80 series Performance - Fuel Cut Solenoid

Submitted: Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 08:40
ThreadID: 5553 Views:11374 Replies:3 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
In the gregorys workshop manual it provides some checks and cleaning to be done is power is low in the 1HZ. Does anyone know what the Fuel Cut Solenoid does, it is attached to the fuel pump? I have never cleaned it and apparently that is one thing that should be done?? The manual says that if it clicks when the igition is turned on then it is working, but there is a gorse that can/should? be cleaned? - is it an easy job? And they mention a specified torque wrench NM value that it should be tighted up to when tightening back up - please explain??

Any info greatly appreciated!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony and Helen - Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 08:55

Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 08:55
Justin
The fuel cut sol is what stops the engine
Remove the wire and undo the solenoid, there is a small gause filter under the solenoid - an easy job
Cheers tonyshe said you're
not going
down there with
me in here!
AnswerID: 23048

Follow Up By: Justin - Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 09:06

Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 09:06
Tony, do you think this could have any effect on the power problem?
FollowupID: 15272

Follow Up By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 09:16

Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 09:16
Justin,

If the gause is clogged in any way, this would have an impact on the flow of fuel through the solenoid valve, which would impact on power as the engine would not be getting enough fuel.

Sam.
FollowupID: 15273

Follow Up By: Wazza (Vic) - Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 09:30

Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 09:30
Tony (and others),

Just taking a side track again ... I am good at this.

Do you know if you could some how set up the solenoid with a switch and/or relay that is operated from a hidden spot in the cabin. That way, it could be used as a type of engine immobiliser when parked in dodgey spots. Does the solenoid only get power applied to it momentarily to close the solenoid when the engine is shut down, or does it have power applied to it while the engine is running to keep the solenoid open? Do you reckon this is feasible?Cheers,
Wazza
----------------------
FollowupID: 15277

Follow Up By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 10:02

Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 10:02
Wazza,

I don't see why this wouldn't be possible, as all you would be doing is adding another switch in the circuit. Just a matter of locating the correct wiring and ensuring what ever switch/relay/wiring you put in is more than ample for the job so as not to end up with voltage drop - which could cause a few problems.

cheers,
Sam.
FollowupID: 15282

Follow Up By: Justin - Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 10:45

Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 10:45
Sam do you think it is possible for it to be clogged - has anyone ever heard of this problem happening before and causing power problems?
FollowupID: 15283

Follow Up By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 10:58

Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 10:58
Justin,

Its certainly possible for the gause to become clogged, especially if the fuel filter isn't doing its job properly, and if thats the case, there could be problems all the way through to the final fuel delivery point. But I wouldn't have thought that it would be an all that common problem. I suppose it depends on how fine the gause is as to how readily it would clog up. The finer it is, the more particles (that have made it past the fuel filter) its likely to trap, although I would expect and hope the fuel filter would have finer filtration than the gause on the solenoid.

There are many variables that could cause a lack of power.

cheers,
Sam.
FollowupID: 15284

Follow Up By: duncs - Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 10:59

Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 10:59
Wazza

On the NIssan it gets power from the ignition to keep it open. It closes when you turn off the power this is what stops the fuel and the engine.

If you want to use it for security in the occasional dodgy parking spot, just open the bonnet and unplug it. But remember to plug it in again before you flatten your battery.

Duncs
FollowupID: 15285

Follow Up By: wazza - Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 17:02

Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 17:02
Righto, thanks guys... looks like I might be onto something. Should be easy enough to set up then. Currently I put the transfer case into neutral, but I guess a thief would have to be pretty dumb to not work that out. But the fuel cut idea, now that might stuff them...
FollowupID: 15299

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 18:33

Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 18:33
Hi Wazza
You could fit an imobiliser with the relay on that wire. Can you imagine them trying to clutch it???
I would definately keep that solenoid in the pump unless you cant find anything else wrong. Remember, there is a fuel filter before the pump and gauze, and its more probable it is blocked partially at the fuel filter causing low power.
Give us some other data like
1 how much smoke comes out the bum/what colour
2 fuel economy good or bad
3 hard to start/runs on all 6 cylinders straight away
4 how many kms travelled
5 do u use algaie treatment
6 do u use thesame fuel supply all the time
7 is it Woolworths?? :-)
Other things to check are inlet filter, aswell as muffler.Sometimes the guts falls appart inside and restricts flow.
I would say(with my exray vision) it needs a once over and if that doesnt help, injecters cleaned.
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 23080

Follow Up By: Flesh - Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 06:27

Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 06:27
Dozer,

You say "is it Woolworths?? :-) "

Is there something wrong with Woolworths? Or are you a Coles shareholder!

Merv
FollowupID: 15321

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 19:11

Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 19:11
Hi Flesh
I have noticed my friends t/d smokes when warm on Wollies diesel, but not as much on Mobil or other fuel when we are away and he has to refill on a major brand. I know at work, the diesel is industrial grade, and the forklifts smoke alot from it, so im putting two and two together and saying that it must be cheaper to purchase.
FollowupID: 15344

Follow Up By: Flesh - Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 05:33

Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 05:33
Dozer,

I asked because I use Woolies almost exclusivley but can`t comment as I been getting big smoke. My 80s in the shop as I type with the head off looking for the problem. New that there was something amiss but couldn`t put my finger on it. Did all the usual stuff, filters etc and finally the injectors and a compression test. Compression is down in 3 cylinders.

Oh well, it's only money!
FollowupID: 15378

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 09:40

Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 09:40
Merv
Keep in mind imported 1hdft motors from 95+ factory t/d 80's ex Japan 7.5k with 5 speed. swap straight in, and sell your motor and box for what its worth. 4 people have done this that i know of-3 with std 80's 1 with a hzj105 now hdj105:-)
Importer is in Queensland sunshine coast, email me for his number if you end up needing it.
FollowupID: 15385

Follow Up By: Flesh - Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 04:35

Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 04:35
Thanks Dozer. Will keep it in mind. The verdict should be in today.
FollowupID: 15454

Reply By: Derek - Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 21:32

Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 21:32
Justin. The fuel shut off solenoids I've worked on are merely an electro-magnetic solenoid whereby the core doubles as a needle which, when not energised, is forced into its mating seat by spring tension. When you turn your key to 'on', power is sent to the solenoid, energising it and drawing the needle back off the seat and hence allowing the passage of fuel. I've never seen one with a gauze strainer but I imagine it would not be difficult to clean. I have an 80 series with a 1hz and have had a 'secret switch' on my solenoid circuit for years. Find the wires that provide power to the solenoid and 'Tee' a new wire off one of them which you run to a toggle switch in the cab. From the other side of the switch, run a wire to ground. With the switch 'activated', should a would-be thief try and start the engine, the fuse in the in-cab fuse bank blows and so even if the thief finds your handy work and bypasses it, he also has to know about the blown fuse. Heres 2 tips. Break into the solenoid wire in a very inconspicuous place and hide your work (a good thief will look straight away for evidence of wire modifications). Secondly, hide your switch in the most strangest but accessible place as most thieves already know all the usual hiding places. This method is not totally infallible but at least it's a start at stopping the *# stards. When refitting the solenoid, just tighten it firmly and DO NOT lean sideways on the spanner...a ring spanner is preferable to an open ender. P.S I supposedly get a discount on my car insurance for having an engine immobiliser fitted. It's easy! You can do it.
AnswerID: 23104

Follow Up By: Wazza (Vic) - Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 08:05

Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 08:05
Thanks Derek!!!!Cheers,
Wazza
----------------------
FollowupID: 15380

Sponsored Links