Roof Top Tent Mounting

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 16:50
ThreadID: 55839 Views:5870 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys
Hopefully a simple one.
I've a 78 Troopy with an ARB roof rack, 2200X1450mm that has a 300mm railing running all the way around.
Just bought an Eezi Awn roof top tent, 1400X1200mm when folded for transit so the tent will fit either way (back or side access). Extends to approx 2400X1450mm when setup.
I'm willing to (will have to) cut a portion of the railing out to allow the tent to fold down. As you may understand, the cutting out is a one-off shot.
I'm seeking advice on 2 questions:
First, what is the advantage/disadvantages of either back or side access from practical experience? Back access gives some protection over rear door for instance?
Second, how much "overhang" is reasonable over the back? I ask this one because I'd like to try & preserve as much free roof rack as possible.
Any experienced advice will be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - andrew B (Kununurra) - Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 17:23

Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 17:23
Gday Rumbler

Have you considered adding a couple of bars or whatever it takes to raise the tent above the bars you 'have' to cut. It may provide some storage underneath for flat stuff or a smallish water tank (to keep the weight down), and would keep your roofrack intact and allow you to experiment with sideways or longways mounting. On our rooftopper, I would prefer it went over the side, allowing easier access to the rear for fridge etc, but I can't really complain, overhanging the rear keeps the fridge a bit cooler.

Cheers Andrew
AnswerID: 294246

Reply By: blue one - Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 18:07

Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 18:07
Andrew is spot on with using a spacer like uni strut or something similar so you don't have to cut your roof rack.

I have mine set to fold out over the rear with a 50mm. When set up this allows for access to rear of the 4wd when its raining without getting wet. If we meet bad weather we attach the skirts which gives you more dry space, also it doesn't interfere with the HF antenna.

Cheers
AnswerID: 294253

Follow Up By: blue one - Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 18:08

Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 18:08
Should read 50mm overhang
FollowupID: 560055

Reply By: gilghana - Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 19:50

Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 19:50
Rumbler, on my previous Defender my hannibal rooftent was of the side, and I did exactly what you were contemplating in chopping my roofrack - worked fine. With my troopy I mounted it to unfold over the back, but just on two bars as I really didn't want more weight up there... With the weight of a eazi awn or hannibal etc I also wanted it as low as possible - troopy seems quite top heavy anyhow. Of the back works well giving some shade. Personally I would cut the rack and have it mounted low and of to the back,
Gil
AnswerID: 294273

Reply By: 2517 - Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 21:15

Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 21:15
The problem with cutting the roof rack is doing the zipper up after folding the tent up,if it is the same as a howling moon.You will find you will need a ladder I did,mine was on a troopy.We mounted it to the side ,off center so you don't have to take the cover off all the time it just hang there,we used in the west aust for 7weeks including the canning.During cool night you will get a lot of conderastion ,which seem to drop on your head,and in the mornings you have to wait until it dry out.You can leave the sleeping gear in it but it make it hard to close up,we used to take the pillows out.Mine was mounted on roof bars ,and needed a ladder extension.
AnswerID: 294282

Reply By: Andrew - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 10:42

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 10:42
Hi Rumbler

Friends of ours had an original shipp shape roof topper tent that opened out the back.
Their advice was that it meant they could park in tight spots like on narrow tracks in the high country whereas their friends with side loaders always had to find a clearing. Just affected where they stopped but up there it often made a difference to the morning view as they could camp on ridgelines and other such places. As long as they could drive in they could camp.

PS I wouldn't cut the roof rack as those rails provide a lot of the carrying capacity. Cut them and the load is no longer spread over the whole roof and you are likely to damage the mount point on your vehicle.

Hope this helps your thinking

Regards

A
AnswerID: 294567

Reply By: Rumbler - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 11:59

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 11:59
Thanks to everyone who replied. Appreciated.
Still thinking, such a dither...
AnswerID: 294803

Sponsored Links