Loose spooled winch

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 13:18
ThreadID: 55935 Views:2354 Replies:8 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
The winch on my GQ was spooled not under load. We went to use it the other day and once heavy load was placed on the first couple of top rings, it crossed over itself and wouldnt work. Became a real dog's breakfast. Now I need to undo it but cant due to the tight top cables not releasing to allow it to undo so I can respool the loose ones underneath.
Pls guys, give some ideas on this one.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 13:29

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 13:29
Hook winch to tree, place winch in free spool, select low range-reverse gear and hit it..... gently ;-)
AnswerID: 294810

Reply By: Troy Wilmot - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 13:37

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 13:37
I assume you are taking about wire and not synthetic rope.I don't know if you have tried to back the winch out under load. That is choose a suitable tree drive your car up hill towards the tree, attach the cable around a tree (with a tree trunk protector).Once connected slowly take the slack of the cable by reversing back down the hill,once the cable is tight reverse the winch out and hopefully the weight of the car will help undo your mess.Don't forget to use all the safety gear,especially an air break on the cable.All the best.
AnswerID: 294811

Follow Up By: Kylie in the exy - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 13:58

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 13:58
Sorry guys, I should have mentioned that yes it is wire.
When I winched up the hill the first time, it pulled me up about 4mtrs before stopping due to the dog's breakfast that had formed on the drum. I tried reversing to release when forward was no longer an option. This did not happen either. I was on a decent hill at the time.The rock under the diff was the problem - hence why the wire is so tightly spooled on at the top.

Thanks for the suggestions ....
FollowupID: 560721

Reply By: Smudger - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 14:22

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 14:22
Unfortunately, a commonn trap for young players Kylie. Lots of people don't realise that a winch needs to be tensioned before it is used for the first time ..or, BUGGA!
Try unravelling it the same way it got tightened up. Attach to a tree (use a tree protector) and in low range, very slowly reverse away until the cable is free.
When you get it clear, firnd a small grade hill, no need to torsion the cable onto the spool. Run the cable right out except for the last 2 or 3 turns and rewind the cable.
AnswerID: 294820

Follow Up By: Kylie in the exy - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 16:04

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 16:04
Young? Thanks for the compliment Smudger. I know you are an old hat at this so I have faith in your words. I tensioned the cable before the first use ... obviously not enough. I will promise to do what you suggested, hopefully next time will be better.
Thanks heaps.
FollowupID: 560732

Reply By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 14:59

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 14:59
Once you sort it out, don't forget to thoroughly check the cable for 'birdnests' as it may now be cactus and require replacement.

Cheers,

Mark
AnswerID: 294827

Reply By: Towie - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 15:56

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 15:56
ALL SOUND ADVISE KYLIE! I HAVE USED THOSE METHODS TOO AND THEY DO WORK, ONE WAY OR ANOTHER THE CABLE HAS TO COME OFF SO LOW RANGE DOWN HILL IS THE GO........LET US ALL KNOW HOW IT GOES
AnswerID: 294835

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 16:38

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 16:38
Kylie,

To avoid this happening again, run the cable through a snatch block.

This will mean that there will be less cable on the drum. When winching not only is it less strain on the winch motor but the cable will not bunch up as much.

What can happen is the cable bunches up and will rub on the cross bars of the winch. In some cases the winch cross bars and or winch, would have to be removed to allow the cable to be unwound.

Wayne
AnswerID: 294840

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 18:43

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 18:43
Go down to your local woolies when it is quite if you are in WA that means anytime after 5, all day sat and sunday and public holidays and whip the winch around the trolley collecting bay or any other sturdy post then put the winch in neutral and reverse back. If you pull the post out the ground then take off, thats why I said go there when it is quite.
probably you will have unleahed it. then unroll it all at full length and wind in with your handbrake on full tllt.
Beware of Skegs skatboarding etc as they may try and jump the tightrope
AnswerID: 294860

Follow Up By: Kylie in the exy - Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 20:42

Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 20:42
LOL!! Love it Davoe.
Thanks for the advice to all. I will let you know how it goes after this weekend.

Still LMAO ....

Kylie
FollowupID: 561036

Reply By: Kylie in the exy - Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 11:33

Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 11:33
Hi guys,
Well it is all fixed - thank you all. I attached to a tree, put it in neutral (thanks Davoe) and drove back. Didnt take much at all which suprised me. Took it off to the last 2-3 turns (thanks Smudger) pulled the handbrake on 3/4 (thanks again Davoe) and pulled it in making sure it spooled evenly.
One thing that Mark mentioned, it does have a spot on the wire where it isnt nice and "round" anymore, it is alittle flattened. The wires are not broken in any way but changed shape.
Does this matter??
Thanks again for everyones suggestions, they were much appreciated.
Kylie
AnswerID: 295767

Follow Up By: Member - bushfix - Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 12:42

Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 12:42
G'day Kylie,

Mark would have been referring to "bird caging" which is where strands are loose from there normal lay which can happen with sudden release from high loading.

You mention that no wires are broken, good. The crushing however, could be critical. is it crushed all round the diameter, ie. flattish or just crushed on a small side of one section? All around I would discard the rope. A little, well, I would get it inspected by a qualified person, it may cause strands to break under load. Safety first in my books anyway.
FollowupID: 561791

Follow Up By: Kylie in the exy - Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 12:57

Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 12:57
Hi Bushfix,
There was NO shock loading on the cable when we used it.

When you look at the wire, its appearance is round in the good parts. When you look at the bad part it is flattish for about 4cms and does not have the round look.
Yes it is flattened from one side to the other width ways.
I guess it resembles a bit like something drove over it .. If you get my drift.
I think it happened when the wire overlapped itself and then tensioned OR after it overlapped itself, tensioned then looped back the other way.
I agree safety first, where could I take it for a proper inspection (not some salesmans opinion) please?

Thanks for your input
Kylie
FollowupID: 561794

Follow Up By: Member - bushfix - Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 13:09

Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 13:09
G'day again,

no suggestion of shock loading, only an explanation of bird caging.

Honestly, tt sounds to me that it should be discarded. I would not use it for its intended purpose.

Do you know anyone who is a qualified rigger/dogman etc? If not, try someone like Fallright/Saferite (WA) or Sala (NSW) or look up rigging services in your local area. If you are in WA I can put you in touch with someone but it sounds like a write off.
FollowupID: 561795

Follow Up By: Kylie in the exy - Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 13:18

Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 13:18
Nah, dont know anyone like that. I will look into it though.
I am in Vic.
Thanks again
Kylie
FollowupID: 561797

Sponsored Links