needed.
Option - If you can log onto Microsoft and load the updates, it is worthwhile. (another few hours depending on your connection speed.)
Now you can load any other software like Oziexplorer.
FollowupID: 557862

Follow Up By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 09:04

Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 09:04
Oops, forgot to say, do 1 or 2, not both.
They are options , each one getting you to the same step.

Sorry about that.

Hope it works.

I just did this to a system in the office because it was getting flakey after a few years, and shutting down once or twice a day. I do a system or three every year to keep them all running.

But I am not a computer guru :o), just basic mechanics like changing oil and bits and pieces on the car.

Was told there are 4 levels of computer experience.

1. Beginner - wary of everything.
2. User - knows enough to be dangerous.
3. Guru - an experienced user who is a dangerous dabler.
4. wizard - the one who can solve problems.

I am maybe nudging guru in a couple of areas. :o0
FollowupID: 557865

Follow Up By: Member - Pedro the One (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 12:04

Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 12:04
Thanks John C ........

re your :
(You should be able to boot from the XP CD in your CD drive, and ignore the boot sector on your hard disk.)

This is the main problem ! It wont boot from the CD, the CD icon appears on the desktop but trying to open it produces the dialogue [couldn't display "/media/cdrom)/setup.exe")

So the first problem really is the above bit !
Re your :
(1. set the boot sequence in BIOS.
use del or as the post message displays to get bios.
there should be a setting for boot sequence.
put the CD before the hard disk.)

Here, I can't access the BIOS without rhe PassWord! Have tried a few logical 'backdoor' PWs' but no luck. Don't want to overdo it in case everything locks up !!

And that is the next area to resolve !

I now have a better understanding of WINE ..............thanks to everybody .......... hopefully it will all come to fruition soonly ?
FollowupID: 557890

Follow Up By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 16:00

Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 16:00
Pedro,

Sorry to hear your problems.

You can't change the BIOS, OK, obviously you can't go that way.

I assume you are not familiar enough with "control panel" to check if the device driver is OK for the CD drive, so lets not go there.

So all I can suggest is that at start up, i.e. pressing the on button, you press F8 every couple of seconds and see if it will over you the choice of booting from the CD rom drive.

Or as you mentioned, you look at WINE.
FollowupID: 557925

Reply By: bgreeni - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 18:20

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 18:20
Ozi Explorer is a windows program - it needs windows as an operating system.

Ubantu is a Linux operating system - totally different from windows.

The only ways to have Ozi run on your laptop is

1. Install windows either as only OS or duel boot.

2. You can run windows programs using a windows emulator such as Wine using Linux, but unless you know your way around both Linux and Windows this is not an easy task, and even then you might not succeed. I tried to go down this path once and could get Ozi to work, but not in moving map mode, and it was terribly slow.

Bruce
AnswerID: 292356

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 18:25

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 18:25
Firstly dont listen to computer geeks telling you anything other than windows is better.
Thats fine if you know how to get stuff to run otherwise but If you are like most computer users and just want it to work then wipe it all off and install windows you will make your life alot easier
AnswerID: 292359

Follow Up By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 18:42

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 18:42
Agree, sort of Davoe,

Just spent 3 days trying to sort an XP driver problem.
XP has all of these fancy wizards, and after doing some delving it seems to be a corrupt register key.

At least Unix you edited the /etc or /lib files with a text editor.

Now where is my slide rule, it is faster than my calculator sometimes. :o) And it still works when the power is down. :o0

Me, a ludlite, never!
FollowupID: 557729

Follow Up By: Member - Pedro the One (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 19:14

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 19:14
That's it, Davoe .....

I really just want it to work ... as I am not a computor geek, it's just a tool to me !!

However, all these responses have been great and I am clearer as to my now REAL question/s:

1 .... can Ubuntu be deleted/uninstalled FIRST and then XP INSTALLED ?
If so, how does one uninstall said Ubuntu ? Bearing in mind that Ubuntu is an unfamiliar system to me!

then I can simply follow the prompts to install XP, can I not ?

2 ... Or is Ubuntu required to help install XP and then get uninstalled itself ?

3 ... I'm getting a headache !!!

FollowupID: 557736

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 19:15

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 19:15
Which version of Windows do you suggest they run Davoe?
FollowupID: 557737

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 19:28

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 19:28
Pedro: seek help on a computer forum.
FollowupID: 557739

Follow Up By: Member - Pedro the One (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 19:32

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 19:32
Yes, sounds a sound idea !

