Trojan Battery

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 at 23:46
ThreadID: 55728 Views:2083 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I believe I have just cooked my Trojan battery in a major way. I had left it off charge for a few months and after a few phone calls found you can't recharge a dead battery with with a Arrid smartcharger. So I proceeded to use a trickle charger to bring up the volts and then switched back to the smart charger without checking the fluid levels(Hard to reach places). Yep, now the Positive pole has bubbled up slightly and seems to be draining fairly quick, although holding charge with no load. When I can I will still check it with a hydrometer.

Question - Trojan 115AH still value for money?(battery size seemed to be working for us)

Thanks
Will
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Baz & Pud (Tassie) - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 07:07

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 07:07
Have one in the Cruiser, think it was $230, or thereabouts

Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 293732

Reply By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 12:34

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 12:34
When they're dead, they're dead, sorry!
Especially when one lug has lifted, indicating swelling inside. Leaving them discharged for weeks is a certain way to death.
I had a Trojan, which was totally dead after 2 years (the warranty period) despite never mistreating it, and I don't think I got value. I originally bought it for the 115AH advertised capacity, but I know from a controlled measurement that it was only delivering about 70AH in its first year. I've had better performance out of Exides and Challengers at a lot lower cost.
Gerry
AnswerID: 293775

Reply By: Mainey (wa) - Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 04:45

Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 04:45
Will,
Looks like a good reason to replace it with an AGM Deep Cycle battery

Obviously the Trojan is not good value for money when it's left unattended for a few months, where an AGM can safely be left, with little voltage drain, for the same time period.

Mainey . . .
AnswerID: 293915

Sponsored Links