outboard mounting

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 15:48
ThreadID: 55505 Views:4763 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
hi there!!
just wanted ideas on where and how to mount an outboard on my camper trailer im thinking on the draw bar. if anyone has any designs that would be great!
thanks for all the help
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 16:04

Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 16:04
Archar, check out this thread. The Ezygo mentioned can be bolted direct onto the drawbar of a CT.
Ezygo Thread on Explore Oz

Norm C
AnswerID: 292512

Follow Up By: Wizard1 - Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 16:37

Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 16:37
I wouldn't desribe the Ezygo as a "storage" method, carrying method, yes.

Besides taking up most of the tray room of a ute it then becomes nothing more than an outboard loaded on a trolley.

Certainly not the type of system you'd want for the space saving solution to carrying an outboard on a camper trailer.
FollowupID: 557931

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 17:12

Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 17:12
Interesting comment Wizard.
As I said on the other thread, I have no affiliation with Ezygo and have not even seen one in the flesh - but will tomorrow.
Not sure that I see your distinctioin between storage and carrying. On a CT you store it for the purpose of carrying. All in the words I guess.
In any case, my outboard is 1100mm long x about 360 mm wide. When I contacted Ezygo for the dimensions of their product suitable for a CT/ Caravan draw bar or tray back ute, they quoted 1220mm long x 400 mm wide. The width at the trolley wheels is 600mm. The model for a ute with drop down tail gate is longer as the tracks need to extend to cleat the tailgate.

On the draw bar of a CT the extra space required to mount using this device compared to strapping it down with ropes (for example) is miniscule. Plus you get the benefit of dramatically reduced lifting, ease of use and a trolley to store the motor on at home and for moving it too and from the boat when on the road.

I acknowledge that in the back of a vehicle, it takes up a bit of extra space, due to the tracks having to be mounted far enough away from a wall to fit the trolley wheels, but if you pack soft items around it, the impact is reduced. But of course this thread is largely about carrying on a CT.

I'll have a closer look tomorrow and post a report on the other thread.

Norm C

FollowupID: 557946

Reply By: Axel [ the real one ] - Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 17:01

Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 17:01
We had the same "problem" ,our 02 model Campomatic c/t does not have any room left on the draw bar ,did 1-2 trips with motor on roof rack of l/cruiser under boat , bit of a pain getting it up and down [37kg] , decided to mount motor on the Kaymar swing away wheel carrier , doh ,, not enough clearance without some serious modifications ,, ,,, now have motor mounted to the swing away spare wheel carrier on the camper trailer and the c/ts spare on the cruisers Kaymar , cruisers spare still underneath ,,, works for me as now cruiser carries 2x spares of same size + make even when camped and off on a day "trip" ,,,,
AnswerID: 292518

Reply By: Mal and Di - Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 21:26

Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 21:26
I made up a mount on the frame of my AVan cruiseliner.
Went up to Karumba and Cooktown via Birdsville and have done some smaller trips since. Outboard sat there without any problems. I will attempt to post a couple of photo's. No I cant, not til I pay the money! Maybe I could email if you are interested.
M.
PS Live in Adelaide.
AnswerID: 292566

Follow Up By: archar - Friday, Mar 14, 2008 at 06:59

Friday, Mar 14, 2008 at 06:59
my email is sam.jones@knox.vic.gov.au any ideas would be great!
FollowupID: 558073

Sponsored Links