How to use a Black Rat "Tirfor" winch?

Submitted: Friday, Jun 20, 2003 at 22:40
ThreadID: 5571 Views:13318 Replies:8 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Howzit!
Just received my 1600kg Black Rat "Tirfor type" winch and never having used one before I am sitting here at work puzzling on its application. I've seen alot of the lighter tirfors have an integrated "hook" at the back of the unit - so I can see how that works: two hocks, winch end connected to a solid object and the other to whatever needs winching, check for safety and winch away. But with the BR Tirfor I've got, there is no hook on it's back, no room for a shackle either (if i remember rightly as I got it last night and it's still sitting in the middle of the lounge at home) - so how does one "connect" it to the said "solid object"? Anyone know of a winching lesson 101 other than the one at [ http://www.landroverclub.net/Club/HTML/Recovery_Tirfor1.htm ]?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wazza (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 07:50

Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 07:50
Enzo,

Although not specifically for hand winches (ie, it won't explain the use of a Black Rat hand winch), this site is a good read for all the forces that apply in winching in general.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Recovery/index.htmlCheers,
Wazza
----------------------
AnswerID: 23118

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 08:46

Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 08:46
"Anyone know of a winching lesson 101 other than the one at [ http://www.landroverclub.net/Club/HTML/Recovery_Tirfor1.htm ]? "

yea go to a club and learn to use it safely and properly....

YMMV
AnswerID: 23121

Follow Up By: stillthinkinaboutit - Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 09:01

Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 09:01
Had a look at that site Truckster, mmmmmm,
How do I get my wife to use use the Tirfor ?
I can just imagine her :)
FollowupID: 15326

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 09:05

Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 09:05
I dunno, but if you can get her to use it once, then 10 mins later show her your mate using his Warn, almost guarentee she will allow you to get an elect winch the next day!
FollowupID: 15327

Follow Up By: stillthinkinaboutit - Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 09:18

Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 09:18
Electric makes it too easy :)

No greasy dirty bleep on your hands, face, clothes.
Sweat dripping from everywhere, even filling your boots.

And thats just getting the bloody thing out of the truck :)
FollowupID: 15332

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 09:22

Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 09:22
Ive said it before and I'll say it again.

People may not use elec winches all the time, but spend just ONE day, 4-6 hrs on a Turfor sun baking your brains, in 30+degree heat or throw in 89% humidity to make it comfortable and tell me its not time for an electric winch!

Your Fitness May Vary!
FollowupID: 15334

Reply By: stillthinkinaboutit - Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 08:50

Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 08:50
Hi Enzo,

I have a Tirfor T516 ( 1600kg ) and one end has a pin that is about 25mm diameter, this is the attachment point. You can see a small piece of chain that attaches to the retaining clip.

From what I have seen the Black Rat is a copy of the original Tirfor so it should have the pin, unless it is missing, lost in transit !

Regards,
Mark
AnswerID: 23122

Follow Up By: stillthinkinaboutit - Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 09:12

Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 09:12
Hi Enzo,

I should have said that the Black Rat is a copy of the Tirfor 'T' series, ie the T508 and T516 and would have the pin as I have described.

The units shown on the site truckster mentioned are the heavy duty units, same ratings of 800kg and 1600kg, but more solidly constructed to withstand a lot more abuse and weigh quite a bit more than the 'T' series.
FollowupID: 15330

Reply By: enzo - Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 09:18

Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 09:18
Aha! Since I've been home I've double checked the winch and I now see how it works: like you say, there is a large bar running across the width of the rear of the winch (which I originally thought was part of the winching mechanism), I'll connect this bar to a solid object using a D or bow shackle and a tree protector or chain.

Many thanks for that info - it was really bugging me because I couldn't look at the winch coz I was at work and the winch was at home, and because of the time difference (UK) you guy's couldn't give me an answer straight away. It's all very clear and obvious to me now. Many thanks.

