Fuel prices

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 23:04
ThreadID: 55819 Views:1918 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Have a look at this site and see if we are really being ripped off as many think.

http://www.californiagasprices.com/index.aspx?fuel=D

Remember that there are 3.8 litres to the US Gallon and take into account the daily exchange rate. Seems that somebody is getting the dirty end of the stick!! The fuel companies say it is not us.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: dedabato (SA) - Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 23:20

Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 23:20
Mine too ( Mine's made up ) I think that we are definitely being ripped off....
AnswerID: 294165

Follow Up By: vundie_01 - Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 00:23

Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 00:23
Yes we were in Dubai on Wednesday-03-08 I was told petrol was $0.50 au a litre. most cars and 4x4 were petrol (even a NEW V8 Nissan and not the gu) in the Uk we payed 1.05 to 1.10 pound per ltr
FollowupID: 559979

Reply By: peterll - Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 04:16

Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 04:16
Filled up the Tacoma in Calgary, Canada yesterday for $1.12 per litre Cdn

And that was after the price going up overnight from $1.09 cdn per litre.

In the 'East" ( Toronto) they are paying around $1.20 cdn per litre

Yup prices in my homeland are in need of questioning
AnswerID: 294175

Follow Up By: peterll - Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 13:01

Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 13:01
Hmmm I say.. just got off the phone with a mate who is with Exxon.

Got all upset that I phoned him while on hols at his humble holiday shack in Bermuda..poor bugger.

Anywho..put it to him straight..well I thought my enquiry was that.

How much to produce a gallon of gas..(that's petrol to us folks)

Funnily enough he didn't want to talk about that. but on pressing the point he tried this out..

ok ok.. let's say a gallon of gas cost $1.00...hmm when did you buy petrol last mate ?

But... ok I am with you..so ?

ok the crude oil part cost about 48 cents.... err includes profit huh ? ..no answer..

government taxes equal about 22 cents...ok so the gorvernment makes a profit out of me too ?.. of course he says.... hmmm

then there is the refining and profit margins.... say 20 cents...

err mate you just said that you make a profit on the crude so now you say that you double dip on the profits ?? ..

no of course not..he says.... err mate you own the refineries ? hmmmm

Can we drop this, I am on vacation you know ? ..

nope I want to know as I am sick of you guys covering up..

no cover up pal..just the way it is in the industry.. hmmm

ok so what about the rest ? I ask..

oh well thats distribution and marketing point of sales profit..you should ask someone else about those costs.. hmm says I..

ok so you don't own the delivery trucks..you do own the gas stations though..

no no you have it wrong..they are franchised..err and you dont make a profit out of the franchise mate ? hmmmm

ok so the end guy and drivers and such get 10 cents ? Yes that's about right.

So mate..I just counted on my fingers..all up you make at least 68 cents (crude cost and profit plus refining and marketing and profit) then the company announces a quarter profit of $4 billion and you say it is tough in the industry ?

Yes well, we do take risks in exploration and there are cost involved there.. umm mate..aren't those cost accounted for in the cost of the barrel of crude ? ... hmmmmm

He says that I seem to be one of "them" conspiracy blokes...

nope not me..just want to know how you sleep ok mate.. fine thanks he says.

I was about to hang up when I thought of one more thing ..

mate.. up here the price per litre last week was about $1.05 and yesterday it was $1.12.. how come ?

Dont you follow the markets..oil is over $100 a barrel...

umm mate.. err oil is traded on the futures exchange..

you know..the price for a barrel in three months time delivery..

how come it went up so much in a week when the stuff in the petrol station was delivered three weeks ago at the price it was back then.. ?

brrrrrrrrp brrrrrrrp brrrrrp.. guess I don't have him as a mate

Thought some may be interested in that little exchange.

No conspiracy it seems.

Just collusion, some straight profiteering and governments who cream off as much as they can and blame the oil companies who are "suffering"

Poor buggers.
FollowupID: 560015

Reply By: Ray - Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 07:35

Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 07:35
I am also supprised that the eastern states do not have a fuel watch like we do in W.A. Not that it does us much good.
AnswerID: 294182

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 07:50

Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 07:50
NSW may have something similar via the NRMA. Can't see what good it will do though.

FollowupID: 559993

Follow Up By: disco driver - Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 12:07

Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 12:07
Fuel Watch only works , more or less effectively, when you have a fuel outlet on every second street corner or thereabouts.

Where I live (country town in WA) we have 3 fuel outlets.

Guess what?

They all sell at exactly the same price.

Not much use here!

Totally useless when there is only one fuel outlet within 50km or more.

Disco.
FollowupID: 560010

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 14:23

Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 14:23
Gday,
I think all States and Territories are getting ripped off.
What gets up nose is when you keep hearing people whinging that they buy fuel for one price one day and a different price the next!
Try paying top dollar all the time! At least some people have the opportunity to get it cheaper occasionally.

Cheers
AnswerID: 294224

Reply By: Trinity1 - Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 14:52

Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 14:52
Ever wondered how you could transform the miles you travel into cash in your account. Well, now you can with the rewards. When you use your phone/pda & GPS device, every Wi-Fi access point and Cell tower that you pass by will be logged and turned into points on your account.

You get:
- 15 points for each cellular tower
- 3 points for each Wi-Fi access point
if they are discovered by you (or in other words if you are the first one to map them)

- 1 point for each Wi-Fi access point (except in a few areas)
- 2 points for each cellular tower
if they have already been mapped by someone else

Once you have 10,000 points, you can redeem them in a reward, and $20 will be wired to your Paypal account (minus the Paypal fee in the amount of $0.40).

The idea is fairly simple: some users who have a GPS device are mapping the wireless landscape in their neighborhoods so that other users who don’t have a GPS will be able to use a positioning system that works without a GPS, by triangulating Wi-Fi and/or Cellular signals.
Like in every community, there are the people who do the work and others who benefit from it.
So, users who don’t contribute any data - those who don't have a GPS - have to pay a reasonable fee to use the Virtual GPS ($24.99).
But the money is not going in our pocket: it is going in the pocket of those who do the hard work by mapping the wireless landscape in their area.

Click here

AnswerID: 294225

Reply By: Member - Christopher P (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 17:26

Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 17:26
when i worked for caltex the dropped 1/3 of there 100 million dollar debt, approx 365 million dollars, and fuel supplied to servo's was around 85 cpl, with redemtiion. i think on average fuel i cost like 50to 75 cpl to manufacture, plus transport and storage at site, site maintance fees which fuel comp's. pay for as they own/franchise, then gov. taxes, so BEND OVER BOYS AND GIRLS CAUSE UNCLE PETROL MAN HAS US ALL OVER A BARREL OF CRUDE!!!!!

I was talking to a guy who came back from the states and was telling me that the states have most of there oil wells shut down, I wonder why??? When the arabs run out of oil the states then can charge a huge price for oil!!!!

Conspiricy theories all over the place!

I don't claim to have first hand knowledge but this is what i have heard and seen from the paper work i have recieved and seen in service stations and heard from people....

some of it is guess work from what i have seen
AnswerID: 294247

Reply By: Topcat (WA) - Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 22:18

Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 22:18
With the supply of oil verses the demand usage some say that it has now reached its peak as far as world supplies are & as the demand increases more pressure will be put on alternatives with the price of crude oil going through the roof.
One of the largest users of fuel is the United States Military. Have a look at this site & see what they are doing about fuel reserves!!!!!
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hDV8DuaNJvKYJk98TvephqrLZWcwD8VICO9G0
AnswerID: 294297

Sponsored Links