inter change motor between hilux's

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 13, 2008 at 22:39
ThreadID: 55522 Views:1702 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all Question can you , or has anyone done a straight change with a LN106R motor form a 1995 hilux to a VZN 167R MY02 3lt 2003 hilux. Just want to know if it can be done and is it worth it or is it wiser to just look for a newer hilux and start again building it
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: obee - Friday, Mar 14, 2008 at 06:43

Friday, Mar 14, 2008 at 06:43
Its not a matter of whether it can be done but a matter of economics. Is resale value a factor? Is the new motor cheap enough to make it worth while? Is everything else on the car in good nick? Do you really want to committ the time and effort?

Subtle changes between models can mean extra work making the gearbox match and the mounts probably need altering. I dont know. For me it would have to be a fun thing but working on cars has lost it's charm for me over the years.

Owen

AnswerID: 292602

Reply By: Member - Kiwi B - Friday, Mar 14, 2008 at 09:49

Friday, Mar 14, 2008 at 09:49
Maria,

Did a conversion a few years ago, RN130 4runner/manual changed/grew into a KZN130 auto. I was fortunate in that I had a complete vehicle, well 2 in fact, to play with and it probably wouldn't have happened without this luxury. Engine mount points, rear cross member position, the entire engine bay and dash looms, dash cluster, radiator, diff ratios were all different. Actually wound-up fittng my body to the imported chassis and took about a week for 2 of us to do. Yip, sounz like a big job but under the circumstances was very worthwhile.

Electrics and fuel are probably gonna cause the most work.

Good luck if the project goes ahead,
AnswerID: 292634

Sponsored Links