MyBlog - a new ExplorOz innovation

Submitted: Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 00:16
ThreadID: 55774 Views:2051 Replies:4 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
David and crew - this is a great idea, and i have commenced loading my trip notes (a word file attachments) into MyBlog.

I would find this feature more useful if the fields also included region. That way for example, i could search in Kimberley and find everyone's notes, photos and stories about this region.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 00:38

Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 00:38
Motherhen,

I had this thought when I was writting the system and decided to release the function without it and see what feedback we received. Well I got what I expected I suppose and it did not take you long to point it out. I was thinking of having a sub tag connected to the Places/Destinations and Things to See & Do tags that would allow you to add a sub tag to link the entry to a state/region or other ExplorOz content article or trek note. I just did not work out the exact mechanics of making this work.

The other thought I had was to allow you to click on a map and assign it to a region that way. Regardless of how it is input I guess the first thing I have to do is provision the database to store the additional tag information. I just cannot determine of a waypoint reference or region reference is the best. I think I will work on a region reference as this is the easiest for me to implement at this stage.

It will take a few days to get loaded and will have to wait till after easter but I will endeavour to get it sorted. You can always Edit your entries and attach these tags at a later time so do not stop loading your content.

By the way you can enter a date for your entires and this will help people work out the age of the content, I notice you have added this to the title but simply type in a date around the time of the trip and the system will add these dates for you. So use the last day of the trip say as the entry date. This is how we are loading our journal data.

Thanks for the feedback and please provide us with more and we will endeavour to get them all loaded.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 293910

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 14:05

Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 14:05
Thanks David

I would find it easier to have specified regions for us to choose. Of course one trip could cover three or four regions - eg WA to Victoria like we did on our way to Tasmania, so we would need to be able to select all regions travelled through. Thinking of regions, tourism brochures for each state seem to have selected and named regions, although these may need to be grouped - eg 3 or 4 regions for WA should cover. Somewhere like Tasmania should not need mire than the one.

On times - i did start adding the first entry with the last day of trip, but as i had dates in the topics, i went back to 'today' as date of entry.

I'm going to have a fun weekend, as i need to split some files to fit the under 800 size.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 559715

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 14:48

Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 14:48
MH,

We already have Australia broken up into our ExplorOz regions and there are 22 in total these will be what I will use. You can check them out on the states & regions pages like Western Australia, New South Wales, Victoria etc

As for the file size this is only a suggestion for image uploads (800 pixels max dimension) you do not need to break your attachment files up they will upload fine upto around 2 MB.

The usage of dates will help other parts of the system find your entries by year so it would be best to amend the dates and remove it from the title, it will just work better in the long run.

Have a good one.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 559720

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 15:04

Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 15:04
22 regions sounds good.

How do i get back into the entry to change the posting date?

That is good, because all of my files are under 2 mb as i make them small so i can easily email them.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 559723

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 10:12

Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 10:12
To get back into the entry, go to the entry itself and just under the tags listing at the end of the entry should be an Edit Entry hyperlink - press this and presto.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 559893

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 10:19

Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 10:19
Good morning David

I tried that and it brought up a blank 'new entry' screen.

Mh - the MyBlog guinea pig!
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 559895

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 10:23

Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 10:23
Hum,

I just tested it with one of mine and it opened up the existing entry! I wonder if there is some kind of user id bug. When you open it up have a look at the browser address bar at the end of the url should be an e=xxxxx xxx being some number. Can you check this exists at the end and let me know the number.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 559896

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 10:42

Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 10:42
David, I have emailed you direct with the Edit screen. No-one else has come in on this problem - then again, they are probably still asleep - or more likely out camping somewhere - lucky devils.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 559900

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 13:13

Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 13:13
All fixed thanks David - working now on edit.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 559912

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 00:51

Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 00:51
May as well add the other question I had about integrating the Blogs system. I was thinking of adding a link at the top of the forum to the latest blog entry. It would be located in the first thread field on page one of the index (if this makes sense). Does this sound like a good idea, maybe it should have say the latest 4 or 6 enties listed by title or similar.

I am open to input on this, as you can expect the Blogs is a logical extension of the forum system so having easy access to the latest blog entires in the forum is sonething I am keen to persue, I also know that the system is new however I would like to get those personal stories and journals out of the forum system and into the blogs systems as this is a more natural way to manage this type of content.

Motherhen sorry to hi-jack your thread however it is all related to the blog system. Over to you all.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 293911

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 17:49

Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 17:49
Hi again David

I'm back to MyBlog, and adding more files. Can i amend my own files? As they are attachments, being word documents with photos, i would like to add a photo in the text box for each file, but i didn't think of this until i had added a few Blogs.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 294009

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 20:05

Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 20:05
Another question on the Blogs David.Mine says i have 12 loaded, but i can only see ten of them. How do i see the rest - of mine, as well as of everyone's?

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 294035

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 10:30

Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 10:30
To find older items use the calendar control on the RHS and select the month/year combination and the system will show you entries for the specific month.

Also have a look at you oldest entry you will notice that I moved the image around a little and it will show you what happens. I moved the image link item the [bi]xxxx[/bi] stuff to the front of the text and it caused the text to wrap around the image. When you get the edit thing to work you can play around with the location of the images by just copy and paste of the [bi]xxxxx[/bi] bit of text.

Enjoy.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 559897

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 10:58

Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 10:58
The calendar works, but i will have to wait on your further advice before i can edit and change the entry dates.

When going to the Blog Index (to see all Blogs), again i can see only the latest entries by chosen date, and the calendar feature only has the dates of my entries, not anyone else's.

Can we have 'scrolling index' at any given place so we can scroll as far back as we want to (like on the forum)?

Got to go and do some housework - darn - it's much better fun being here.

Mh

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 559903

Sponsored Links