WA Trip

Submitted: Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 01:20
ThreadID: 55999 Views:2512 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
We have decided on a trip to WA to come home via Augusta (Cape Leeuwin) via the Milyeannup Coast Road then Woodarburrup Road across towards Northcliffe. My question is where do we get across the Blackwood River, I seen mention on a map of a Ferry near Molloy Inlet, can you get across to the coast road there, I am assuming there is no crossing near the mouth of the river?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mike w (WA) - Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 05:29

Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 05:29
Blaze, the only way you wil be able to get across the river is via the black top. As you turn right at Karridale onto the Nannup rd, you will cross the blackwood at Alexander Bridge. Further up you will find your turn off for the Milly Coast rd.

Are you towing a large van? if not, I thoroughly recomend a side trip to Black Point and Lake Jasper. Slow going coastal track, but beautiful area. Wasily gotten to from the Milly coast rd. HEMA maps should show it, otherwise the WA roads and tracks book does. It will bring you out near Karri Valley, a few kays out of pemberton.
AnswerID: 295163

Follow Up By: Blaze - Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 10:38

Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 10:38
Hi Mike,

Thanks for info, sounds good. we are towing off road campers so what do you think about the coastal track, campers have been towed to Cape York so do have good Off Road ability...
FollowupID: 561173

Follow Up By: Member - John H (WA) - Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 10:48

Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 10:48
As you mentioned they are offroad campers, you''ll have no issues with them around Black Point and Lake Jasper.

Sandy tracks that are a bit tight through the scrub is all. Too tight for a van, but no issue for a camper trailer.

John
FollowupID: 561178

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 11:37

Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 11:37
Hi Blaze, Only problem might be when someone is coming the other way; the track is pretty narrow and sandy with thick scrub on the sides. You'll need to let the tyres down in the sand.
Black Point is a great spot and worth the trip; part of an ancient lava flow. (see my pics). Usually some good camping a few hundred metres back from the coast in a gully amongst peppermint trees, tho it can be crowded on weekends. Bring water.
Gerry
FollowupID: 561185

Reply By: mike w (WA) - Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 21:24

Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 21:24
Blaze,

No probs with off road campers. As mentioned before, you will need to look at tyre pressures.

Fishing is also good, a few groper around (if you know where to look), taylor, a bit of mulloway, herring etc etc.

Great spot to camp also, jasper beach is nice. Theres a well set up bush camp at the top of the dunes, at the enterence to Jasper beach. Just depends on who gets there first

Have fun and a safe trip

Mike
AnswerID: 295325

Follow Up By: Blaze - Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 15:15

Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 15:15
thanks guys,

Am I right in thinking the best way to Blck Point will be once on the Mily Coast Rd to turn off onto Woodarburrup?

We dont have a problem with oncoming traffic, we just put a Yota badge on the front along with a Britz hire sign.... Oncomings usually get out of the way... LOL

FollowupID: 561428

Follow Up By: mike w (WA) - Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 16:07

Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 16:07
Not sure on the names, but sounds right.

Eventually you will come to a big x road on the sand track. Very well marked. L for blackpoint, R for Nannup (closed if its wet, If you're ever at the Nannup Pub, you'll see pictures why), straight for Jasper.

Have fun, most of the traffic down that way is pretty friendly, and their are plenty of spots to get your Britz out of the way, just start practicing you fritz accent
FollowupID: 561441

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 21:35

Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 21:35
Blaze,

the ferry near Molloy Inlet goes to Molloy Island, and the public can not use it, it is a Rich-mans Island, owned by the rich land owners of the south west WA..

But I have been across it...
AnswerID: 295329

Sponsored Links