Great thing to do in Central NSW now or in next few weeks/months

Submitted: Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 18:34
ThreadID: 55791 Views:1877 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone

We have just been to Lake Cargellico helping to restore fences for farmers. You might have heard Macca talking about this on "Australia all Over" in the last few weeks. See also http://www.abc.net.au/rural/content/2007/s2172405.htm

After 7 years of drought and virtually no cropping income, on 22 December 2007 the farmers had a 1 in 100 year flood and many experienced the effects of a mini-cyclone at the same time. Fences were demolished or seriously damaged throughout the area. Many farmers have had to put what remains of their sheep and cattle out on agistment. This is really serious and we EO MEMBERS CAN HELP!!!

In conjunction with Rotary Clubs in NSW, people have been volunteering to work with farmers and locals to repair hundreds of km's of fences. No prior experience required; equipment supplied. It's the labour they need.

f you are near the area or planning to go that way soon, why not "Lend a Hand" as the project is called. You will be able to free camp on a property, feel a real sense of achievement at the end of each day you are there (and maybe feel a bit stuffed).......and have a great experience with some great people.

I can put you in touch with the local organiser. The need is great and urgent. Please let me know if you can spend a few days or more there. MM me or email me on rayjenw-at- bigpond-dot-com

Best wishes, RayJen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kev & Darkie - Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 18:44

Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 18:44
G'Day Ray and Jen,

I take it the house painting is finished?? ;)

It is good to see the people are finally realising that farmers are struggling and need help with some things. Labour is the one thing that hurts them the most as it can take a long time to complete fencing and labour costs are enormous.

Hope you had a great time and feel a sense of achievement as the farmers you assisted may now be able to stay on the land due to your help.

Cheers and Well done on volunteering

Kev

PS hope to see you at Innaminka :)
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 294020

Reply By: Member - Kevin J (QLD) - Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 20:22

Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 20:22
Good on you. My wife and I spent 6 months of last year in western Qld as Drought Assist Volunteers. Much the same deal except that we were working through Outback Links which is a division of Frontier Services. (The old Flynn of the Inland)
We found that the hospitality was great and the families we worked for really appreciated the help. Most of all they were glad that someone was there for them. New faces to talk to. New stories to hear. We are planning to head out again mid year - would have been gone now but a couple of health issues needed attending to - and to work our way to somewhere we have not previously been.
I would suggest that anyone who is healthy enough to tow a van would be able to find someone to help. Be aware though that some of the properties are accessed by very ordinary roads which could really try a 'black top' van. By the same token there are businesses and organisations in the towns which can also do with a helping hand so that the locals can take a breather.

Kevin J
AnswerID: 294042

Sponsored Links