OT: electrical help sought - PC PSU

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 16:46
ThreadID: 55594 Views:1429 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Time to turn the tables :)

My main PC is a Sotec which was bought in Japan about 4 or 5 years ago. Being a Japanese computer it's not used to hot Australian weather and I've had to fit an additional 12V fan to keep its electronics cool.

Being in lazy mode at the time I simply poked the 12V fan wires into a spare disk drive connector. The problem is: the fan works fine whilst the computer is powered up but as soon as the computer is powered down or reset the fan refuses to restart until it is disconnected and subsequently reconnected to the disk drive connector.

I am assuming that the power supply has some cleverness inside it and checks for a load on the connector before it supplies power to that particular connector - this seems a rather strange thing to do and I have not come across it before.

Anyone care to comment?

Mike Harding
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 19:15

Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 19:15
Mike, the correct plug from the PSU for fan pick up is quite tiny, with red, yellow & orange wires, otherwise you may have a spare fan connector on your motherboard.

Correct placement of the case fan is also important, if you have a PSU with a fan inside it and a single extra case fan. The PSU is normally expelling air from the rear of the case. Locate the single case fan also to expel air from the rear and you will have two fans working together in parallel. They will work to lower the air pressure inside the case and to draw air in from the front of the case, over internal components and then push it out from the rear of the case. The 'throughflow' will be close to the sum of the two fans. If however, you install the single case fan to draw air into the case from the front, you may only have throughflow capacity that is just above either the PSU fan or the single case fan.

Hope that helps!
AnswerID: 292966

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 22:51

Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 22:51
Ive got 7 fans in mine so how would you configure them.
Two in rear plus power supply one. Two in the front One in l/h side and one in the top. It still runs hot on very hot days and I have half blowing and half sucking.
FollowupID: 558649

Sponsored Links