gum tree sap

Submitted: Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 00:38
ThreadID: 56101 Views:1978 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

Wife and I have just had a couple of days away in our oztrail camper.
The first morning brought with it about 15 minutews of rain and that was it for the week end.
When it come to packing up I descoveried that the trees we were camped by had covered one side of with sap....The question is , what should I do about it?, leave it as part of weathering the camper or clean it off. If the later, how do I clean it off
Bri
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Julie P (VIC) - Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 08:22

Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 08:22
You could try eaucalyptis oil - but why not leave it as part of the experience - if we cleaned ours we would not have some of the memories of where and when we got that spot - or that lot of red dirt stain etc. We love the fact that it shows we use if well - and nothing gets through - even in the wettest of weather.

Some friends had their first experience of heavy rain over Easter in their camper - were very pleased at the fact that everything was bone dry - and there is nothing better than lying in bed listening to rain outside knowing you are warm and dry inside. Though I will say, we sometimes put a camp blanket (the type with the rubber backing) over our bed - rubber side up - stops the cold coming through, and adds a bit of extra warmth when needed.
jules
AnswerID: 295742

Reply By: traveller2 - Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 10:34

Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 10:34
Having had this several times over 30 odd years with our hard floor campers and tents it is best to leave it alone. Some will eventually harden and flake off when dry, some will stain the canvas which you can do nothing about.
Best not to camp under trees especially eucalypts if you don't want marks on canvas, tarps or vehicles.
AnswerID: 295761

Follow Up By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 12:49

Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 12:49
Or tree branch through the canvas or worse.
FollowupID: 561793

Sponsored Links