Camp oven, I'm after the best quality

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 19:19
ThreadID: 55946 Views:3786 Replies:8 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
So what better to ask than the people that use them. So any help would be appreciated & can you make a crispy roast potato in them like the Cobb Cooker. If you can do this I would appreciate any tips.

Thanks from

Macca
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: On Patrol (East Coast) - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 19:29

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 19:29
G'day macca
Try this forum

I love camp oven cooking and with practice and the right embers you will have the best of Aussie cooking in the bush.
Colin
AnswerID: 294864

Reply By: Member - grant M (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 19:30

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 19:30
Hi Ozymacca
Dont know if this is much help but i have 2 that i use a lot one is from well known camping store the other is from kmart they both produce identical results in my opinion , something i have been making latly are pizzas in the camp oven ,they have been a nice change to the normal camp oven dinners.

Regards Grant M
AnswerID: 294865

Follow Up By: Member RayJen Paj05 (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 19:35

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 19:35
Grant, how's about a recipe for the "Grant M with the lot"? Thanks, RayJen
FollowupID: 560767

Follow Up By: Member - grant M (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 20:31

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 20:31
Rayjen, my secret is lots of tobasco
FollowupID: 560788

Reply By: Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 19:31

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 19:31
Hill Billy camp oven, love it

Check 'em out here

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 294866

Follow Up By: Lunny0204 - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 20:09

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 20:09
We are looking at getting a Hillbily set up saw it at a show recently. Anyone got any feedback on them? We like the fact they are not as heavy as the cast iron ones.
FollowupID: 560778

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 20:22

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 20:22
I am happy to recommend Hillbilly. We have the camp oven with the vegetable ring in it plus the "expander" that makes it a bit bigger. Always had good results.

We also have the barbecue setup which we use regularly. Also the Hillbilly people are terrific to deal with. I had a small problem with a water billy and they replaced it without any fuss. Good people and a terrific product.

Hillbilly link

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 560781

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 20:24

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 20:24
As I said I love it. Used it for both campfire and with the gas attachment. Very versatile in it's uses as the lid can be used as a pan etc.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 560782

Reply By: Steve Ellis - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 19:55

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 19:55
Look at Derek Bullocks site on the net. COCOI ? Something like that. He is something of a Guru on camp ovens It is very good and explains most if not all of the issues with camp ovens. We have a few and find that a 10 inch is adequate for most meats but for vegies you will also need a 8 inch. Dont cook both together if you want the vegies to brown. The meat as a rule needs 1 and 1 half to 2 hours and needs to cook slowly, and the vegies about half that but have the vegie oven and oil preheated before putting it on top of the meat oven. This is for 2 people. Enjoy and welcome to the world of camp oven cooking. You will never go back.
AnswerID: 294876

Follow Up By: Steve Ellis - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 20:03

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 20:03
It would seem everyone is on the same page re camp ovens [dont call them dutch ovens, that is the same thing only american . We are not anti american but proudly Australian] Yes Dereck site is good. Dont forget to season it properly or all the food will taste like GTX Motor Oil.
FollowupID: 560776

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 19:55

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 19:55
All camp ovens are good, but having used our Bedourie Oven for the past 20 years, we've grown attached to it. It does a great roast, and we use it as a "wok" for stir fries. Its made of spun steel, so is light and easy to store.

Its hard to do crispy potato - we do the roast first, remove it and wrap it in foil, then do the veggies separately, and with a fair bit of heat. Even so, its hard to crisp them as well as we would at home.
AnswerID: 294877

Follow Up By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 13:08

Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 13:08
Have you seen the new shape Bedourie Phil? They were at the latest Caravan and Camping show at Wayville and look great. I was tempted but I already have one small and two big ones and the Bush Princess was looking over my shoulder at the time.

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 560937

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 15:33

Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 15:33
Gday Pete,
Yeah, they have the inverted lid - a bit of a cross between the old Bedourie and a hillbilly. My bush princess thinks the same as yours :-)))
FollowupID: 560970

Reply By: furph - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 20:53

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 20:53
There is nothing wrong at all with the el cheapo made in China product providing you get off on the right track.

As it comes out of the camping store it will have a coat of some sort of grease over it ( probably tallow rendered down from some long extinct quadruped). Burn this off by putting the oven and lid (separated) over a slow burning (hot coals) fire.

Leave overnight, in the morning give a good wash out and dry. The inside is more than likely going to be very rough to the touch.

Beg, borrow, steal or just get the 4" angle grinder out of the shed and "carefully" remove all the roughness from inside the oven and the lid.

This makes the difference between your "el cheapo" and the very expensive ozz. made one. Once you have a nice smooth surface within the oven, then the seasoning can be done.

Either some lamb leg bones (with a bit of meat on) or a good slug of olive oil, lid on and a few hours over a very low (mainly hot coals) fire.

This is the start, its ready to cook in, but the more you cook in it, the better it gets.

When you have cooked your meal. give it a bit of a scrape around to get the solids out, about a litre of water, heat to boiling then let cool overnight.

In the morning, turn the water out, about the same of clean in, heat up, a scrub with a hard brush, empty out, dry, and ready to go again.

Please, no detergent, you want to end up with a nice black "patina"inside the oven and lid. Once you have it going well, the mearest smear of cooking oil will prevent rust between years.

I have about 6-8 ovens going, the oldest over 100, the newest only a year. All cook with the same result.
Good cracklin' on pork, crispy spuds'n'punkin just come with experience.

I say "Go for it Macca!"
furph
AnswerID: 294903

Follow Up By: DIO - Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 10:44

Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 10:44
No detergent - yep that's right. To clean use a handful (or two) of wet sand and rub gently on area you wish to clean. Not too hard otherwise you will remove the "patina". As for crisp potatoes, boil for ten or so minutes, dry and place into fat/oil. If same is hot enough it WILL produce crispy potatoes.
FollowupID: 560910

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 20:55

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 20:55
I started with a medium Bedourie (good overall) - now on the Hillbilly (very good overall) - the "billy' costs a lot more but has more features - worth having IMO - but hey, if you we had to, we could cook our dinner on a shovel :-o)...........
AnswerID: 294904

Follow Up By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 13:10

Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 13:10
I have always wanted to try that shovel trick.
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 560939

Follow Up By: Member - eerfree(QLD) - Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 21:44

Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 21:44
Me too, but then I remembered what I used the shovel for !!!!

eerfree
FollowupID: 561060

Reply By: Angler - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 21:42

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 21:42
One handy little trick I learned from an old friend is to find out where the lid balances when lifting whilst it is cold and then use a three cornered file to put a small V in the lid handle (underneath of course).
Next time you lift the lid find the slot and lift without any worries about it slipping sideways and dropping coals into the meal.

Works for me.
I have used a few different ovens and they all cook the same.

(Very well)

Pooley
AnswerID: 294915

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 13:37

Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 13:37
Yes but the coals on the lid change the centre of balance. i would lun my boot around the outside to brush the cols from the ery edge then gently test the balance befor doing the lift.
Many a fine camp meal has been spoilt right at the last minute by having the coals dumped in it.
Not funny at the time but makes good story down the track
FollowupID: 560946

Sponsored Links