Scroooooooooby

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 21:04
ThreadID: 55763 Views:2844 Replies:9 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, Anyone see our mate Harold belting his head on bullbars yet again on TV this evening?Looks a lot like a promo for plastic bars to me.All the usual demos with a drum of water and a contraption the "simulated a childs head". Please all drive safely this Easter and enjoy. Cheers Snake and Josie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 21:13

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 21:13
They didn't use his head as the substitue for the childs head did they???
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 293855

Follow Up By: Member - SNAKE (RAOUL) QLD - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 21:23

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 21:23
The bars arent that good.
FollowupID: 559571

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 21:25

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 21:25
We can only hope LOL
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 559573

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 21:53

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 21:53
The story goes that an elderly relative of Harold Scruby was hit by a Toyota HiAce van sporting a bullbar, whilst crossing a busy street. The bullbar and the persons head connected and the poor fellow died. This happened about 15 years ago and young Harold has been on the warpath ever since. Some people have to spend their lives in negativity. Poor Harold!!!

Cheers
AnswerID: 293869

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 22:11

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 22:11
so that explains the bullbarred Van photos on the story...thanks.

Andrew
FollowupID: 559599

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 22:15

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 22:15
Hi SNAKE, yes we saw him, (I actually know what he looks like now!!!!) he,s stretched his tentacles over here now and we don't want him over here, he can keep his views elsewhere.

There's a lady over here that lost her brother after being hit by a small truck which had one of those squarish bull bars on it, but they are so sure that if the truck didn't have the bar on he would have miraculously survived, (the truck was travelling about 15kph and he stepped off of the curb straight into the path of it).

I understand how the family feels and I do sympathise with them but how they can say that there would have been a good chance that he could have survived if there was no bull bar on the truck I don't know given that there are so many of these 'one punch' deaths lately where people are being killed when their head hits the pavement after a punch.

Cheers

D

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 293879

Reply By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 22:18

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 22:18
That drum of water would have to simulate the smallest kangaroo around, not a typical one found on some rural roads (the "Beef Road" in Qld comes to mind) at 65km/hr....hmmmm. The damage done to the vehicle by the plastic bar, including the bonnet, would be a costly option if travelling these roads all the time.

I always sit there quietly and wait for the commercial nature of the story to unfold (if i ever happen to watch it which is uncommon), before having a good chuckle. I wonder who paid for this story?

Andrew
AnswerID: 293881

Follow Up By: Member - SNAKE (RAOUL) QLD - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 23:23

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 23:23
The sad part of the comments and tests{???} is the fact that the average man in the city{non 4WDing person}upon seeing these reports by EXperts is never shown the upside to the fitment of a bullbar,roobar and the protection the occupants are afforded when driving thousands of miles in the outback.Perhaps Harold as the one with all the facts could give us the figures on head injuries causing death inflicted by vehicles without frontal protection bars fitted.I know the subject has been covered time and time again but to the best of my knowledge a real and unbiased report has yet to be put foreward.It is certainally an emotive subject and one that will be debated for some time yet. Cheers Snake and Josie
FollowupID: 559621

Reply By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 08:20

Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 08:20
Hands up anyone who has ever hit a pedestrian? Come on Harold, you know you bowled a jogger over in your old man's Jag, get your hand up.

Funny how he now has a thing for joggers on footpaths (the jogger must have been at fault). Not spoilt little North Shore kids driving Daddy's vehicle that weighs as much as most big 4WDs.
AnswerID: 293920

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 10:43

Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 10:43
I hit a drunk bloke one night in a dark inner city street in Cape Town. He was in an altercation with someone else on the footpath and staggered across in front of my Veedub travelling at about 40kmh. I didn't have time to brake. He slid up the bonnet, rolled over the roof and landed in a heap on the tarmac behind.

I stropped immediately to check on him, and was immediatel;y surrounded by a crowd of drunks yelling all sorts of stuff. The situation looked dangerous! The injured party however came to and staggered to his feet saying " Sorry Boss, hope I have'nt damaged you car" He had no apparent injuries. So I gave him ten bucks( a lot of money in those days) and wished him well. Immediately the mood changed in the crowd. "Yippee", they exclaimed, "lets go have some more drinks!!!!!"....and Thamk You Sir!!!

Whew, close call. I had had a few shorts that night as well.

Cheers

FollowupID: 559668

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 19:22

Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 19:22
Willem,

An awful feeling in its own right, without the threat of violence afterwards. My wife and I came very close in a similar situation on Bagot Road in Darwin one night. Fortunately she swerved just enough and only clipped him with the wing mirror.

I didn't mean to make light of Mr Scruby's accident; I'm sure it was terrible for him. But it is interesting that he has hit more pedestrians than most of those he targets with his campaign against (among other things), 4WDs.

