Tassie trip

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 13:15
ThreadID: 56235 Views:1919 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Been in Tassie for two weeks now and had the worst camping night of my life last night. Am staying at the Barilla caravan park in Hobart and last night there were cyclone type winds for about 5 hours which took off most of the roof of the main office,Alarge gum branch came down and destroyed a caravan,we were evacuated to the main building after another part of the roof took off and wedged itself about 20 meters up a tree.My annexe in the Pioneer camper stripped off but the main camper frame and canvass held fast much to my surprise.Fortunately no one was hurt but there was debris everywhere and SES are cleaning up now.Hope Ihave better weather for the rest of the trip as it may be my last visit to down under.Hope others had no injuries.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 13:46

Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 13:46
Sorry to hear that mate and lets be greatful no one got hurt! I suppose this is one those unexpected camping risks and I know it is not difficult for winf to cause significant damage. Hopr you are insured for the annex or at least it is a bearable cost.

Strangely I have been advised that March is the best time to visit Tassie - might have to rethink that one.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 296376

Follow Up By: Baz & Pud (Tassie) - Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 16:58

Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 16:58
we are sorry to hear about the Ramblers misfortune also, but the winds were unseasonable to say the least, the reason for this response is to back up who ever told you March is the best time to visit Tassie,it is.

Pud
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 562443

Reply By: Member -Signman - Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 14:10

Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 14:10
A great líl out of the way camping spot-
Bluestone Bay- Just to the Nth below Cape Tourville lighthouse..
Seals, penguins, sea eagles, wallabys and serenity.

AnswerID: 296380

Reply By: pitboss - Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 15:45

Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 15:45
Wild weather conditions across Tasmania have eased as emergency services continue to clean-up after the storms which were at their most intense from midnight until 5:00am.

The storm may have had hurricane-force gusts of wind, but they were not enough to set new records.

The most powerful gust was on Hobart's eastern shore - 176 kilometres per hour at around 4:00am.

Simon McCulloch from the Weather Bureau says the sustained nature of the storm was highly unusual, but winds have moderated considerably.

"I would envisage that the severe weather warning would be cancelled about 4 o'clock this afternoon," he said.

Police responded to more than 130 emergency calls overnight, while the State Emergency Service received almost 150 calls by 9:00am.

SES southern regional manager, Geoff Marsh, says volunteers will spend the day making repairs to homes and removing fallen trees.

Aurora Energy spokeswoman, Barbara McGregor, says fewer than 500 of the original 40,000 households affected, remain without power, but she says some of the blacked-out homes may not have electricity restored today.

"Crews are working very hard to restore power we have not time estimations on this yet and it will be a progressive effort througout the day," she said.

Despite the storm's intensity, only one person was injured - an off-duty police man who was later released from hospital after suffering cuts to his leg.

AnswerID: 296399

Reply By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 18:15

Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 18:15
Sorry to hear of your misfortune, wrong place wrong time hey.
As already stated, main thing is no one was hurt. We hope the rest of your stay is good. We have only been to Tassie once & it was for to short a time & are going to go back & have a proper look as soon as we can. Cheers & safe travelling.
AnswerID: 296429

Reply By: deserter - Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 20:38

Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 20:38
ABC news just had footage of that park. Looked very scary. But what impressed me was that while the buildings around the park lost roofs, all the vans seem to stay intact.
AnswerID: 296463

Sponsored Links