Grafton to Bald Nob Coach Road?

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 21:22
ThreadID: 56164 Views:3634 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Evening all,

I was reading an article in the courier mail on the weekend and there was a story about a 4wd track along an "old coach road" between Grafton and Bald Nob in NSW. Does anyone know anything about this track or be able to point me in a direction where I might find some info on this track? Also would be looking at camping in this area.

Many thanks

old mate
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: furph - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 08:32

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 08:32
Old mate.
What you are referring to is the old Grafton/Glen Innes road.
This starts about 15km. west of South Grafton (Gwyder Hwy.) and heads in a general sw diection.
At Buccarumbi it crosses the Nymboida r. runs alongside the Boyd r. for several km., crosses the Mann r. to finally "come up the hill" to Bald Knob, about 35km. e of Glen Innes.
There are great camp spots all along, rmains of old villages, (Dalmorton being one), old cemetaries, and in season the best bush lemons you will find anywhere (eat them like an apple!)
Good fishing all along, mainly catfish, plenty of eastern cod, but they are protected.
Depends where you are, if coming down (up) the NE hwy. you will plenty of info. in GI, then its all down hill to Grafton.
furph
AnswerID: 296090

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 09:10

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 09:10
Furph,

I have heard that apart from Mann River Reserve, there is no camping permitted anymore, unless of course it is on private property.

Apparently Dept of Lands has erected No Camping signs on all of the reserves along that road.

Not sure if its true, just what I have heard.

Cheers,

Cruiser
FollowupID: 562141

Follow Up By: Gronk - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 10:05

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 10:05
Yep, pretty much correct.....not much camping....but if coming from Grafton......approx 1/2 way from the end of the tar and Dalmorton.....keep an eye out on the left.....a couple of tracks down to the river flats with the only sign being to not litter.....top spot..
Only other spot is the new National Park camping area across the river from Dalmorton and of course Mann River
FollowupID: 562155

Follow Up By: furph - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 10:36

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 10:36
Cruiser.
What you say is correct, a lot of signs were erected, believed to be at the instigation of the owners of Broadmeadow.
However new owners there now, and many of the signs have somehow disappeared!
Was down at Buccarumbi Oct. long weekend and there were heaps of campers all along. I understand Easter was the same.
I think the main problem was those bloody 2stroke trail bikes bling blinging all over the place.
They get on my wick anyway.
furph
FollowupID: 562158

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 09:08

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 09:08
As stated above - great drive through interesting country.

2WD road mainly gravel. Goes through a short tunnel along the river. Several campsites.

Near the climb out of the valley is a road into Mann River NP (on left coming from Grafton) which is a bit more 4WD and goes to a great lookout. Unfortunately, most of the country across the river at Dalmorton has been locked up. Used to have great fire trails in there.
AnswerID: 296098

Reply By: old mate - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 10:22

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 10:22
Hey, thanks everyone for the information. I was looking at starting from the Grafton end but now I have some direction now to search for further information.

Thanks again, much appreciated

old mate.
AnswerID: 296105

Sponsored Links