drivers door gets the slam

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 20:46
ThreadID: 55718 Views:2059 Replies:8 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
I am promted by a skip of the heartbeat today to whinge about people who get out of the drivers side without the merest glance in the mirror for following traffic. I am so paranoid about following traffic I always wait for a clear patch before I get in or out. So many loose head drug and alcohol affected drivers out there.

But I feel better now (i have had my whinge)

Owen

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Louie the fly - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 21:03

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 21:03
Once I was parked in a carpark with a trailer on back and a piece of antique furniture in it, so taking up two parks. A car pulled up next to me and as I took off one of her kids opened the door between the car and trailer. I immediately stopped when I felt the jolt. The door had been pulled back toward the front guard. Lucky the kid didn't jump out or it could have been killed.

The stupid sheila tried to put the blame on me as well. Think she got the whatsnames on when I told her the furniture was worth more than her car anyway.
AnswerID: 293671

Follow Up By: obee - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 09:27

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 09:27
I once saw a driver (I wont mention her gender) pull left as if to allow following car to get past (she was travelling slow) then suddenly put the right indicater on and catch the following car on her rear end.

People make mistakes but I am picking up on your description of how they try to shift the blame. This person claimed to be driving along minding her own business when the other car ran into her. I went witness which is a big ask considering the trouble they put you thru. Statements and getting to court to wait till the last case and get told a guilty plea had already been taken.

Oh well.

Owen
FollowupID: 559453

Reply By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 21:33

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 21:33
A lot of poeple don't look before opening doors now,It's all about how important they are (in their heads) and how the world should fit around them, and if you do hit the the idiot, they will blame you because you should've know they where about to get out!

I hooked a door from a cab in the city, a few years ago now, The passenger decided that they where close enough and he will pay the fare at the taffic lights and bail, OK say's cabbie, bloke opens passenger side front door, but doesn't allow for the fact we are facing down hill and inadvertanly allows door to rest on one of my drive tyres (unkonwn to me, I'm anticipating the green light), just as the lights go to green I move off and feel a thud and see a the taxi beside me, shoot up in the air about a foot!
What had happen was the rotation of the tyre cause the door the "lock on" and the more it turned, the harder the lock. I made the door 300 mm shorter and pushed the "A" pillar forward and cracked the windscreen, suggesting to me MAJOR damage to the structual integrity of the falcon.
The cabbie wasn't a happy camper, the fare felt "bad about it", but "see ya" was what I last heard, and I have since found out that cabbies are NOT allowed to let fares out while stopped at lights, I wonder why?
This is abit different to what your initial post was about, but does show that even when you think it's OK to open a door, it's not always and the professional door operators (cabs) stuff up, or allow others to stuff up.

Shane
AnswerID: 293685

Reply By: Member - David P (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 21:59

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 21:59
Or mums bolting their newest in on the ""T R A F F I C S I D E "" !!! (anybody home?)....slvrbk
AnswerID: 293696

Follow Up By: Member - andrew B (Kununurra) - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 11:20

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 11:20
Hi David

I'd prefer our newest bolted on the trafic side, as he cannot let himself out of his seat yet, wheras our not as new likes to do everything herself. Of course we are considerate with traffic and park accordingly so as not to cause any hazards getting the young bloke out, but it has avoided the need to use the child lock on the doors (which I have issues with....another story perhaps...)

We may have to use the child lock on that door in the future, when the ability to release himself is gained, but for now we'd prefer it tha way it is.

Cheers Andrew

PS - it can make us look silly if our eldest isn't in the car, but changing the seats over is a PITA
FollowupID: 559474

Reply By: Andrea11 - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 22:30

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 22:30
Hi there Owen,

Just to add to your thread, our pet hate with traffic is when you are legally supposed to merge and the fool beside you can see you have to merge deliberatly looks the other way and refuses to let you into the lane.

Andrea
AnswerID: 293713

Follow Up By: DIO - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 10:53

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 10:53
Vehicle changing lanes MUST give way to any other vehicle travelling in the lane into which they wish to move.

Australian Road Rules
Division 4—Driving in marked lanes or lines of traffic. Sections 146, 147, 148 and 149. A.R.R. Link

For those not sure of what this means, the following is from A.R.R.

For this rule, give way means the driver must slow down and, if necessary, stop to avoid a collision—see the definition in the dictionary.

Obligation to give way:

There are a number of rules requiring a driver to give way to another driver or a pedestrian.
However, under the Rules the other driver or pedestrian does not have a "right" of way. Indeed, in some situations, a number of drivers may be required to give way to each other, eg at an
intersection with a stop sign or give way sign on more than 1 of the intersecting roads.
Similarly, although a driver may be required to give way to a pedestrian, the pedestrian is required under rule 236 (1) not to cause a traffic hazard by moving into the driver's path.

