Kalbarri to Steep Point track (via Tamala)

Submitted: Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 07:21
ThreadID: 55614 Views:7883 Replies:6 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, we are looking into travelling from Kalbarri to Steep Point through the Tamala property. Did anyone 'recently' went down this route? I had to look it up by using Google Earth and plotted it by hand in OziExplorer. Any info regarding the state it's in, if it is any fun, must see's etc. are more the welcome. (Will be using a LandCruiser and no trailer)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tony - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 07:33

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 07:33
I was in there Oct/Nov last year. The road into Tamala Stn was very good. From there on it started to break up a bit, with some weaving around potholes.

The start of the 4WD section is sandy, so lower tyres are required. There is a sign onthe road to say lower tyres. The most part is easy, with some caution on bends and curves.
AnswerID: 293054

Reply By: kusanagi - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 08:52

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 08:52
Thanks for the quick response. So if I understood correctly, the part from Kalbarri to Tamala is OK, Tamala to Steep Point sandy at parts.

Calling in to Tamala Stn. is probably a wise thing to do as it is private property most of the way?
AnswerID: 293061

Follow Up By: disco driver - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 11:14

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 11:14
Kusanagi,
NO.
The track from Kalbarri (Murchison House) to Tamala is NOT OK.

(See my post below)
Calling into Murchison House and Tamala Stn is courteous and it is only essential to ask permission to travel through on the Station tracks.

Disco.
FollowupID: 558709

Reply By: disco driver - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 11:08

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 11:08
Hi,
Unless things have changed a lot recently, the internal tracks through Murchison House and Tamala Stations are private station 'roads' and permission from the station owner/manager is required to traverse through the properties.

North of Murchison House is the Zuytdorp National Park (absolutely no facilities at all) and then on to Tamala and the Steep Point track.

Coastal Tracks north from Murchison House through to Tamala are generally limestone caprock, extremely rough and uncomfortable to travel over. A fair part of it is 1st gear slow going (under 10kph) and everything in the vehicle gets pretty well shaken around.
I worked in this area with for a Govt Dept for 10 years recently and believe me, Murchison to Tamala along the coast is remote and unforgiving, little traffic, if any, and no facilities or services (fuel, water etc). Mobile Phone and UHF communication does not exist at all. It should NOT be undertaken by a single vehicle alone without detailed preparation. Someone should be advised of estimated arrival times at Tamala just it case anything goes wrong.

I hope this doesn't scare you off but this piece of country is not to be taken lightly.

Your best option is to get into Tamala from the Shark Bay Road and continue up to Steep Point from there.

Sorry this is so long but safety is important.

Disco.

AnswerID: 293083

Reply By: Richard W (NSW) - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 16:38

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 16:38
We did the main track last year which was fine as the grader had just been through. We were advised not to do the coast track in the area because of sand blows. We camped at Tamala Station on the beach which was great. Camping fees were $8 per vehicle although only a long drop. The fee to drive to Steep Point was $22.
AnswerID: 293137

Reply By: Member - Michel D (Int) - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 01:03

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 01:03
Hi,

Seems to be some confusion here :)
If I am talking from Kalbarri to Tamala (and further to Steep Point) I mean the track across the private property (along the coast for some 120km) and not the west coastal highway.

But as it seems, this is a bit slow going...

@ Disco Driver, when was your last visit?
I do take your remarks seriously and doubt if we will go that way ofter your comments, as we are not hyper-experienced desert dwellers and only are a one truck party.

If we would take off we would call Tamala station in advance of course, if only to ask permission.
AnswerID: 293264

Follow Up By: disco driver - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 01:31

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 01:31
Michael,
I worked that area from late 1989 to early 2001.Last visit was 2001 but track conditions will have changed very little since then.

All those tracks I referred to are private station tracks and are only smoothed by the stations using an inverted cattle grid, and VERY infrequently at that.

Most of the other posters are referring to the track/road into Tamala Stn from the Shark Bay Rd and then the road/track through to Useless Loop and Steep Point. These are more or less public access tracks and, as described, are quite do-able under most conditions..

Tamala to Steep Point is worth doing and there is some great fishing in this area, but the other bit (Kalbarri to Tamala) is a very isolated rough track.

Hope that helps

Disco aka Tony
FollowupID: 558920

Follow Up By: Member - Michel D (Int) - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 02:45

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 02:45
Tony,

Thanks for your accurate answers, very helpfull indeed.
After your comments I noticed tht people probably mistook the track for the normal access road to Steep Point. Judging from your comments we will just take the Shark Bay rd followed by the Useless Loop rd and then up to Steep Point. Thanks for the advice!
FollowupID: 558921

Follow Up By: disco driver - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 09:53

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 09:53
Sorry Michel (not Michael),

Do not miss Kalbarri, well worth a visit.

Try accessing Kalbarri this way.
Geraldton, Northampton, Port Gregory then north up the relatively new coastal drive up to Kalbarri, visiting the coastal gorges and Red Bluff on your way.
Leave Kalbarri and go out to the North West Coastal Hwy. (River gorges are worth a bit of time, but can be hot in summer) then north to Overlander Road Hse and Shark Bay turnoff.

Have a good trip.

Disco.
FollowupID: 558941

Follow Up By: kusanagi - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 23:29

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 23:29
Hi Disco,

No probs, I work for a UK company and people mix up my name on a daily bases. So I listen to anything that resembles the sound of my name (I am based in the Netherlands)

We will surely visit Kalbarri and will enter from south and will continue up north. Will check your suggested route tonight in Ozi.

Hope the temperatures will drop a little soon as we will enter Perth next week.

Thanks for all your support, much appreciated!

Cheers,

Michel
FollowupID: 559414

Reply By: Blaze - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 19:53

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 19:53
Hi Kusanagi,

We are heading that way in June. I wouldn't mind a copy of the plot you made for Ozi, it will save me a fair bit of time drawing it in myself.

If you are happy to send me the plot, my email is blazesport@tsn.cc
AnswerID: 293416

Follow Up By: kusanagi - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 23:33

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 23:33
Hi Blaze,

I have 100 waypoints created for that route based on a sattelite image. But as we are no longer undertaking that exact route, I cannot verify things for you. Please notice that the route is via Kalbarri, Murchison House, Tamala. And therefore through rugged terrain as I understood from Disco (see all above) But if you still want to have the waypoints of this outback route I am more than willing to post the to you of course.

Let me know if you are talking over the same intended route and I wil get back to you!

Michel
FollowupID: 559415

Follow Up By: Blaze - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 09:50

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 09:50
Hi Michel,

That is the track we are thinking about doing, Disco is exactly right from information I already had, the track is very hard work. We will have 3 vehicles all with winches, lockers etc, so we are expecting the conditions mentioned above. The waypoints would be handy if you have them and can email them.

Cheers
FollowupID: 559456

Follow Up By: kusanagi - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 18:02

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 18:02
Hi,

No problem, I don't have them on this PC but on my laptop at home. Will send them over tonight. (Central European Time)

We also have a winch on our LandCruiser but are only a one truck party, so we skip it this time. Maybe itake into our route if we do our west to east crossover of OZ in a few years :)

If you can let me know afterwards if the route was correct etc. you would make me a happy man!
FollowupID: 559513

Sponsored Links