So Much For Easter

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 19:58
ThreadID: 55602 Views:2052 Replies:9 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Friday, get home from work with the idea of getting the camper ready for next weekend. Camper is on the concrete driveway and to close to the shed to open so pull the thing away from the shed by the A frame.Well the old story of keeping the boots on came home to roost. Ran the solid jockey wheel over the second toe on the right foot. The ball weight on the camper is about 120kg so had all of that on top of the front of the toe, over the nail. End result, one very sad looking toe. Spent the next 6 hours at the Gold Coast Hospital getting the toe looked after. No broken bones but a chance that the ball of the toe will not join back and I may end up loosing the tip of the toe from the first joint. About 12 stitches in the ball of the toe. Almost no room left to put a needle into the thing. Bad news is that I am on my backside for at least the next week so ..... their goes easter.

The one thing I can say is that the staff and doctors at the hospital work under extreme conditions with not enough of anything to do the job but I can only say that I have never been in better hands. If you are going to require emergency treatment, get it at the Gold Coast Hospital.

Lewis
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 20:11

Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 20:11
I think we have all run the bare foot gauntlet at some stage. Maybe another reason that a pneumatic wheel is a better option. Sorry to hear about your misfortune mate.
AnswerID: 292980

Reply By: Mr Fawlty - Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 20:17

Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 20:17
Oh Man that bought tears to my eyes.....Still it was a very clever way of avoiding the Easter mayhem, surely you could have done something a little les painful?
AnswerID: 292983

Reply By: Member - Fred G (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 20:25

Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 20:25
Lewis...boy oh boy can I sympathise with you. I work as a maintenance supervisor for a large aged care nursing facility. Expected to fix everything from leaking tap to major building collapse. At the beck and call of nurses and all and sundry.
Back in mid Jan this year, after work, I am at the checkout of local IGA when SWMBO rings the mobile...
On your way home, can you help Marlene get her clothes line down as it stuck right up full of washing. Chit..O.K. 1st beer will have to wait.
On arrival find hills hoist at full mast and on a lean. Ahhh, no problems, just off balance and stuck. Put hands on the lower mast to straighten, and, whammo, instant descent with right thumb where it shouln't be, resulting in a severely crushed thumb, compound fracture and all. Hospital (boy were they wonderful) and many stitches...!!
Anyway, almost healed now, and have learned to turn keys between forefinger and middle finger without much pain.
Get well soon mate...and try and enjoy easter..:-)))
Fred.
AnswerID: 292987

Follow Up By: Member - Fred G (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 20:36

Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 20:36
Just a hint, after learning from experience...someone had tried to wind the hills hoist down...but the mast was left behind stuck up high...the mechanism was wound down, and as soon as I straightened the mast, whammo, it came down at a zillion KPH to catch up with the worm drive, and my thumb was in wrong palce.
I have an interestingly shaped thumb now.
FollowupID: 558601

Reply By: Member - Vince B (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 20:32

Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 20:32
Hi Lewis.
Sorry to hear about your toe.
I had similiar problems moving my camper around in the garage & I bought a set of hydraulic go jacks(same as what is used in v8 super cars).So easy now to move the camper around without all the cursing lol.
Regards.
Vince
AnswerID: 292992

Reply By: Member - Borgy.. (SA) - Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 21:14

Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 21:14
G'day Lewis

Sorry to hear about your toe mate, take it easy and get better soon

Cheers.......Dave
AnswerID: 293009

Reply By: RalfR - Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 22:00

Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 22:00
Lewis,

I think it may be a little longer than a week?? I had a similar problem while wearing my safety thongs while bulding a stone wall in the garden. Ouch. I hope it goes well.

Cheers
AnswerID: 293027

Reply By: Member - steve H (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 23:38

Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 23:38
Lewis
I know what you mean about the staff at GC Hospital. I spent most of today there with my son who had broken the bones in his fingers. The staff were fantastic.

Steve
AnswerID: 293039

Reply By: Member - andrew B (Kununurra) - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 10:36

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 10:36
Sorry to hear of your misfortune Lewis. I would also like to voice my praise for the staff at the GC Hospital. My father has a number of problems (quite serious) and they have been fantastic over the years and make things a lot easier on our family.

I also have a niece, about 40kg ringing wet who used to play goalie in womens hockey on the gold coast. Needless to say she is on a first name basis with most of the staff in the emergency department who have done plenty of patch up work on her!

Get better soon

Andrew
AnswerID: 293080

Reply By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:05

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:05
Sorry to hear......can i have your camping spot now?

Andrew
AnswerID: 293090

Sponsored Links