Folding A Campomatic Up Wet

Submitted: Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 10:09
ThreadID: 56105 Views:3516 Replies:12 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
When folding a Campomatic (or similar) up wet what do people do to stop the bed from getting moisture on it. I was thinking a poly tarp but this would still let any moisture run of it onto the bed base on be absorbed by the mattress.

Any helpful hints appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - beachbum - Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 10:21

Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 10:21
Gooday ADM and we were faced with the same problem with an Aussie Swag we had for a while. Went to our local Canvas person and had them make a vinyl cover that covered the bedding and wrapped down over the sides/ends and tucked in under the mattress. Each corner folded and was joined with Velcro and it worked really well. Ours had quite wide tucks and could cover quite a lot of bedding as required when in colder climates and the wide tucks stopped any moisture from getting in under the mattress. Hope this may give you a start point.
AnswerID: 295759

Reply By: Member - Vince B (NSW) - Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 10:24

Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 10:24
Hi ADM.
I have had 3 hard floor campers & used a tarp over the bed when wet.
Never any problems with water in the mattress.
Regards.
Vince
AnswerID: 295760

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 10:57

Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 10:57
Just a curiosity question. Why do hardfloor campers wet the bed?
Do external wet surfaces contact the bedding, or are you talking
of condensation internally ?. Certainly not a problem with our softfloor job, had to pack up wet a couple of times, but dampness
only on outside & not enough to actually run off. We now throw over a silver tarp so never have to worry about it.....oldbaz.
AnswerID: 295764

Reply By: Axel [ the real one ] - Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 13:07

Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 13:07
An old Army hutchie is the perfect size for the Camp-o-matic ,tucks in and around the innerspring / bedding ,, never yet any water /moisture runoff even when folding up in the pouring rain,,,
AnswerID: 295768

Reply By: DesF - Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 13:56

Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 13:56
Hi, when you put the plastic over the bed make sure it is large enough to fold up at the edges. tuck it down the sides and leave the edge sticking up.
I used to check for any water in the fold ( very rarely found any)around the edge of the matress and if there just wipe out with a towel.
Cheers Des.
AnswerID: 295776

Reply By: ADM - Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 14:17

Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 14:17
Thanks for the reply's.

Would be well worth getting something made along the line of what you have suggested. While it has never been really wet, there is some moisture when the canvas has been well soaked.

Cheers
AnswerID: 295781

Reply By: Philip A - Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 16:38

Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 16:38
While I am tempting fate as I have been lucky enough to have the canvas pretty dry every time i have packed my 1997 Campomatic up, I find that my canvas has never been damp inside even after pouring rain.
This may be beacause I reproofed it with Dri Seal.I find that the water beads on the outside. After 2 inches of rain overnight, I was able to dry it off by shaking and rubbing over with a sponge.
It poured on the way home and a little water got through the front seal and stayed beaded on the outside of the canvas.
After w aweek f rain at home I opened it up as I was worried and found just the bit in the corner.
So my advice is that reproofing with lots of Dri Seal should help, even if the camper is only a few years old.
I use a blue poly tarp over my bead with no problems, but it has never really been tested.
Now if someone could advise how to keep underneath the bed dry from overnight body condensation I would be interested. I have 4inch mattress and a cellular foam overlay, so the wiry plastic stuff will not fit. I was thinking of maybe drilling lots of holes in the wood or maybe fit expanded mesh panels. At the moment I just fold the bed over in the morning.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 295796

Reply By: Twinkles - Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 16:55

Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 16:55
I've packed my Bush Ranger hard floor camper up with a puddle in it and the bed still stayed dry. The puddles ran off when I opened it to camp in the afternoon. Couldn't do much about the puddle while packing up as it was pouring rain. On my way home from Darwin in wet season. We had 5 inches one nght while I was set up in Darwin, and fantastic lightening, which split a tree in half down the drive where I was camped at Howard Springs. My camper didn't leak throught the canvas. Got a few drops through one of the door zips. Very humid to sleep. Felt clammy inside camper until set up under carport to allow full drying of canvas.
AnswerID: 295801

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 18:06

Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 18:06
When we pack up our soft floor CT in the rain, we put a blue poly tarp over the bed.

Works fine, no wet bed so far. Canvas usually dries out in a day.

Once when coming home in the rain (had 150mm over 2 days), it was left folded up for three days at home until it stopped raining.
Still dried out OK during the next few days. Bed was dry.
AnswerID: 295820

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 19:09

Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 19:09
We have an 04 Campomatic - bought some clear plastic sheeting off the roll at Bunnings - fairly tough and is wider than needed - not expensive - does the job nicely - if the weather is fine when the tent is opened for the next stop the canvas dries out soon enough.
AnswerID: 295833

Reply By: Mogul - Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 20:57

Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 20:57
Never had a problem with a wet bed when packing up our Pioneer when wet. It probably depends on the quality of the canvass.
AnswerID: 295861

Reply By: Paul McDougall - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 14:51

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 14:51
Hi ADM
I purchased 2 painters sheet sets from Bunnings for $1.50 each. The painters sheet covers our bed in the Pioneer Onyx (queen size bed) and absolutely no moisture has got through. A great cheap alternative.
The reason I purchased 2 sets is just in case one sheet tears. For $3.00 I think I should be protected.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 295956

Sponsored Links