Batteries for winching

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 23:34
ThreadID: 56172 Views:1852 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

I am in the process of rigging up a couple of 105ah deep cycle batteries in our trusty 75 series LC to power 2 Engles and some lights. One is a 29l that we use as a freezer (old but still works well) and a 39l to use as a fridge. Cranking the oiler to life is taken care of by a couple of N70ZZ,s in parallel. Isolation of cranking and camping batteries will be done with a simple manual rotary switch. Yes I realize that there are automatic electronic isolators available but I am quite happy to lift the bonnet, have a quick check around the engine bay and turn a switch.Also previously any winching was done with a Tirfor. Handy bit of kit but getting to be hard work as the years roll by. I have come to the horrible realization that this isn't going to get any better so I am in the midst of fitting a 10000lb electric winch.
Question (after all that rambling) if I am in a situation requiring winching would it be better in the context of good battery longevity to use either cranking or deep cycle batteries, or use them all? I am not sure if using batteries intended for different purposes together may cause harm.

Thanks for any input in advance

Cheers Pop
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: John S (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 00:15

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 00:15
pop2jocem,

I would use the cranking batteries. Deep cycle are designed for long constant (low) power drains, where as cranking batteries can sustain sudden high power drains. A 10000lb winch under full load can draw up to 500amps.
AnswerID: 296071

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 00:25

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 00:25
Thanks for the reply John, I guess what you have stated confirms what was in the back of my mind that the deep cycles may sustain damage if used for winching even with the help of the crankers. Thanks again
FollowupID: 562108

Follow Up By: John S (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 00:38

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 00:38
Pop,

Having 2x N70ZZ for cranking will easily cope with the load from the winch. I have 1 cranking battery and never had issues with the XP 9.5 winch I have.

FollowupID: 562112

Follow Up By: Topcat (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 00:43

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 00:43
Hi Pop, looks like you have the same set-up as I have. I only use my winch on the start batteries & I have the engine running at the same time. As mentioned the deep cycle batteries are not designed for the heavy current loads when winching. Cheers.
FollowupID: 562113

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 08:42

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 08:42
And...... after you finish winching, DON'T shut the motor off. Your batteries will depleted and you might find you don't have enough capacity in them to re-start the motor.

Instead, leave the vehicle idling whilst you pack up your gear and get ready to drive off.

Roachie
FollowupID: 562137

Reply By: Member - Barnesy - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 01:25

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 01:25
Pop, I don't have an electric winch but have asked around for when I do get one. I would be using the crank battery with the engine running and the hand throttle open to make the engine rev to about 2000 rpm.

Barnesy
AnswerID: 296079

Reply By: traveller2 - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 08:15

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 08:15
Definately cranking batteries for the before mentioned reasons.
Also carefully monitor winching times and battery voltages (the latter with engine at an idle without winch operating) as the way Toyotas are setup if the batteries cannot supply the required current the alternator will attempt to far in excess of its rated output but only for a very short period before it burns itself out. BTDT and seen it done several times on post 1990 cruisers.
The earlier ones with lower output alternators don't seem to have the problem.
Even two fully charged N70ZZ's will only allow a few minutes continiuous winching at full load.
AnswerID: 296087

Follow Up By: wheeleybin - Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 18:12

Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 18:12
There is the misconception that a deep cycle battery is not good for winching and that is wrong.
There are deep cycle batteries that are standby batteries and they fall into the category of what has been stated but there are commercial deep cycle batteries that can whack it out and also whack it in but they come at a price that the average bloke may not want to pay but the serious wincher could definately benefit from.
FollowupID: 562466

Sponsored Links