Locked diff for towing

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 17:53
ThreadID: 56082 Views:1972 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I've seen some great movies and shots of vehicles demonstrating the benefits of a locked diff. Generally, in a single 4*4, the locked front diff seems to be the way to go.
We're going to Cape York in July and will be towing a camper trailer behind our 80 series wagon. I have prev had a Detroit locker in the rear on this car, but took it out and sold it for a couple of reasons, my wife did not like driving it with it in around town and secondly, it put enormous strain on the driveline when it was doing it's job. I had to replace the Uni joints in fairly short time. Magic bit of kit though.

Still, I thinking that I might get another one and am wondering if I did, would I be better of with it in the front or rear diff as a tow car.
I'm actually interested in knowing whether I really even need one for that trip. We will def not be taking any of the hero tracks.
Any advice will be appreciated.
Regards
Steve.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: _gmd_pps - Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 18:11

Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 18:11
not for a small trailer
I have a Detroit Auto Locker in the rear and it is great for towing when one of the double wheels start spinning when I accelerate with the boat in the back and the slide-on loaded but I could also driver slower .. don't see any other reason than tracktion with heavy load .. gravel uphill maybe but then again with a tiny CT .. don't think it's worth the hasel if your vehicle is not made for it

good luck
gmd
AnswerID: 295627

Reply By: westozal - Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 18:31

Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 18:31
Hi,
I've had a Maverick with the detriot in the front...just great,however, a detriot is not great on a constant 4x4 as your 80 series possibly is.( i'm making an assumption its a GXL model not standard).
If you want my opinion only way to go is either a tjm or arb locker and i would still put it in the back as i have on my current 80 series. Then you can put in and out as required. No change to the driving chracteristics.
Alan

AnswerID: 295637

Follow Up By: GerryP - Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 19:56

Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 19:56
Agree with above regarding the comment on driving characteristics. If you put an air locker in the front (as I have in my 105 cruiser) you need to be prepared to use the switch and lock only when you think you need it. On hard surfaces you will find steering much more difficult. Tried it on bitumen once, just to see what effect it had and found it impossible to turn at all - maybe at higher speeds it may have been better, but I wasn't about to test that theory!
Having said that, a front locker will help over rough stuff such as creek crossings and basically anywhere you are likely to lose traction or lift a front wheel.
Cheers
Gerry
FollowupID: 561672

Sponsored Links