COROMAL MAGNUM 420- CAMERONS CORNER TRIP

Submitted: Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:27
ThreadID: 55624 Views:6138 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We have a 4WD trip on next month to Camerons Corner via Menindee, Silverton, Broken Hill, Tibooburra & Whitecliffs and was after peoples thoughts on whether the camper will handle it

Approximately 600-700kms will be on dirt roads which I suppose will have some corrugations.

My camper is a Coromal Mirage 420. I have spoken to the local Coromal mechanic who does all their servicing and he believes the suspension will cope fine as long as I take it easy where required.

He also mentioned that lesser quality Coromals have done similar trips ie Oodnadatta track without incident
The suspension is 8 leafspring independent, however the tyres are only 14 inch.

What are peoples thoughts on ability to handle?. Have any of you taken similar set up campers to this area.

cheers Mick
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: pepper2 - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:48

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:48
I have corromal magnam 440 did that trip approx 2 yrs ago and went up the bore track handled those roads easily BUT had new goodyear MTR on the patrol i protected the rear windows from stone damage on the patrol the stones however ,destroyed the external battery box on the drawbar ,destroyed both ends of the pvc tubing holding the annex poles and tore apart the padding on the front of the van and punched holes through the front aluminium fanel of the van,fit a stone deflector on the van and protect the rear doors and windows of the vehicle
AnswerID: 293095

Follow Up By: Max - Sydney - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:56

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:56
Vans go through there all the time. Biggest hassle would be if it has rained (as it seems to have done a few times in the past year or two) as the chicken tracks can be a bit dodgy. However, subject to asking at the National Parks Office in Tibooburra and maybe the local cop too and ringing Innaminka you should make it ok.
Max
FollowupID: 558720

Reply By: crusher060 - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 13:09

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 13:09
Thank you both for your advice. Based on your info I will certainly arrange for a stone guard to be fitted.

Is the Coromal 440 the offroad version? The 620 I have is an on road version with lower clearance than the offroad type
AnswerID: 293100

Follow Up By: pepper2 - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 14:52

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 14:52
yes offroad version,heavier chassis,treg coupling 15 inch wheels,have you considered a treg or similar coupling .mine has approx 55l water tank can swap it for approx 80 litre tank it is longer but not much bigger in any other dimension so it will fit ok maybe an idea for yours
FollowupID: 558742

Reply By: Dave B (NSW) - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 13:56

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 13:56
Mick, the road between Tibooburra and White Cliffs has got quite a few creek crossing through there, more particularly from Cobham through to Morambie.
Don't worry about the depth of the water, it's the possible gutters that might be through the creek crossing that are the problem.
They will do a bit of damage to your suspension if there is gutters there. It depends if there has been rain and if the grader has been along after the rain.
If it does rain while you are in the area, you won't move too far.
The last 40 K's into White Cliffs from Tib is also subject to some bulldust holes too, so just take it a bit easy through Morambie.
You didn't say which way you were going to Menindee, but from Broken Hill to Tibooburra and CC is generally a good road and fairly well maintained.
The roads north of Broken Hill are maintained by the RTA, so you can check the latest info on this site.

Far West NSW Road Reports

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 293107

Reply By: crusher060 - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 14:50

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 14:50
Thanks Dave.

The route we are going is

Day 4. Wednesday 16th. Silverton to Tibooburra (362klms)
Travel along Silver City Highway stopping at thePacksaddle Roadhouse for morning tea, the Albert Hotel at Milparinka for lunch and continue on to Tibooburra, we will be staying at Dead Horse Gully Camping Grounds for the
night.
AnswerID: 293114

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 15:19

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 15:19
Go over all your van and replace any cable ties with wire, anything plastic, wire rubber infront of to take the rock rash, even brake wires on axles, remove cable ties as the rocks will real quick.
On another note, make sure you have a look through the NPWS office in the main street of Tibboburra....they have a great re-enactment of Sturts party through the scrub, and you will quickly appreciate why the locals were throwing spears at them....
Andrew
AnswerID: 293123

Reply By: Member - Hughesy (NSW) - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 22:30

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 22:30
G'Day Mick,

We are doing basically the same trip next Thursday. Starting at Broken Hill then to Whitecliffs - Tibooburra - CC - Broken Hill.

We'll be towing a Jayco Dove Outback, so reply to this message again in the first week of April after I've returned and I will let you know what the roads were like.

As Dave B has said unless they have recent rain (and we haven't had any of that for a long while) then you shouldn't have any dramas so long as you drive to conditions.

I'm just hoping it cools down before next week!!!
AnswerID: 293243

Reply By: crusher060 - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 22:56

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 22:56
ok thanks Hughesy will try to remeber to do that.

The Jayco outback has a lot higher clearance than my Coromal does, I'm reasonably confident the suspension should handle the conditions okay it was more the clearance issue I was concerned about, but I think I will take the chance on it.

My wife will be a lot more happy if we take the Coromal rather than a tent
AnswerID: 293248

Sponsored Links