WAVE ROCK

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 19:49
ThreadID: 55756 Views:3745 Replies:6 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

Later this year I am driving from Wagga Wagga to Wiluna to 'do' the CSR.

I would like to detour and take a look at Wave Rock.

Is there a track/road/circuit from Norseman to Wave Rock to Kalggoorlie?

If not which way would you go?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - The W (WA) - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 20:10

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 20:10
Yes, if you want to go FROM Norseman you can go straight along the Noresman Hyden road then you could go up the Holland Track to Coolgardie/Kalgoorlie or from Hyden to Southern Cross which is a more used road but I would go the Holland Track personally. We enjoyed those roads. Don't try towing a van on the Holland Track though, it is way too narrow and low in places too.
Have a safe and happy journey.

Enjoy life, you only get one.
The Wattos.
AnswerID: 293843

Reply By: Member - The W (WA) - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 20:13

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 20:13
Sorry KiwiAngler, I forgot to say both tracks are clearly marked on the Hema Map and in the Camps 4 book and there are lots of camp spots on both for you to enjoy.

The Wattos
AnswerID: 293844

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 12:10

Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 12:10
The Wattos

Thank you for your replies - have looked at my Hema maps and can see the tracks etc that you refer to - I will now 'factor' it in to my Wagga/CSR/Wagga trip and see if I can fit it in :-))))

Thats the trouble when you plan a great trip and start to research it in a bit more detail you keep on finding these great sites 'just' off the planned track and you can't resist a look :-))))

Before you know it a 1 month trip turns into a 2 month into a 3 month etc :-))) - not that I would care but my boss has indicated that if I take more than 1 month to do the wagga/csr trip it could turn into 'a career limiting move' :-))))))))
FollowupID: 559690

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 20:33

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 20:33
The answer lies 10 posts below at 55746. Look and you shall find....lol
AnswerID: 293846

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 11:28

Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 11:28
Willem

It was while I was reading that post (55746) that I first became aware of Wave Rock and that is what prompted my post.
I cannot see where the post (55746) says that I can go FROM Norseman TO wave Rock and then TO Kalgoorlie (loop) and then continue onto the CSR.

I DID look but I DIDN'T FIND - lol

So having got that out of the way - what route would YOU suggest?
FollowupID: 559674

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 12:04

Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 12:04
Hmmmmmmm

>that is from Wave Rock to Norseman.<

Never mind. Go from Norseman to Hyden to Wave Rock and then take some back tracks to the Holland Track and then to Coolgardie and then to Kal etc. OR from Wave Rock, north to the Great Eastern Highway, and then Cal and Kal and beyond OR go where the others say....LOL

Invest in a good map an plan your route from there. Even the ole Hema Road Atlas' are good enough.

Cheers

FollowupID: 559687

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 12:15

Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 12:15
Willem

Thanks mate - yes agree about the maps - have a LARGE box of paper maps (including the last 2 versions of Hema Great Desert Tracks) and also have them on computer

Actually reckon it is the 'peering over the maps' for hours is 1/2 the fun of the trip planning.

have been 'planning' this one since i got back from the Simpson last year - trouble is I keep on 'finding' places that I want to see along the way :-))))))

I arrived in 2000 and have been travelling ever since - cant get enough of the place :-))))
FollowupID: 559693

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 13:39

Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 13:39
Yeah, I arrived in 68 and I am still exploring. Have'nt been to Cape York or Tassie yet. Hope I don't run out of time....LOL

Cheers
FollowupID: 559710

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 22:33

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 22:33
Hi Kiwi Angler

On the way across from Norseman to Hyden, in addition to the Breakaways, there are a number of interesting rocks, mostly with wave faces. Watch for the signs. You can camp at most of these, and they usually have pit toilets.

Take the road north from Lake Johnston until the road east which goes to Cave Hill. Alternatively you can get to Cave Hill from near Widgiemooltha but i haven't been that way. It is more spectacular than Wave Rock, and in addition to the Wave and Cave face, it has a number of historic dams on the large rock, as collecting water from the granite outcrops was the best method of obtaining water during the gold rush era.

Image Could Not Be Found

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 293886

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 11:31

Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 11:31
Motherhen

Excellent response - do I take it then that in your opinion Cave Hill would be a better sight, especially if one had limited time to 'detour' from the original route that I had planned i.e Wagga Wagga to Wiluna to CSR?
FollowupID: 559676

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 11:55

Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 11:55
MotherHen

Looking at my maps - coming from Wagga (east) along the Eyre Hwy I come to Norseman - turn North - I then come to Higginsville - turn west to Cave Hill - on my hema map I dont see an access to/from Widgiemooltha.

