Polyair vs WDH

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 14:18
ThreadID: 55896 Views:1936 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
hi all,

We just took our A'Van ErinII away over easter for a short run down south west of WA, using our Hyundai Santa Fe deisel tow rating 2000kg. Van tare is 1215kg according to plate in the van boot, plus all the extras we take including a set of golf clubs! We thought we'd distributed weight thru the van o.k., but we had no official measurement of that.

the Santa rear dropped about 35mm when attaching van. The 4WD mates that went with us kept saying to get a set of polyairs (sorry not sure of the correct terminology), but I thought a weight distribution hitch might be the way to go.

So, any pros/cons for either method? I thought the WDH was the less intrusive method, but I'll defer to those in the know...

Cheers, ian and deborah
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DIO - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 14:50

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 14:50
Others may have differing views on the matter of WDH & Polyairs.

WDH will transfer the weight from the rear of the vehicle towards the front and in doing so will give the effect that the rear of the vehicle has lifted. They will also offer an increased degree of stability to the van preventing uncontrollable swaying which can lead to an out of control vehicle.

Polyairs are used in conjunction with the existing suspension be it leaf springs or coil springs.
Polyairs will not increase the carrying capacity of a vehicle however when inflated to the correct/appropriate pressure (with air) they will assist the suspension to support the load thus giving the effect that the rear of the vehicle has lifted or not sunk as low with the given towball weight and load within said vehicle.

I have used both and I believe that's the safest way to go. Not one or the other because they have distinctly different functions.

I would suggest that you pay careful consideration to how you load your van and tow vehicle. Generally the tow ball weight should be within a range of 10% - 15% of the total weight of your loaded van. You can check this in your Owners Handbook of your tow vehicle. It is important that you know the actual loaded weight of the van and in particular how you load it i.e. distribution of weight front to rear. The same goes for your towing vehicle. It will have a maximum carrying capacity which will be the total of occupants, fuel, other items placed into vehicle and tow ball weight. You need to know what that is. This is where the weighbridge comes in and you can accurately calculate just what your weights are. You might be surprised by the results - many are.

I would suggest that you take into account comments from others on this forum and perhaps when you consider you are adequately informed, make a point of going to say a Hayman Reese agent and put it to them to provide you with their informed opinion as to a suitable setup. Good luck with it.
AnswerID: 294602

Reply By: Member - Keith C (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 17:23

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 17:23
Iandeborah,g/day.polyair`s can be adjusted for ride height by inflation, wdh cant! we tow a 1400kg van and use both, the advantage with polys is you can use them to lift the rear when youre loaded without the van, as sometimes happens.Imo its money well spent,have had mine on the cruiser since 93.never a problem, even in stony country,but they wont control sway. I think get both. Regards Keith C.
AnswerID: 294637

Reply By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 17:35

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 17:35
What they said. I use both.

Pete
AnswerID: 294642

Reply By: Dunaruna - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 18:55

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 18:55
A hayman WDH will not control sway.
AnswerID: 294668

Follow Up By: Angler - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 21:36

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 21:36
I also use both and would not tow my van anywhere without my WDH.

Pooley
www.bycompass.com
FollowupID: 560627

Sponsored Links