4WDers and Community Spirit

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 17:45
ThreadID: 55510 Views:1911 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I found this on the 4wd councils site, how true it is, as far as I am concerned, what about you?

Being self-sufficient is part and parcel of 4-wheeling - and that is one of the main reasons why 4WD enthusiasts are easy to distinguish from 'the rest'. 4-wheelers like to feel independent and able to rely on their own resources - prepared, mentally and materially, for most eventualities.

Those interested in 4WDs, or the outdoors, would be well aware of the extraordinary number of rescues that take place - particularly in mountainous areas. It seems as if a week cannot go by without news of lost, stranded or injured bush walkers/rock climbers etc... needing the services of the police, or one of the rescue organizations. I'd like a dollar for every tank of fuel that motor vehicles and helicopters have used while searching for (and often winching out) lost and/or injured and rock climbers.

The cost of rescuing people, from their predicaments, has become so great that there is talk of authorities recouping the cost of the rescue, where it was due to the actions (or lack of action!) of the rescued person.

Yet, even though our outdoor areas are (supposedly) under threat from "off road vehicles", we hardly ever hear of a 4WD owner getting into a situation that requires major, organized, outside assistance. And, let's not forget that the four-wheel drive enthusiast is often likely to be providing his time and equipment free of charge to help out in a rescue operation. In many instances, the 4-wheeler will shrug off the cost of fuel consumed, and the use of his expensive equipment, with a smile and a "glad to help you out, fellas!"

The desire to be self-sufficient, capable and responsible citizens is the same inner drive that results in people becoming unpaid participants of the volunteer organizations: emergency services, fire brigades, service clubs, the scouting movement and dozens of other groups with similar ideals. Check out the parking area of any of these groups (when a meeting is on) and, if you are not already a 4-wheeler, you will probably be astounded at the number of 4WD vehicles gathered there.

However, rescues and distress assistance are not only areas in which 4WD owners serve voluntarily. Most of the 4WD clubs schedule projects to help people in need and the community as a whole. It may be gathering toys for children at Christmas, taking disadvantaged people on an outing, cleaning up an area spoiled by ignorant people, or many other activities where helping-out, with time and equipment, is happily and freely given.

It is their good nature, adventure and fun-seeking desires, and the harmonious way they mix with others, and the environment, that make 4-wheelers a very special sort of people - a fact not lost on many of the children who grow up in 4WD-orientated families.

It is not unusual to hear that, when little Johnny grows up, his ambition is to own a 4WD. Not because he likes big, fat tires; not because he loves anything mechanical (though these would be the things that would spring to mind if he were asked). No; the motivation that makes Johnny want to own a 4WD is that he subconsciously knows that, because his parents have one, they are happy, friendly people who have a lot of good times and adventures. Lots of interesting things seem to happen to his family because they have a motor vehicle that contributes to their recreation and adds zest to their lifestyle.

Thanks to Ray Barker at www.4wd4sale.com for this article.

Colin.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jack - Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 18:07

Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 18:07
Anyone game to send this to Scruby????

: )

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 292533

Follow Up By: On Patrol (East Coast) - Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 18:44

Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 18:44
Nah Jack, why bother.

My dream would go someting like this :-)

"News Just in: Anti 4WD campaigner Harold Srcrewlose found dead in remote land in the Blue Mountains after refusing help from a nearby 4WD club"

Thats the news I would like.
Colin.
FollowupID: 557966

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 18:11

Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 18:11
Colin,

Did you get a warm fuzzy feeling after reading that article.

I did, but I have been off my medication for a while now. :-))

It is very true, and the reason that you don't hear so much about a 4wd getting into trouble is that is another 4wd not far away able to help.
The only bad news ones are when a 4wd is in the wrong time wrong place

Wayne
AnswerID: 292535

Follow Up By: On Patrol (East Coast) - Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 18:38

Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 18:38
Yeah Wayne, Like Appin!!!!!!
Colin.
FollowupID: 557965

Sponsored Links