COURTESY. What is it?

From Dictionary.com Link comes the following definition (meaning of word):

courtesy

noun
1. a courteous or respectful or considerate act
2. a courteous or respectful or considerate remark
3. a courteous manner [ant: discourtesy]

So as you can see, courtesy is something that is given by one to another. Despite what many may think, courtesy is not something that you can demand or insist on from another (driver). You can ask for it, however it is always something that is given. If/when it is given, don't forget to say thanks - a simple wave of the hand, nod of the head or whatever is considered acceptable. However is someone for some reason doesn't show you an act of courtesy, DON'T give them the fingers, blast the horn, tailgate them etc BECAUSE they may have considered to have done so MAY heve placed themselves or others into danger or at risk and in doing so would/might have been considered to have been Driving Without Due Care or perhaps even Manner Dangerous etc. YOU cannot know what is iin the mind of or what has or hasn't been perceived by the other driver. SO, don't be unreasonably JUDGEMENTAL or CONDEMMING.

So when changing lanes, with your indicator flashing in the hope that someone will GIVE you some courtesy and let you into the lane, REMEMBER, (1) the onus is on the vehicle changing lanes to GIVE-WAY and (2) the act of COURTESY is something that is given NOT demanded by someone who through ignorance or stupidity thinks that they can change lanes at will without any consideration for or of other road users.

Road Rules have been designed and implemented in order to provide a uniform set of rules with the expectation that motorists would comply thus creating uniform behaviour on our roads resulting in less collisions (not accidents), road rage and other socially unacceptable behaviour.

Have a safe and Happy Easter.
FollowupID: 559469

Follow Up By: robak (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 11:33

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 11:33
Dio that depends on the type of merging

Giving way when merging

Example 1
When lines of traffic merge, you must give way to any vehicle that is ahead of you. In example 1, Vehicle B gives way to vehicle A.

Example 2
If your lane comes to an end, you must give way to traffic already in the lane you are moving to.
In example 2, Vehicle A gives way to vehicle B.

see page 76
http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/resources/file/eb82ba0f445a0ed/Pdf_your_keys_may_07_complete.pdf

FollowupID: 559479

Follow Up By: Member - Christopher P (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 18:23

Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 18:23
In NSW there is a law which governs this and its called the zipper effect, where if the car thats merging has the right of way if it is front of the car beside it. ie from edge of back drivers door, if the car in right lane doesn't slow down he is in the wrong for not letting you in, ie Giving way!!! this law came in around 2001 june, i know as i had to learn it for my truck license.

better and safer.

suppose to be when f wits do read and follow the law
FollowupID: 559936

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 23:50

Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 23:50
I always thought when mergin if push does come to shove then the oldest rule in the traffick law applies
- Give way to your right
FollowupID: 559975

Follow Up By: Member - Christopher P (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 15:18

Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 15:18
Nope if you are in front of him he has to give way to you!!! if he hits you and you can prove you gave ample warning to him, ie: indicate then his arrrrse is grass and the cops and insurance company will mowit!!!

Will put link up!!!

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/downloads/2007_10ruh_english.pdf

page 87: depends on lines i thought it applied to all merging traffic, must have being one of the ???'s i got wrong then???

FollowupID: 560030

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 22:32

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 22:32
Try riding a bike in a bike lane. Parked cars open their doors any time they like....can do a lot of damage to the bike rider.
AnswerID: 293714

Follow Up By: Outnabout David (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 23:27

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 23:27
You should be packing by now!
FollowupID: 559413

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 08:06

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 08:06
hehehe
Just hitting the road now (7.30). See you there - weather should be perfect, not so sure about the dust!
FollowupID: 559442

Reply By: Member - Stuart W (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 22:36

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 22:36
I lived in London for some years in the late 90's.I got about on a bicycle and drivers doors opening without thought were a major hazard.My wife had a colleague who was killed by hitting a n opening door.
Stuart
AnswerID: 293715

Reply By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 00:10

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 00:10
A few years ago, a driver in Midland (WA) opened their driver's door without checking traffic and clobbered a cyclist going by. The cyclist was catapaulted into passing traffic and tragically run over.
AnswerID: 293728

Reply By: DIO - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 10:59

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 10:59
See Australian Road Rules Link , Part 16, Rule 269........

(3) A person must not cause a hazard to any person or vehicle by opening a door of a
vehicle, leaving a door of a vehicle open, or getting off, or out of, a vehicle.

AnswerID: 293765

Sponsored Links