Lights

Submitted: Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 21:27
ThreadID: 5614 Views:1939 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi i have a Nissan Patrol 93 TI
it has sealed beams. I wish to replace them with a pair of nava 7 inch replacment lights do I to replace the wiring loom ?? Are any auto sparkys out there ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric - Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 21:50

Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 21:50
Gunnie.
No the new lights will plug striaght in. Eric
AnswerID: 23326

Follow Up By: Gunnie - Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 22:00

Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 22:00
Eric I'm thinking of having 130/90 globes can the loom handle it ?
FollowupID: 15506

Follow Up By: Member - Nigel (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 07:24

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 07:24
I'd be more worried about the switch than the loom. If you burnt out your switch you'll regret not paying $20 for a couple of relays.

I made myself up a new harness with 6mm2 cable and 2 Hella Relays, cost about $50 all up including new sockets for the bulbs.

I put in the hella lenses with Narva All Weather bulbs. I didn't go for the higher wattage as I prefer my vehicle to be legally roadworthy. And besides that it really bleep es me off when an approaching vehicles low beam has so much glare that I can't see the road, so if I don't like it then I won't do it to other drivers.
FollowupID: 15515

Follow Up By: Luke - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 14:53

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 14:53
That's a refreshing attitude Nigel - it's good to see that somebody is thinking. I don't like it when approaching vehicles have very glary low beams.

Personally - if you need extra light, sure fit excellent driving lights so that you can turn them on and off when required - but keep your low beams from blinding oncomers :)

Cheers,

Luke.
FollowupID: 15538

Follow Up By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 18:15

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 18:15
Nigel, Luke,

Its not the power in the headlamp that dazzles, its the way they are setup and adjusted, just like the fog lamps discussed elsewhere they are low wattage (50 w or thereabouts) and their poor adjustment angers everyone.

I alwyas check mine when fully loaded and adjust them down to make sure I don't dazzle oncoming drivers, cause that annoys me no end when someone does it to me, especially at the end of a loooooong day, its very hard not to give them a ZAP with the high beam and driving lights just to remind them.

I also did my own loom, took the connectors for the lamps off an old XD Ford and soldered the connections and shrink insulated them, works well and the relays do the job of lowering the stress on the light loom.

hoorooSo many places to go!
So much work to do :0(
FollowupID: 15563

Follow Up By: Luke - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 18:39

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 18:39
Yes, you make a good point Bonz the adjustment is the biggest and most overlooked problem.

I do still respectfully think that a higher wattage low beam contributes to dazzle problem though - JMHO

...especially when you have a 90watt low beam that's not adjusted properly :-) but like you said you check your adjustment when loaded which is admirable. I wish more people would be as courteous.

Cheers,

Luke.
FollowupID: 15566

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 10:23

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 10:23
I agree with Nigel..

Do it once do it right, never worry again! Specially if your going to run large globes. Some people have luck with them, and run 110/140's with no problem others have problems with less globes.

AnswerID: 23351

Reply By: Matt M - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 15:33

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 15:33
Gunnie, I have done both at different times!

You can very simply replace the sealed beams for QH inserts and then fit whatever gloge takes your fancy, but as said before the wiring loom will melt in a few places if you fit much more than the 60/55w the sealed beams were.

I have installed an upgraded wiring loom to run 145/90 and found them to be brilliant and not too bad on approach as long as you have them ADJUSTED PROPERLY!! Thats the reason for most oncoming glare not as much the wattage of the globe! But they were and overkill and have since dropped down to some of the more modern Xenon QH which give out more light than the standard 60/55 for about the same load! Its quality not so much as quantity!

Goodluck with the swap Im sure you will appreciate the difference!
Matt.
AnswerID: 23370

Follow Up By: Luke - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 16:41

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 16:41
Yes Matt M,

You are quite right - most of the problem with people's oncoming low beam glare is due to poor adjustments - even 55wat globes can hurt if adjusted incorrectly.

...but 90 watt low beams are still too bright and do make it uncomfortable for oncoming traffic IMHO.

Cheers,

Luke.

FollowupID: 15551

Reply By: Eric - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 23:13

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 23:13
Gunnie.
I can not recomend using the higher wattage globes, it is unfare and illegal. The wiring on modern vehicles is a highly technical set up, you may have noticed that the wires are a lot thinner on the latter models and that the standard lights will outlast the life of the vehicle. This is because the way the the alternator is set up is diferent to the older cars, the alternator puts out a higher voltage as measured at the back of the ignition switch, and then the battery and the lights are run through a carefully chosen resistance in the form of thin wires, the reason that globes blow is that when they are cold they have very low resistance and when you switch them on a very high current rushes in to the filament and blows it, buy using the higher voltage and a resistor this high current is limited to a value which will not blow the globes. People who dont understand this design replace the wiring with relays and thick wire and end up conecting striaght to the battery which does not improve the lights, reduces the battery charge rate, and reduces the life of the globes. So by all means change the style of the light but use the factory loom and all will be well. Eric.
AnswerID: 23418

Sponsored Links