Telit SAT550

Submitted: Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 21:12
ThreadID: 55647 Views:2018 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Have the aforementioned Sat phone and recently I'm getting a Regulator....2 message on the screen. The Globalstar/Pivotel help desk reckoned that they have never encountered this before.

Has anybody else had this message appear and if so what is it?

The girl also said that Globalstar launched another Satellite last week so fingers crossed things may improve.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 21:16

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 21:16
Each Globalstar satellite is in view for an average of 10 minutes.

One extra satellite will mean about 10 minutes of extra coverage every 10 hours.
AnswerID: 293221

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 21:20

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 21:20
It's a bit like Telstra saying "Mobilenet has 98% coverage in Australia" - hoping it will give the customer a warm feeling that their phone will be usable in 98% of Australia - when in fact it means that 98% of Australians are in a coverage area.
FollowupID: 558873

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 23:30

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 23:30
Hi Duncan, we took our Sat phone (Qalcom, Globalstar) out through the wheat belt last Friday and got coverage out there for most of the day, now before people start loading up their keyboards ready to fire I know that the further North of the country you go the worse it gets but we found a marked improvement in the coverage in the southern half of the State than 12 months ago, so here's hoping!!!!!!!!!

To answer your question re the message on the screen, no we haven't had that on ours

Cheers

Deanna

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 293252

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 00:39

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 00:39
Hi Deanna according to the girl today they intend to add more eventually. She also said that they currently have 6 out of 8 in orbit. Don't know if that means that they have 8 Sats or that 8 is the maximum they are allowed to have.

Have found that now I'm getting a full charge on the battery the phone is a lot better.

Got it serviced in Midland Gate by the Chinese guys near Big W cheap as chips and very efficient.

Also have to agree with Mikes comments above. Coverage available where the people are. Trouble is the Sat phone is for where the people aren't.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 558918

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 04:04

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 04:04
From what I have gathered they have been trying to replace the old sats that are no use anymore with 8 new ones, unfortunately it seems that they have taken a couple of years to do it and still they haven't got them all up yet. Once they get the sats up it takes some time before they can get them in operation but from our experience the other day the service is starting to improve, we can cope with that service for the time being, when we head North again that could be a different story.

Cheers

D

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 558923

Follow Up By: Member - John R (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 20:08

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 20:08
The 8 replacement sats are already up, only 6 yet in position and operational. Doesn't seem to have made any difference here in cQ, even according to the official G'star availability website (nor in practice - maybe even slightly worse if anything!). Time to give it away. :-(

Anyone want a sat phone???

Cheers, John
FollowupID: 559059

Sponsored Links