Roofracks on pop top troopy... is it possible?

Submitted: Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 14:02
ThreadID: 55626 Views:5816 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hey trying to decide on pop top troopy or hard top troopy

i like the idea of having the extra heigh in the back of the troopy when im heading round oz, but also want to take a kayak or canoe to some areas. firewood on the roof rack would be great around camp but not necessary..

was wondering it its possible to buy a roof rack thats suitable for a pop top or if you can tie down a canoe or kayak to a pop top?

would also like to know some of the pros and cons between the pop top and the hard top that i havnt listed here

thanks

ben
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bennspoon - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 14:37

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 14:37
I havent seen any that will go on a pop top.
pop tops seem pretty rare as well so you might be paying more.
Troopys have a fair amount of room anyway and you dont spend much time in there, so I dont see it being much of a bonus. I had a hardtop with a huge roofrack so you dont need to fill the inside of the car at all if you dont want.

jerry cans, spare gas cylinders... not really best to keep em inside the car, I didnt think you can get racks that go onto a pop top.
AnswerID: 293110

Reply By: That Troopy Bloke (SA) - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 14:48

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 14:48
When you find out the answer, can you let us know?
I've dreamed up a few ideas for roof racks, but most are too involved/heavy/cumbersome for me. I think I will settle for a basket type arrangement above the windscreen, forward of the pop-top.

My idea for carrying a canoe was to make up 2 heavy roof bars, one forward of the pop-top, and one behind the pop-top. These bars would have a smaller bar telescoping inside of them. When you want to pop the roof up, it would be a simple matter of undoing the tie-downs, extending the inner bars, and sliding the canoe over to one side, then lifting the roof as normal.

You don't want any weight resting directly on the pop-top.
I have noticed even an 80 watt solar panel sitting on the roof will cause the pop-top to sag a little....the canvas won't be as taut as it usually is without the weight.

Pop-top vs High-top. I decided early on that I couldn't live with the extra height of the permanent high-top. Things to consider are wind resistance, under cover carparks, even trees can cause clearance problems. The only real advantage of a high-top is that you can store some gear up there while travelling, but I feel troopies are top heavy enough without adding too much height and weight up there.

My pop-top stands 2.2 metres tall as it is....it won't fit into most undercover carparks. I even had to modify my carport....just squeezes in now with only 5mm to spare:-)
It only cost me one smashed rooftop vent to realise the clearance or lack of:-(

Cheers
Glenn
AnswerID: 293112

Reply By: Member -Signman - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 14:49

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 14:49
If you just need a bed-for-the-night- there's enough room in the back of a standard Troopy for me & the missus. And that's with full length drawers, and the Engel in the back r/h corner.

Also, I can't see any probs. with mounting a pair of cross bars holding a kayak/canoe on the roof of a poptop!! The one's I've seen, there's about 8mm of fiberglass..

Just a suggestion, DON'T go for a hi-top. They don't like low branches...(not from experience)

AnswerID: 293113

Follow Up By: On Patrol (East Coast) - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 20:00

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 20:00
G'day Dave,
I'm trying to imagine Bev with full length drawers!!!!!! LOL
Colin.
FollowupID: 558843

Reply By: Tim Owen - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 20:28

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 20:28
I have just mounted 2 x 11kg solar panels on roof of pop-top troopie. I mounted rails using the existing bolts that hold the 'lift assembly' (there is some reinforcement in the fiberglass in this spot), and one additional bold through a new hole in the fiberglass at the rear. The additional weight makes the pop-top hard to pop and also reduces the tension on the canvas. Not sure what effect this will have.

The newer 'Kia' hire troopie pop-tops have a small area at the rear with a couple of stainless rails. Not sure what kind of weight they carry.

Good luck. I love the pop-top - we have a 100mm thick latex mattress up there permanently for a great nights sleep!

Tim
AnswerID: 293198

Follow Up By: benny_11 - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 12:30

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 12:30
any chance of some pics tim?
FollowupID: 559212

Follow Up By: Tim Owen - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:30

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:30
Yeh, possible. What specifically are you interested in?
FollowupID: 559335

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:47

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:47
Everything, Inside, outside, all the detail :-) would be good.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 559345

Sponsored Links