He is actually a fairly interesting character and we should all remember that he has done lots of good as well. 40Km/H zones around schools in NSW and pressure applied to the State Government to improve signage around schools. As a parent, he has my wholehearted support for such campaigns. it is just unfortunate that he throws a blanket over 4WDs as a group without a rational attempt to look where the problems 'really' are and apply pressure in a more rational manner.

Matt.
FollowupID: 560069

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 09:54

Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 09:54
Hi All

Why dosent the major Bull Bar Manufacturers take this bloke to task,
for once and for all, have a debate with all the information from both
sides, and include owners of 4X4-s who live in rural areas and 4x4
clubs ect. also include the various State Police Departments, who
have Bull Bars on their vehicles in rural areas, and Vehicle Makers
who sell vehicles with Bull Bars, and then if he wins out, get the
government to have Bull Bar BUY BACK, for any body who feels
the need to do it, other words Harold (PUT UP OR SHUT UP)

Cheers
Daza
AnswerID: 293936

Reply By: baldman - Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 10:04

Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 10:04
What a load of cock and bull from good old Harold. More so shame on Today Tonight for promoting a commercial product during the story. What's next a story on high petrol prices and the ACCC defending the consumer, whilst promoting a Hiclone or Fitch device. (well it makes as much sense as fitting a Smart Bar)

Honestly some one grab this little turd and take him for a drive outback. Let him experience the need and use of a bullbar on a vehicle under these conditions.

Shall we go back to the old days of fitting driving lights and 2 way radio aerials directly onto the bumper bar where they will slice and dice any unfortunate person who may come into contact with the offending vehicle. Or even ignoring the rights of the 4wd community by not providing them with the opportunity to protect their vehicle and family by fitting a bullbar.

People like Scruby's family can drive prestige cars that have a hood ornament that might impale a pedestrian in a low impact accident, and then complain about bullbars on vehicles that are used in outback travel, as well as for commercial purpose.

Harold pull your head out of your @rse, get a life. Even better get a 4by with a bull bar and start experiencing life.
AnswerID: 293941

Reply By: jomah - Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 16:00

Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 16:00
it would be interesting to know just how many people with roo bars fitted to their vehicle have actually hit a roo. by that I mean actually hit a roo yourself; not the old "I know a bloke .....". The other interesting point is just how many roos there are hoping up & down the main streets of all our cities where a roo bar seems to be a fashion accessory rather than a prtotective device for so many vehicle owners who hardly ever venture out of suburbia. The third point to consider for the pro roo bar brigade is the value of human life against the value of a motor vehicle being bent a little. I am not taking sides; just suggesting there are more than a couple of issues to consider here. Perhaps a quick release roo bar would be a great seller - just snap it on when you leave the city limits?
AnswerID: 293991

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 16:13

Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 16:13
I hit an average of 10 roos a year, Have come close with a few in the work ute as well and that hasn't got a bar. I am less likely to swerve in my car cause it has a bar. The work ute it is a different story.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 559736

Follow Up By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 16:47

Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 16:47
Nath hit a roo one night in the landcruiser towing a boat...he heard its head hit the diff and the boat go over the top..!! almost lost it!

Ive hit plenty in my time, mostly on a bike chasing them!
FollowupID: 559742

Follow Up By: baldman - Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 17:52

Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 17:52
Could you put this in the class of how many people pay full comprehensive insurance and actually don't make a claim. Doesn't mean you have to hit a roo to justify having a bullbar.

Currently it is legal to have a bull/roo/nudge/smart bar on your car and it is personal choice if you wish to protect your property.

Therefore Jomah I agree with you 100% that you can't put a price and never should on a human life, but as Dazza mentions in a few posts above, there is a constructive and methodical way of analysing data and experience to determine the pros and cons of fitting vehicles with bullbars.

Until Harold Screw(loose)by, accepts this refrains from scaremongering to receive government grants for his hobby (which in my opinion by his stunts actually lowers the cost of a human life), I doubt very much that he will be taken seriously by the millions of 4wd owners, truckies, tradies and drivers of passenger cars who have a bullbar fitted.

FollowupID: 559754

Reply By: Member - Christopher P (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 18:38

Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 18:38
So can we sue the diiick weeed for the death of someone we love because one of us hit a roo with a vehicle and if it had a bullbar on it, that person wouldn't die, even if you swerve the said vehicle and the roo jumps out at you, what then huh???

Roo thru your windscreen, and flying glass = someone hurt or dead!!!

I had a rock thrown thru my side window which was six inches away from my sleeping face, pulled up on the side of the road late at night, if i didnt have window tinting i would be blind, first instinct was to open eyes!!!!

Think safe, drive safe!
AnswerID: 294262

Sponsored Links