So I guess it is one way in one way out from Higginsville to cave Hill? - do you agree?
FollowupID: 559684

Follow Up By: Jimbo (WA) - Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 12:26

Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 12:26
KiwiAngler,

You can head towards Coolgardie from Cave Hill via Burra Rock and Nepean Mine which should be on your HEMA map; there is no need to go back out to Higginsville if you don't want to. (Higginsville must be a huge place - I don't recall having ever seen it in my travels on that stretch of highway)
FollowupID: 559696

Follow Up By: mike w (WA) - Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 12:35

Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 12:35
Higginsville is an old pumping station a few kms off of the main highway. Not much there these days except for a couple of old buildings, and a very interesting up ended combi van that has been turned into a toilet. Worth the diversion, plus a good track to follow to cave hill.

I will have a dig through my plot files etc, I recall having something.

As for one in, one way out. Definately not. There are plenty of tracks to follow. My suggestion would be hiiginsville to cave hill, then cave hill along the cave hill woodlines (a diss used railway line, a good bit of history), onto Victoria rock, North to Coolgardie and then on to kal.
FollowupID: 559698

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 15:33

Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 15:33
Yes, i recall it is Higginsville - i didn't look at the map last night, and we didn't go that way. Mike W's suggestion above sounds the best idea. We drove a few different tracks around the rocks, including Burra Rock to the North of Cave Hill, and the huge Victoria Rock on the Victoria Rock Road.

I purchased the booklet Explore the Holland Track and Cave Hill Woodlines from the ExplorOz shop, which gives a good history or the Woodlines. I printed David's Trek Notes for the Holland Track which was the easiest to follow. I see he has also added a Trek Note for the Cave Hill Woodlines and a small loop to the north of Kalgoorlie Coolgardie.

We also did the loop to the north of Kalgoorlie, following the tourist booklet for the Golden Quest Discovery Trail.

My trip notes for this holiday are in the new MyBlog section.

Wave Rock was something i had always wanted to see, as it was pictured on a calendar when i was a tiny tot. At that time it was really way out at the end of the road, so it was only when we were stationed in the wheat belt that we went to see it a couple of times.

The most recent visit disappointed me. However I applaud the locals who have made it a tourist feature on the international scene. With a crowded caravan park, and tourist shops near the rock, it is not really my scene. Also scrub has grown near the face, which prevents the traditional photo of the whole wave.

A few years ago, a work colleague who was from NSW saw it and was amazed at the 'unique' wave face. I assured here there were hundreds of rocks through WA and some in SA with wave like faces.

I know there are many other breakaways, but i found the Breakaways on the way to Hyden a colourful surprise and a excellent camping spot, if you go that far.

Image Could Not Be Found

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 559729

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 17:55

Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 17:55
There are 2 ways to get to Cave Hill from Norseman. First is to take the slow track from Higgensville and the other is the excellent dirt road in from Widgiemooltha.

from there you can either take the woodline out to Victoria rocks road and th to Coolgardie via Victoria rocks and Gnarlabine rocks
or
take the Woodline (slow)to Bura rocks

or
take the road to Burra rocks and then on to Coolgardie
Then you can stay on the dirt all the way to Leonora while checking out the Golden Quest Discovery trail
GQDT
FollowupID: 559755

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 23:05

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 23:05
I have just tried out the ExplorOz blog section, and loaded my trip notes (not trek notes) for the Holland Way, Woodlines and Discover Trail into MyBlog.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 293899

Reply By: Member - Matt- Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 12:40

Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 12:40
Must put in 2 cents worth, Cave Hill over Wave Rock any day! But you'll only know that once you see both! lol
AnswerID: 293962

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 13:03

Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 13:03
Hey Matt - thanks for the reply

Perhaps I should start a poll to see who thinks which is 'better' :-))))

At this stage I am leaning towarrds Cave Rock - purely on time/distance from my original trip plan
FollowupID: 559704

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 15:45

Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 15:45
KiwiAngler

Cave Hill would romp it in.Camp there and allow some time looking at three main areas. To the right, the track goes around to a campsite and a larger single dam. To the left, the campsite accesses an area of the rock with a number of small and interlinked dams and collection points. In between, is the cave and wave face.

With your very tight time frame, i would choose Cave Hill and skip Wave Rock. After all, you have come to do the CSR on a short time plan. Perhaps, to amend Mike's plan, go Higginsville to Cave Hill, then north along the Woodline to Burra Rock and on to Coolgardie.

Image Could Not Be Found

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 559731

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 16:26

Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 16:26
With apologies to Jimbo who already suggested that way.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 559739

Sponsored Links