Will this result in an Australian Standard for Snatch Straps??

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 11:03
ThreadID: 56148 Views:3258 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I just saw a reference to this on another forum and did some investigating.

I found this media release

from the link

The Office of Fair Trading is working with industry to develop a safety standard for motor vehicle snatch straps, to ensure consumers will be provided with appropriate safety information.

I wonder if it will happen??

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Waynepd (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 11:35

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 11:35
It can't hurt to have a standard to work to i guess. It always seems it comes down to the lowest common denominator ie the dumbest possible user to determine the safety standards.

As long as the bureaucrats don't go overboard we should be ok.

I am not a experienced user of snatch straps so correct me if i am wrong please, i am not sure if a breaking strap would be a danger in itself. I thought it would be recovery points coming adrift and being propelled at spectators and recovery participants that would be the main problem.
AnswerID: 295939

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 12:07

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 12:07
Waynepd, A few weeks ago I had a look at the rear door from my mates 4wd which had to be replaced when hit by a breaking snatch strap. The bend in the door was at a lower edge where it was reinforced and not just the thin metal in the centre panel. To answer your question, yes, a breaking snatch strap can be Very dangerous.

FollowupID: 561986

Follow Up By: Waynepd (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 21:58

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 21:58
Ok thanks Kiwi, Its just hard to imagine it not just flopping onto the ground once the tension is released but i guess they do have a bit of weight to them eh?
FollowupID: 562088

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 19:11

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 19:11
Here is a little story from the past

lol

Cheers

AnswerID: 295992

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 19:20

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 19:20
And I think they are still trying to clean the stain from the drivers seat LOL

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 562057

Follow Up By: Waynepd (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 21:57

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 21:57
Amazing tale Willem thanks....
FollowupID: 562087

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 17:38

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 17:38
great yarm Willem and i have seen the damage a little snathch strap can do to metal and fibreglass.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 562895

Reply By: splits - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 19:57

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 19:57
Getting "tow hitches engineered and suitably bolted to the vehicles for that purpose" could be a challenge.

I was scratching my head wondering how to fit recovery points to the rear of the 2003 Hilux that I bought last year. I asked the men in charge of the driver training section of my club and they suggested I ask Toyota. I sent an email off immediately and the reply came back saying to see an accredited 4wd driver training school!

I bolted a second genuine factory hook to the other side of the chassis at the front even using genuine Toyota bolts but the owner's handbook says not to jerk these hooks and avoid sudden starts or erratic driving manoeuvres that would place excessive stress on them.

I also noticed the factory hooks are not rated. I could buy some rated ones but no matter how many tons were written on them, there is no way on knowing what the mounting points will withstand. It looks like the factory is not going to commit itself by placing a figure on anything.

All that is needed now is an engineer who is prepared to put his name to a towing hitch that will be frequently fitted to overloaded vehicles connected by the highest rated snatch strap to another heavy vehicle being driven by someone with no training whatsoever.

I think we will be waiting a long time for that to happen.

Brian
AnswerID: 296003

Reply By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 19:58

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 19:58
I had a quick look in the bible (youtube) for some clips and found this
D shackle.
I would guess that they have snapped, what they thought was a recovery point.
Lucky he has only lost a tyre!
AnswerID: 296004

Reply By: CJ - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 21:19

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 21:19
Best solution to most accidents involving a snatch strap would be to have an Australian Standard for the USER

CJ
AnswerID: 296031

Sponsored Links