Camper brakes

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 19:51
ThreadID: 55917 Views:2935 Replies:7 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone, I just bought a adventure camper trailer about 6 months ago and have done a few trips to Vic high country to road test b4 the big trip up north. I'm having trouble with the mechanical (cable ) brakes it seems to me that the car is doing most of the braking. ive adjusted the shoes and cable. the seem to work a bit but the car is still doing most of the work. I'm thinking of going electric so I can control the amount of braking the trailer does. I'm not sure if the mechanical brakes are supposed to work as much as the car. I don't know if this is the right way to go. please help. Ray.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Stoker - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 20:19

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 20:19
ray
Ensure that the over ride piston is not seized. Also check that the reversing lock is not left in place when towing.
Peter
AnswerID: 294707

Reply By: Member - Ken R (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 21:40

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 21:40
Other than the brake issue - how have you found the adventure ct as we are picking ours up in the next few weeks?
AnswerID: 294729

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 08:31

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 08:31
Ken

A friend has an adventurer camper and it is great.

The only reason I didn't buy one was the price. You have made a very good choice - sorry they are a great unit.

Tjilpi
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 560690

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 23:09

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 23:09
There are a number of reasons disk brakes were invented.

I have a similar problem on my TrakShak. I have dismantled the brakes and cleaned everything and they work until the next dusty trip or muddy creek crossing. I wonder if the dirt gets impregnated into the shoes and just won't let them grip. I have been told to re-route the cable to give a better pull but they used to work as they are.

I did not worry about it too much while living in the Hill, I could go a long way out there without using the brakes at all. But it is proving to be a bit of problem getting around over here on the coast.

I am seriously considering going to an overide disk set up to see how that goes. I am a bit shy of electric brakes because of the abuse my trailer puts up with. If someone can assure me that they don't mind getting drowned then I will have a closer look there.

Duncs
AnswerID: 294757

Follow Up By: Dunaruna - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 23:27

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 23:27
They don't mind getting drowned.

Like any braking system, they need maintenance, but water intrusion in itself is not a problem for electric brakes.
FollowupID: 560665

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 03:55

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 03:55
Hey Duncs

I have become somewhat educated about Trak Shak brakes. Do you have electric ones ?,
If so what's up ?

I may be able to help

Cheers Bucky
FollowupID: 560682

Follow Up By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 10:16

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 10:16
Few years ago I fitted overide disc brakes on my boat trailer. They were brilliant.
FollowupID: 560700

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 15:41

Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 15:41
HI Bucky,

Thanks for the offer of assistance.

I have the manual overide drums. The entry level brake. They worked fine up until the Cape York trip when I think they just got tired of being dropped into creeks.

I have cleaned them out repeatedly since then but it only ever improves them for a short while. The shoes do not seem to be wearing any and I would have expected to see some deterioration in the friction material by now. It has done enough miles.

As I said earlier I didn't bother with them too much while living in the Hill but I amfinding that with the extra traffic here on the coast I miss them.

Thanks
Duncs
FollowupID: 561437

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 08:09

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 08:09
Don't give up on the electrics - I've got them on my Campomatic (ALKO hardware) and they have had a harsh time too, but still keep going - they get a bit 'grabby' when cold but once warmed up they seem fine - I'll need new shoes soon and will put new HD magnets in, but with suitable adjustment, they've been great for me.
AnswerID: 294782

Reply By: Member - Kiwi B - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 08:54

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 08:54
Ray,

I have a camper with cable over-ride discs and its quite sensitve to the amount of lube/grease on the slide thingy at the coupling. I think the biggest problem with my setup is the amount of down-weight it gets subjected to and also the dust accumulating on the coupling which increases drag/reduces effectiveness.
The camper is on 265/75x16 tyres. Had a boat on tandem with leading axle braked, running 185x13 tyres. This was twice the weight of the camper, but over a 8 year period only adjusted the cable occasionally. Wasn't used in the same dusty conditions as camper but they were very good. This is why I got them fitted to camper.
I wonder if there's some way of adjusting the spring in the coupling as thier doesn't appear to be any compensation for different wheel sizes???

Had the same reservations as you over electric and don't like the one piece bearing/drum design of the things, or their ability to trap dust in the drum. With discs you can see whats going on.

Good luck,
AnswerID: 294788

Reply By: DIO - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 09:12

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 09:12
Trouble with cable over-ride is that when wishing to brake, the cable tension/stretch has to be 'taken-up' before the brakes are actually applied. Don't like them at all. If you are not keen on electric, what about hydraulic over-ride. Once adjusted correctly I have found them to be satisfactory. As with all over-ride systems, the tow vehicle has to induce a retarding effect on the vehicle being towed therefore the tow vehicle will always be taking the greater share of the braking load. That;s how they work.
AnswerID: 294790

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi B - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 09:59

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 09:59
You say "tow vehicle will always........"

In the case of the boat trailer, there was less brake pedal pressure required when towing than when not towing, so is your words from experience or just in your mind. You could feel the trailer brakes would come on as soon as the the tow vehicle started to slow, without applying brakes.
FollowupID: 560699

Follow Up By: Dunaruna - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 17:51

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 17:51
DIO is 100% correct. There is no way to activate cable surge other than slowing down the tow vehicle and compressing the coupler.

Or pull the trailer handbrake on.
FollowupID: 560748

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi B - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 22:04

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 22:04
I guess you 2 read the same comics???

Milford Sound or Doubtful Sound, no problems and as I say, in lotsa cases engine braking was sufficient.
FollowupID: 560820

Follow Up By: Dunaruna - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 22:20

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 22:20
Engine braking IS slowing down the tow vehicle and compressing the coupler.
FollowupID: 560833

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi B - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 23:00

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 23:00
D,

Can't figure when else you would want or need brakes to be applied. He says that the breaking effort will always be greater, etc. Not accurate. I know of applications where the brakes on the trailer have been quite the contrary and actually pump on and off giving quite an unsettling feeling to driver. Yip, over-rides.

A bit like a For/Hol or tyre discusion really??

Still wouldn't have it any other way,
FollowupID: 560842

Follow Up By: Dunaruna - Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 07:43

Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 07:43
Sometimes it can be an advantage to apply the van brakes first, or even separately. It can be an effective sway control if used correctly.

In an override setup, the vehicles brakes are far more effective due to much greater braking force (and boosting etc etc), if the van brakes harder than the car, there is something wrong.

This is the exact reason why electric are far superior, unlimited control over the braking bias between trailer and tractor.
FollowupID: 560870

Reply By: Member - Ray C (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 16:38

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 16:38
Thank heaps to all who have replied. I think a good set of electric brakes are in order. . Also I think im used to the trailer to do more braking than the towing vehicle.
To Ken R. I bought my camper 2nd hand generally as a unit it is great. just a few little mods here and there. I want to be able to run the two water tanks together via a hose and two taps. I have removed the fridge out of its box because it couldn't keep up in the heat. The heat and/ or box has buckled the fridge door on mine. So when you close the fridge door the interior light stays on
AnswerID: 294839

Sponsored Links