Tried here first as I hoped that others may have already had the problem and resolved IT.

Thanks to all ...............
FollowupID: 557742

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 20:26

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 20:26
The version Ive got as in dont know dont care ive got ozi and maps loaded on it plus anything else I just load up.
The fact is wheather anyhting else other than windows will actually work better if you know how to use it is irrelevent i just want my computer to work and like it or not nearly everything people like me are going to want to use are desighned to work with windows first and formost. And if it dont work there are alot more people who cn help me coz they know windows first and formost.
Some people love mucking about with the puter but for others its just a tool an ive got zero intrest mucking about i just want it to work
FollowupID: 557762

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 20:33

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 20:33
But having advised people they should use Windows, and given there are various versions - which differ quite a lot - which version do you think they should use?

Or are you not sure?

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 557767

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 20:46

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 20:46
you say they vary alot? maybe if you can tell the difference but after using many computers for work and my own etc i can assure you i cant tell the difference
FollowupID: 557774

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 20:48

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 20:48
Currently using windowsXP home edition and i had to look to find out coz it works the same as other windows ive used.
FollowupID: 557776

Reply By: John S (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 19:40

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 19:40
Successfully setup OziExplorer 3.95.2 with maps and bluetooth GPS on Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn. And Moving Map works and knows where I live.

AnswerID: 292379

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 19:44

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 19:44
Ozi Ex will _not_ run under Unix/Linex/Ubuntu nor is it designed to.

You should be clear about which interpreter you used - possibly WINE? Doing this is not a trivial exercise for non computer people.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 557747

Follow Up By: John S (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 19:54

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 19:54
Windows apps do not run under Linux without some kind of emulator, hence that is why WINE was created.

Yes I did use WINE as it is one of only a few Windows emulators for Linux and it is the most common one documented.

WINE is easy to setup, and the whole process I went thru took from my first post to now.

I am documenting this and will happily help anyone who would like to do it.

Linux is not easy to learn, but Ubuntu is the closest Linux distro you will get to a Windows environment. If you have the time to learn Ubuntu you will find it kinda cool, and a nice change from Windows.

If you don't know MS-DOS or how to use Windows command prompt, then you will have trouble until you start to understand it.

FollowupID: 557751

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 20:03

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 20:03
>If you don't know MS-DOS or how to use Windows command
>prompt, then you will have trouble until you start to understand it.

Thanks John.

That is a more realistic description of the issues people will face.

Linux et al is a far better computer operating system than Windows but it is not as simple to use - assuming everything goes well with Windows - if it doesn't... then Windows can be very difficult.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 557758

Reply By: mikeyandmary - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 21:23

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008 at 21:23
Can you take it back to the place you bought it from and get them to reset the bios password? Maybe call them???

Does the laptop have a floppy drive? If so, try making a boot disk and start the computer with this disk in it. Most computers are set to look at the floppy then the hard drive.

This link might help a bit... create a boot disk in ubuntu

Also, if you're after info on ubuntu the best place to go to is
ubuntuforums.org

I've been running all computers at home on ubuntu for the past 3 years now and while it can be a bit difficult at times, its so much cheaper than microsoft.

Hope you can sort it out...
AnswerID: 292417

Reply By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 08:15

Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 08:15
You could always load up vmware server for linux (http://www.vmware.com/download/server/) which is free and then install windows into a virtual machine. this will let you keep Ubuntu without a dual boot scenario and only use windows when you want (ie for moving map etc)
AnswerID: 292465

Follow Up By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 08:16

Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 08:16
should also add that you can stop and start the windows virtual machine without rebooting the main PC.
FollowupID: 557858

Follow Up By: John S (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 13:49

Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 13:49
For simplicity sake, WINE will do the job with Ozi. The WINE docos are good and the Ubuntu forums are a wealth of knowledge.

Vmware can take a bit to setup, plus you still need to install Windows, which can be an issue for a novice user. But some windows apps will not run under WINE, therefore Vmware would be the next best alternative.

The only issue I had was that I had to manually restart the connection to my bluetooth GPS after a reboot. But I have now scripted this when I run Ozi. Yes it took some time to get it right, but works 100% everytime.

As far as speed goes, I believe Ozi runns faster under Ubuntu than WinXP (I'm sure that statement with come back and haunt me!)

But in the end, if you don't need Linux then stick with Windows.
FollowupID: 557897

Sponsored Links