Has anyone been to Wonnangatta recently?

Submitted: Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 10:59
ThreadID: 55621 Views:2422 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, we're planning to go to into Wonnangatta this wknd for the Easter break (along with hundres of others)!.
Haven't been there for a couple of years now.
We'll be going in via Zeka Spur and out via Herne Spur track.
Has anyone been up to Wonnangatta recently. Just wondering what the tracks are like and what the area is like up there now?
Any info would be great.
Thanks
Fiona
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mr Pointyhead - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 11:08

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 11:08
There is a road crew currently working out of Dargo maintaining a lot of the tracks. When I was up there over the labour day weekend the tracks where in excellent condition. Some tracks that are normally only bulldozed had even been graded !!. Also, the river levels are on the low sides making the fords easy (Could change if we get any rain). Only down side was that the tracks are very very dusty.
AnswerID: 293082

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 11:28

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 11:28
Fiona & Aaron,

I was down there a few weeks back. The tracks are very good.

If you have not been there in a few years you will notice that a lot of the area has been burnt but is starting to grow back.

The Zeka track has a couple of steep parts but it is a lot better now than a few years back.

Image Could Not Be Found

Wayne
AnswerID: 293087

Reply By: Fiona & Aaron - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:01

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:01
Thanks for the quick replies.
I read somewhere that some of the elm trees had been cut down up there. Is that true?
There is a camp up there amongst the elm trees named "Duffy's camp" which is actually named after my late father in law (Aaron's Dad). He use to do alot of work up there for the DSE. It'll be a shame if the elm tree's have been cut down.

Thanks again,
Fiona.

AnswerID: 293089

Follow Up By: Crackles - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:40

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:40
"It'll be a shame if the elm tree's have been cut down"
Well yes it's a shame because the trees are now a bit of history themselves, being a nice shady spot to set up the tent but then no the trees are becoming like weeds & big old branchs are falling regulary so it's only a matter of time before someone gets killed camping in there.
Cheers Craig............
FollowupID: 558717

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 14:21

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 14:21
Fiona & Aaron,

The trees have been cut. They were getting too tall and dangerous.

Image Could Not Be Found

But there is still plenty of shade.

Wayne
FollowupID: 558733

Reply By: Inland Sailor - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 17:09

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 17:09
Further to the Tracks Into Wonnangatta, does anybody, [possibly Crackles], know the current state of the track in from the East Buffalo River via Van Dammes.
Interested in its state as I'd like to come in this way towing a camper with an Auto TD Prado.
AnswerID: 293143

Follow Up By: Crackles - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 19:22

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 19:22
Haven't been in via Van Dammes since the fires but the route from East Buffalo road, East Riley Road then the Wonnangatta track hasn't changed much over the years so your Prado would have little trouble towing a proper offroad camper in that way. After heavy rain the track does have a couple of slippery sections requiring good AT tyres and of course the river crossing when entering the Valley has been known to get pretty deep but not so at the moment.
Heading in myself at Easter so will know more this weeknd :-)
Cheers Craig.........
FollowupID: 558829

Follow Up By: Inland Sailor - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 19:47

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 19:47
Cheers for that Craig. Look forward to your report early next week!!!
FollowupID: 558838

Follow Up By: Crackles - Monday, Mar 24, 2008 at 16:30

Monday, Mar 24, 2008 at 16:30
Hello Sailor ;-) Just back from Wonnangatta and the main route in from Myrtleford is in good condition & has almost no erosion ditches making it pretty straight forward to tow a camper in & out of the Valley.(even if it rains) All the other tracks in & out of the area were dry but cut up & powdery so when it rains they will be very challenging. Rivers are beween 200 & 500 deep.
It was raining lightly as we left.
Cheers Craig........
FollowupID: 560298

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 00:44

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 00:44
Hi,

I went in and out via Hernes Spur from Talbotville a week ago.

The river crossings are better since the floods. The crossing that had the big tree across the middle of it that you had to wind around is clear now.

All in all on the weekend according to my 8 y/o we did 47 river crossings - and probably none would have been deep enough to wet more than the side steps. (Not like a few years ago when the video on my website was taken.)

Apart from the fine dust that is prolific on all the recently worked tracks the tracks are in great nick. With all that dust a few could get very interesting if they get rain (unlikely).

Plenty of elms left, and the old bottom track seems to have re-appeared to get from Wonnangatta Station to the Hernes Spur/Wombat junction. There are some nice camping spots down that end too.

The fly nets weren't really needed, though keep an eye on the open drinks as the Euros were a PITA. Not a lot of them, but the ones that were there were persistent. We took a screen tent and the kids would only eat in there. They freaked every time a Euro landed on their snag or drink.

Have a great weekend. Don't forget your communications plan for emergencies - though these days you can get Next G coverage in Talbotville you don't in the 'gatta (thankfully).

Dave
AnswerID: 293516

Sponsored Links