Rodeo 2.8 Diesel Coolant Loss

Submitted: Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 15:34
ThreadID: 55631 Views:5629 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
My mysterious coolant loss has further developed into oil in the radiator. Sounds expensive. Its done 254000km. I was wondering how other 2.8 Rodeo diesel are doing, I mean have you covered more kms without problems or if you had problems with the 2.8 engine what were they and how many kilometres had it done when this happened.
Mine has never overheated so i am a bit in the fabled Isuzu reliability.Its good on fuel, 11km per litre but minus the cost of this repair I am starting to think I should have been driving any of the 4.2 diesels as they would still probably be going well.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 16:49

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 16:49
I am not familiar with Rodeo 2.8 motors but have experienced these similar symptoms on a datsun 1600 rally car many years ago. was loosing coolant then notced oil in radiator.
took some finding as motor had never got hot and compression test showed no issues.radiator pressure test also didnt even indicate anything wrong.
finally tracked it down to a tiny corrosion hole in the alloy timing case behind the water pump.essentially the back of the water pump housing.
could be something similar
cheers
Howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 293138

Follow Up By: kwk56pt - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 17:25

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 17:25
Thanks for those thoughts, I was wondering about the timing cover and the oil cooler as possible sources other than the head.I was hoping my post might uncover a common or likely source of the problem.
Its had GMH coolant for most of its life and never over heated It does not run hot, not yet anywayTher are none of the tell tale signs of water in the oil. No milk like deposits on the filler cap . There are no bubbles i when I take the radiator cap off with it running My main concern at the moment is having someone tear the head off only to find the problem is elsewhere.
FollowupID: 558788

Reply By: hexrunt - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 17:02

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 17:02
Oh dear.

Back in my young days I have experienced several cars with this problem and it turned out to be a blown head gasket. You'll probably find a whitish, yellowish sludge on the oil dipstick (especially when engine is cold) and the engine will get harder to start. The sludge is caused by water and oil (similar to mayonnaise, I suppose - but don't taste it).
Back in my days (when engines were simpler) one could replace one's own head gasket from a kit for about $80. I have heard of Volvos costing in the thousands for a repair (as a friend had one) but wouldn't like to guess a price on any vehicle these days. Failing that prognosis, the head could be cracked or warped and may need welding and/or machining as well as new head gasket.

Good luck.
AnswerID: 293142

Reply By: wafarmer - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 17:28

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 17:28
Hi kwk56pt

Having had 6 Rodeo 2.8 TD 4WD's and done up to similar Ks if you are not getting bubbles in the radiatoralong with the coolant loss I would think it is the oil cooler which is part of the oil filter assembly if I remember correctly.

If you pull th head off look for cracks in the pistons as all our engine failures were from this caused by badly worn injectors.

If needed I have a workshop manual and may be able to help with dismantling the oil cooler or head as I have rebuilt three of them.

cheer's

wafarmer
AnswerID: 293147

Follow Up By: wafarmer - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 17:30

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 17:30
Also the turbo housing is water cooled so could be a place to investigate

wafarmer
FollowupID: 558791

Follow Up By: kwk56pt - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 17:59

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 17:59
The Turbo Mmmm, yes oil lubricated and water cooled. Thanks I will try to find out if that's possible. Were there any symptons to your badly worn injectors, I mean did it blow any black or white smoke or use moe fuel.
I zero my trip meter on every fill and it always takes 9 litres for every 100km travelled. So if my trip says 550k travelled since last fill it will take roughly 50 litres. that and no smoke and I have assumed all is well with the injectors. Yes they are original but if the head comes off I was planning to have them done up.
So sounds like the failures were around the same kays as mine (254K) I was curious about the symptoms before failure or was it just a surprise
FollowupID: 558804

Reply By: Chris & Debbie - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 18:06

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 18:06
kwk56pt
For oil to get into the cooling system it needs to be at a higher pressure. The most likely place where the oil pressure is above cooling system pressure is in the oil cooler, so removing and checking the cooler would be the best place to start.

Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

AnswerID: 293158

Follow Up By: kwk56pt - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 18:42

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 18:42
I should also have mentioned there has been a mysterious coolant loss for a couple of months. It probably was using the bulk of the contents of the expansion bottle over a month and about 1600kms. There also has been some white smoke infrequently on starting but I have only seen this twice in the last five weeks. It did it more frequently before that over two months but that problem went away when I swapped to BP from the Gull Fuel so I had assumed it was the quality of the fuel.
So if the higher pressure oil is getting from the oil cooler into the cooling system I was thinking I would still not lose any water as it should collect in the expansion tank and be drawn back to the radiator when the motor cools or could the extra pressure force water out of the expansion tank
FollowupID: 558820

Reply By: mike w (WA) - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 19:25

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 19:25
kwk,

254000 is pretty young for a rodeo. My previous rodoe had done 240000 when sold and no problems. From all reports they are a very reliable vehicle, but so are nissans and patrols ;)

Dont lose faith in the mighty rodeo just yet, take it to a reputable diesel mechanic (i.e. not a holden dealership) and atleast get it diagnosed. All comments sound pretty plausable.

Good luck
AnswerID: 293176

Follow Up By: kwk56pt - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 21:28

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 21:28
Anyone got a diesel mechanic here in Perth that they are excited about? I am in the Fremantle area of Perth
FollowupID: 558879

Sponsored Links