Many thanks for the pirate 4x4 link as well, there seems a span of information there to absorb. As to joining a club - the club scene for non-landies isn't big here and anyway, a manual winch isn't "macho" enough for most of the johnnies I see over here - they are at one end of the spectrum (AWDC - modified / comp safaris) or at the other (Using a 4.5L, £60,000 RangeRover for something as arduous as a shopping trip) but they all seem to have money to burn coz they wont go offroad without an electric winch, preferably Warn!

I've got my handwinch now - I'll check around to see if I can find someone with winching experience and then find a nice quiet area (!) to get some practice in.

Thanks to all who replied.

Enzo - Bundubasher
AnswerID: 23129

Reply By: sean - Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 13:32

Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 13:32
There is still more to it.

To get the cable thru the winch you have to disengage the jaws and that is what hte yellow lever is for.

To operate the yellow lever, a fair bit of force has to be applied to it to get it to go the full way.

If you cant get the cable through, bash the yellow lever as hard as you can with the palm of your hand in the direction of the arrow and when it goes right, the cable it easy to pull through.

Make sure you also have a pully block so of you are really stuck you can double up the cable.

Good luck

Sean

AnswerID: 23144

Follow Up By: raybates - Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 17:51

Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 17:51
Yes I must agree with Sean. Being in the constrution industry for many years, once you have passed the Tirfor wire through the winch, leave it there.
I don't know if you have noticed but Tirfor wire is much harder than normal wire and should be treated with repect because if it is damaged in any way it could also damage the Tirfor and never try to use ordinary wire through the Tirfor mechanism as this can cause ordinary wire to slip.
It is not recomended to pass a Tirfor wire through a snatch block because of the construction of the Tirfor wire, If for some reason you should need to pass the wire through a snatch block to increase pulling power, use ordinary wire that conforms with the UTS of the Tirfor wire but do not use bulldog (wire) clamps on the Tirfor wire.
Finally do not extend the cranking handle as there is a sheer pin installed and this will sheer if the Tirfor is over loaded. If a normal sized person cannot crank the handle then the Tirfor is overloaded and double reeving is necessary via a snatch block as previously described. This will double the pulling power of the Tirfor without damaging it. I would strongly recomend that you place the Tirfor to the puller (ie tree or picket) rather than the pullee (ie vehicle). If you reverse this you will find alot of used wire near your vehicle which could be a nusance and be dangerous.
If using a Tirfor for recovery puposes, which I don't, I would also carry two kidney chains and a number of suitably sized shackles
FollowupID: 15414

Follow Up By: enzo - Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 23:14

Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 23:14
What's a "kidney chain"?
FollowupID: 15439

Reply By: raybates - Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 09:46

Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 09:46
A kidney chain works simular to a choke chain for a dog. It is a length of chain that has an extra large ring at each end that allows you to pass one end through the other
AnswerID: 23265

Follow Up By: raybates - Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 09:51

Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 09:51
Tirfors may be used for lifting as well as pulling. It that case the capacity of the Tirfor is devided by half. ie 1600kg pulling 800klgs lifting
FollowupID: 15456

Reply By: Member - Peter (WA) - Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 15:25

Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 15:25
enzo why dont you start your own club for the non up themselves in your area , we started a small club in our town and have a ball with diferant members leading a trip each month from a day trip to a week away , its a great way to meet new people and do some networking , we have every thing from cabinet makers to blacksmiths to a dentist and we find that we can swap favours within the group (EXCEPT FOR THE DENTIST) LOL remember a powre winch can only pull a 4x4 forward where a hand winch will pull from behind or sideways ,I have a handwinch for that reason .Born to drive a 4x4 , not a keyboard
Peter York 4x4
AnswerID: 23288

Reply By: enzo - Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 18:55

Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 18:55
Raybates, just FYI - The Black Rat is a "hoist" not a winch and a 1600 kg rated (Australian design rules, Lifting specs etc.) hoist at that. So it will hoist 1600kgs and therefore will straight winch at least 1600kgs. Anyway, for winching my rig (GVW 2510kg) I'd use a snatchblock (or two if it's bogged down further as far as the axle). The pirate 4x4 article that is pointed out above makes very interesting reading concerning the winching forces needed to extract different "levels" of stuck vehicles.
AnswerID: 23306

Sponsored Links