Travelling with food or not.

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 23:04
ThreadID: 56059 Views:2975 Replies:9 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
We are getting the final things together for our trip over to Ayres Rock. We will be travelling down to Cameron's Corner up to Innamincka then on to Birdsville, Boulia then over to Alice and touring around the Red Centre. We don't know weather to carry food for the whole month or just carry a few tins and some long life stuff and pick up things like meat and bits and pieces along the way. Any suggestions would great.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 23:06

Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 23:06
Part of the fun is visiting the small shops and supporting them along the way.
AnswerID: 295504

Reply By: Member - David P (VIC) - Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 23:07

Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 23:07
Derek, just pack your addictons :) .....silverback
AnswerID: 295505

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 23:48

Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 23:48
There's not much in the line of tucker out there. Bits 'n pieces maybe. Nothing so to speak at Camerons Corner, Innamincka, Birdsville...unless you just want a tin of baked beans and so on....around the Alice you can stock up again. Don't want to buy too much at Uluru....need a chequebook to pay for purchases...lol
AnswerID: 295510

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 02:25

Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 02:25
Sure it was a while ago (03) but Yulara had the cheapest country fuel i saw all trip at 1.05 for diesal
FollowupID: 561541

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 05:22

Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 05:22
Like Willem said!!
FollowupID: 561544

Reply By: Member - Yikes... (WA) - Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 00:31

Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 00:31
It all depends on how much your willing to pay for food items. If the buck isnt a issue so much then as mentioned, support the locals - but if its a bit tight and you dont want to pay $12 for a toasted sanga... bring your own: Personally I like to mix up a bit of both - that way if you run into trouble and need to sit it out somewhere for a while at least you can survive without gold nuggets falling thru your pockets... assuming you happen to get into trouble where you can get to a shop... \

just food for thought
AnswerID: 295512

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 08:37

Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 08:37
The variety of food that you can get is also pretty limited. Most bread and meat will be frozen. Very little in fresh fruit and veges.
Last year at Innaminka I wanted a few potatoes. They had spuds -but only in a big (5 or 3kg) bag which was much more than I could carry and they were not willing to open a bag.
My preference would be to carry the basics and just top up as the limited possibilities allow.

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 561553

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 08:40

Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 08:40
Innamincka and Birdsville both ahve good outback shops where you can get everything you need in tins and packets; and depending on the day of the week, limited fresh veg and fruit, and for meat, they usually have a freezer full of supermarket meat.

Alice has huge Woolies and Coles (better than our local ones).
AnswerID: 295526

Reply By: jeepthing - Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 09:08

Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 09:08
We carry a months supply of frozen meat, fish and chicken all cryovaced. My wife does up some stews for when we are travelling just have to heat them up when we stop for the night. Also carry a months supply of tin veges. Then we buy fresh fruit and veges, meat bread milk etc along the way. We have found it is difficult to get fresh quality meat in the smaller towns, most of the bread is always frozen. It's a good idea to check the use by date on milk we were caught out once with sour milk, luckilly we had a supply of long life in our emergency rations.

We normaly go for 3 months at a time and most of it is spent in national parks and isolated areas and this system has worked for us.

Anyway enjoy your trip
AnswerID: 295532

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 09:32

Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 09:32
After many years of travelling & camping our food thing has changed a bit. Our most important consideration is meat & we virtually fill the 3 way with frozen, cryovaced stuff before leaving home. Experience has shown that meat sourced in the outback is
of poor quality & goes off almost immediately. We can get up to 2
weeks out of that & then buy only in small quantities as required.
We used to take dried veg in little packets but it is now very expensive so have reverted to tins. No preparation & quick to cook. Longlife stuff is fine but often a nuisance once opened, & we only carry it as a backup alongwith a few tins of beans/spag,
which usually do the return journey. Alice has big supermarkets,
but the meat thing still applies, lamb is worst. Those plastic jars
of fruit are good with custard as desert. Get the bottles with screw tops. Cardboard liquid containers are a disaster..avoid.
We always carry some nibbles & water/drinks in the car, especially
if taking the kids. Dont spend time boiling the billy for morning
tea, fill the thermos at breakfast. And most importantly.....
have fun....:)). oldbaz.
Almost forgot...climb the Rock if you must, but walk around it too,
& do The Valley of the Winds walk at the Olgas.
AnswerID: 295536

Follow Up By: Member - bushfix - Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 09:48

Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 09:48
"Dont spend time boiling the billy for morning tea"

maaaaaaaaaaate!!! I know a few people do the thermos thing but I like having a quick yarn with 'ol Bill as part of the spell. :)

ditto vacuum sealed meat and tinned goods. lots of tinned stuff has its own liquid/water inside so saves you using other water. Just remember to write on the tops of the tins what is inside as the labels can go walkabout on extended trips.

working out a rough meal plan before the trip helps you estimate quantities required, including emergency/contingency stocks. But that is all I use the plan for, I cook what I feel like cooking come the time.

long life milks in the small containers mean you can usually do breakfast and a cuppa (if you take it white) and then squash the carton and put it in your rubbish bag. No need to use a fridge for leftover milk this way.

we also keep a box of veges in the dark, cool depths and depending on what reqions you cover, fruit is in the icebox.

take some flour etc and knock up your own slices/cakes/damper/bread etc along the way if you have the time.
FollowupID: 561565

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 11:01

Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 11:01
As most above said, we usually carry about 2 weeks of food, mainly dried (pasta, flour, biscuits etc) and tinned (meat/vegies/fruit). About 3 weeks of meat made up in cryovac bags in meal sizes. Fresh fruit usually only lasts one (maybe two) weeks, while potatoes etc last a little longer.

Long life milk and rye bread last longer. Have powdered milk as a back up.
(Except on rough corrugations for a couple of weeks, long life milk can turn to cream.)

So we do stock up as we go after the first week for bread. If needed do make the ocassional damper.

So we do buy as we go, but keep stocks at about two weeks worth, just in case.
AnswerID: 295549

Reply By: Member - Julie P (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 17:21

Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 17:21
We have found that tinned "tiny taters" are a must have in our camp cupboard - can be used as is, make potato salad, put in with roast in the Cobb - mash - very versatile - also packet soups - single serve - which can also be used as a casserole base or sauce base for over steak or chops - or simply as a starter on a cold evening - we have also found two fridges works best for longer trips - one as a dedicated freezer - the other as daily fridge.
We also buy some things as we go - depending on where we are - and plan ahead to make sure we never run out.
AnswerID: 295611

Sponsored Links