Steca Pr model setup

Submitted: Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 16:52
ThreadID: 56014 Views:2262 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Greetings all

Sorry if this seems a dumb and longwinded question but as I'm about to setup my first solar system I could do with some advice.
The sytem will be a portable on ie not attached to vehicle and I was wondering about using it with a dual battery system.
As mentiioned I intend to go with a Steca PR regulator which has panel/battery and load inputs, there will be no load via the regulator as the load is attached via the battery and goes directly to the camper, so will the Steca be able to read the load going to the camper whilst it is charging?
Next question; if the panel is charging the first battery will the second one be charging (both lead acid) at the same time and if so will it be able to distinguish the charge levels of the individual batteries whilst setup like this or will I have to re-attach it to the 2nd battery to get the charge info.
hope this ain't as clear as mud, cheers and thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dunaruna - Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 17:18

Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 17:18
Paralleled dual batts will be seen as one battery by the controller, when you enter the battery values into the processor you need to enter the cumulative values. The controller will calculate it's readings as if you only had one battery (did I just add mud to the water?)

Yes, the load (as connected to the 'load' terminals) will be read independently of the charge reading.

Read the instructions carefully and double check your entries, if you get it wrong the incorrect values will have a knock on affect and give you incorrect SOC readings.
AnswerID: 295265

Reply By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 17:30

Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 17:30
No load via the regulator = no load reading. Wired up the way you propose, the unit will give you input readings but not output (load). The SOC calculations will be mucked around as a result. If the batteries are connected to your alternator, this will muck up the SOC calculations as well. You will need to switch it to the 'voltage control' method.

They are a great little unit, but for the SOC algorithms to work properly, all charging sources should come through the regulator as should all load. It will still work fine for what you are after though.

AnswerID: 295269

Follow Up By: Axel [ the real one ] - Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 17:39

Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 17:39
1 major point you have forgotten to mention is that if you put any charge from alternator / generator thru the Steca solar input terminals you will effectively blow / make useless the the unit , an error code not even mentioned in the handbook tells the story so no warranty.
FollowupID: 561236

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 17:43

Friday, Mar 28, 2008 at 17:43
Sorry, I assumed that he wouldn't try that. Yes, don't try it. They are not designed for that sort of input (even the 30A one I suspect).
FollowupID: 561238

Sponsored Links