protecting your waranty(servicing)

Submitted: Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 19:28
ThreadID: 5564 Views:2343 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
just got the latest tech talk (vacc publication).all about waranty servicing.
whether routine service work on a motor vehicle not authorised by the manufacturer voids the manufactures warranty has been the subject of considerable debate and consideration over a number of years.
the matter was again considered by the vacc executive board at its meeting.
during its consideration of the issue the board noted a report from the accc.(australian compitition and consumer commision)
in 1991 the accc advised that if a warranted vehicle had routine general service carried out on it by an independant repairer,then providing that service was conducted by qualified staff,according to the manufacturers specifications and including the use of genuine or appropriate quality parts where required there would appear to be no reason why the warranty would be voided.in recent discusssions with the vacc,the accc confirmed its earlier view.
on the basis of this advice,the servicing of vehicles under waranty bols down to what is stated in the manufacturers warranty hand book or other manufacturers documentation whiich the car owner would be(or should be) aware of.
if the warranty hand book or other manufacturers documentation are silent on the issue(as they usually are)then service work by an independant repairer would not void the warranty.how ever it is open for a manufacturer(in its warranty or other documentation)to expressly prohibit service work on a warranted vehicle by an independant repairer.in this circumstance,such service work on the warranted vehicle would void the warranty.
to be absalutely certain in each case, each warranty(and other relevent documentation)would need to be checked.
where service work on a warranted vehicle by an independant repairer voided a warranty and the manufacturer refused to honor the warranty,the independant repairer may well be exposed by legal action by a disgruntled vehicle owner.
source...vacc consumer advise

a little boring reading but might be important
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 01:05

Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 01:05
They just love to get us by the short ones hey?
keeps the green coming in if its all genuine for them.
what about aftermarket warranties ?1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
AnswerID: 23114

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 09:12

Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 09:12
Can you imagine Honest (K-I-A) Ozi in a backwards town like Wheelabarraback working on what he things is a new Holden (HR), then in drives a 2003 7 series BMW with a problem...

Then Honest says yea no problems, opens the bonnet, and looks where teh engine should be, and there aint! He wouldnt know where to plug in his shifter... There are no points, plugs or battery in sight!!

There are some cars that the average Honest Ozi cant work on, and need a genuine dealer.

AnswerID: 23125

Follow Up By: ThePublican - Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 20:12

Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 20:12
RACQ main service depot Brisbane could not find safety fuel cutout switch on Ford Explorer until pointed out by owner,{ me } ,then again even Ford Australia cant tell what the 22 pin plug under a cover just below the steering wheel is for,,,
FollowupID: 15351

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 20:23

Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 20:23
Dont know what RACQ stands for but NRMA stands for

N o
R eal
M echanic
A vailable.
FollowupID: 15353

Follow Up By: johnsy - Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 08:33

Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 08:33
Truckster what about
N ot
R eally
M y
A rea
FollowupID: 15382

Follow Up By: ThePublican - Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 16:48

Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 16:48
Royal
Automobile
Club
Queensland. ,,,,
FollowupID: 15411

Reply By: herkman - Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 08:49

Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 08:49
We had problems with our ML270, when we announced that we would carry out the servicing, and they could fix the warranty items.

Eventually they backed away, mainly because my source of info in the USA, was better than theirs through the normal system.

Three times we caught them out, not knowing what I would expect for them to know, but did not.

The issue was finalized, when on one trip to dealership, to have yet another go at the warranty failure, we found three ML's on the showroom floor, which had faulty Dunlop tyres on them. Both dealer and MBA, had no knowledge that there was a recal on on NOV 2001 production.

After much tooing and froing, I think it was all too much, our ML was serviced to a better standard than what MB called for.

I stated that my understanding, is that the owner is responsible for ensuring the car is serviced to a minimum of the OEM standard, and the OEM is required to attend to all proper warrantee work.

With many 4WD's, there are few if any service outlets in the bush, so from a practable point of view, it cannot be achieved. The OEM's would do better, to educate owners what they are responsible to do, and to desist from what is a common problem, in not making service publications available, at a reasonable price.

Wlist on this subject, the prices asked by some OEM's for service publications, are excessive to say the least. Yet if you source them from overseas, they are reasonable. My ladies new Civic is a good example, quoted by HONDA AUST at $1500, sourced from HONDA USA at A$100. Of course no one could explain why.

Regards

Col Tigwell
AnswerID: 23187

Reply By: Steve from Offroad Shop - Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 11:04

Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 11:04
One thing to remember,

A lot of work / repairs are done by a manufacturer on 'goodwill'

This is outside of warranty (either warranty has expired, or the break is not a warranty item (abuse / worn out etc)

this is where a long and Regular Service History with the Dealership pays off, as you have supported the Manufacturer, they support you.

Get it serviced by Joe Mechanic up the road, and The Manufacturer isn't going to help you much when it comes to GoodWill Repairs..

Steve
03 Prado GX Tdi
(who always gets it serviced at the local Toyota Dealer :)
AnswerID: 23268

Sponsored Links