tropical roof -aka jolly great big parachute

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 17:16
ThreadID: 55811 Views:1756 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
So we are getting ready for the April school holidays. As it is still likely to be jolly hot we were going to try setting up a tropical roof over the ct. Doing a test run today to check if our current tarp is suitable, enough ropes/pegs/ poles etc. Problem is that with a very nice, but mild breeze, this thing is like an out of control parachute! Is this just because there is nothing under it?(haven't actually set it up over the ct - just free standing on its own.) Is there a trick to setting them up? I've got it as tensioned as I can. Tarp is about 4m X 7 m. Comments and advice welcome. Ta.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 18:05

Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 18:05
Try this link.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=121948

Regards

Derek.
AnswerID: 294123

Follow Up By: oz doc - Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 18:35

Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 18:35
Ta muchly. From that link it is obvious I will need more poles and ropes for this size tarp. Just as well we did a test run- wouldn't want to turn into the holiday entertainment for the entire caravan park!
FollowupID: 559937

Reply By: Rock Ape - Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 18:43

Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 18:43
Get some 4way 20mm deep conduitjunction boxes and drill a hole in the lids big enough to take the end of extendable tent poles.
Cut conduit so that you join the boxes together (aprox 2 mts apart and the number will depend on the size of your tarp)

Then cut pieces that will finish about 300mm from the edge of the tarp, just push the conduit into the boxes and don't glue them in, you can disassemble them for transport.

Erect your tarp then place the the joined conduits under and extend the poles. The end result is a dome tarp that will not move in +20 knot winds.

Hope this helps

The Ape
AnswerID: 294125

Follow Up By: davidjo - Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 21:19

Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 21:19
Ape
That sounds like a good idea, but i dont quite understand.......how are you attaching the conduit boxes etc to the tarp? Good for future reference!
David
FollowupID: 559952

Follow Up By: Rock Ape - Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 06:46

Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 06:46
Dave,
Your tarp is tied down around the edges with poles and guy ropes, when you push up with the extendable poles into the conduit former this creates a dome effect. The conduits don't have to be attached to the tarp at all as it all just stays in place.

When it rains "bug@er" all the water just runs of with no pooling.

Grey conduit is probably around $8 a 4mt length and deep 4way 20mm j boxes can be bought at an electrical wholesaler.

Cheers
The Ape
FollowupID: 559990

Reply By: obee - Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 20:32

Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 20:32
We have been using a large tarp that doubles as veranda and very successful it is. Perhaps the tarp you are trying is very light. You need to have a bit of weight in the tart itself so it dont stretch and can handle a bit of tension on the ropes. Out CT tent carries a lot of the weight of the tarp and perhaps six or xeven tie downs with poles shape the thing so we get the best shade and protection from the rain.

Owen
AnswerID: 294142

Follow Up By: oz doc - Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 21:14

Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 21:14
Bit of weight in the 'tart' eh? - you're not making aspersions to my weight are you? Just kidding! If your ct tent carries a lot of the weight then this suggests that you don't suspend your tarp completely free of the tent. I thought that for the tarp to work as a 'tropical roof' there has to be airspace between it and the tent? If I can rest the tarp on the peak of the ct tent then I think I can get away with a few less poles.Do you have a pic of your set up?
FollowupID: 559951

Sponsored Links