Engine Oil flushing concentrate

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 15:00
ThreadID: 56240 Views:3171 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone here used the flushing oil concentrate from Cost Effective Maintenance?
From what I have read you add it to your engine oil just before changing the oil then run the engine at a fast idle for 30 minutes then stop the engine and drain the oil and it is supposed to clean all the sludge out of your engine. Especially with Diesels.
Again has anyone had experience with it?
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Noldi (WA) - Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 15:37

Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 15:37
I have used several types, when I had an older 3.2 lt Jackaroo with a sticky tappet, can't say it was ever sucessful though

I have also read somewhere that with the modern engines it should not need a flush put through them

But I think if your confortable with it why not.
AnswerID: 296395

Reply By: Axel [ the real one ] - Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 17:34

Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 17:34
There is a house in New Orleans they call the rising sun ,, oops wrong question ,, thing is this forum has a magic search function ,and believe it or not you will find your answer about flushing engines only runs to 4784 answers , no bleedin wonder u are confused if u still cant use it .
AnswerID: 296413

Follow Up By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 17:55

Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 17:55
Yeah, but we are all guilty of that at times, tyres, phones,& any number of things that have been covered umpteen times. But sometimes some fresh things pop up & at the same time gets a bit of dialogue going which is good in my opinion. Cheers & LOL
FollowupID: 562461

Follow Up By: Member - shane (SA) - Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 18:09

Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 18:09
I'LL second that Barry, when you want the answer on something you want an up to date opinion not something from six months ago.
cheers.
FollowupID: 562464

Follow Up By: Member -Dodger - Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 19:17

Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 19:17
Axel,
Yes tried the search engine and nothing new plus oil is the dominate word.
Just wanted the latest on the Cost efective mobs concentrate.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 562483

Reply By: Dunaruna - Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 19:17

Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 19:17
Good quality flushing agents are effective in specific circumstances, they should not be used on a whime. What they do is dissolve baked on carbon, sometimes, said carbon is helping an old motor maintain compression or sealing up a worn valve guide. On the other hand, sometimes it is causing a valve to stick or stopping an oil ring from doing it's job.

On a modern motor (tight tolerences) it is almost a waste of time, far more effective to use good oil and change it regularly.
AnswerID: 296439

Follow Up By: Member - David P (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 21:57

Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 21:57
Here here, if its running sweetly and not consuming much/any oil let sleeping dogs lye (don't push your luck)... :))..silverback
FollowupID: 562560

Reply By: furph - Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 21:06

Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 21:06
Bang this as much as you feel, but a few years ago had to replace broken valve stem seals on my '76 diesel L/R.
Compressed the valve springs (piston at tdc) replaced the seals but the sludge accumulated on the head was horrendous.
So with a bit of lateral thinking, and reckoning I could't damage the old girl that much I got a tin of the degreasing spray stuff ($2) from Crazies.
Mixed the can full with about 1/2l. of oil and whacked it in the engine. Went for about 50k. run, came home, drained the oil and B/hell it came out like bitumen.
Filled with new oil and couple of weeks later took the rocker cover off to check the valves.
There was not a skerrick of sludge left where it had been thick, in fact clean as the rocker area of my Disco.
Since then the oil has been cleaner for a longer period, and no adverse effects.
I have to think that the CEM stuff is only a strong solvent, but at a price.
Anyone following this advice is I can have no responsibility for any problems pertaining. It worked on my old L/R, that is all I can say.
furph

AnswerID: 296474

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 00:49

Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 00:49
The problem I have with these products is that all the gunk that is stuck to the inside of the engine block, head, rocker cover or whatever is that the oil filter only has so much capacity. If you release all this stuff in one go the oil filter, when full goes onto bypass and then the nasties get pumped into the bearings of your engine. If you change the filter before this happens, then fine. If you dont the results could be quite expensive. IMHO stick with regular oil changes (more often as the engine ages) and use good quality oil.

Cheers Pop
FollowupID: 562597

Sponsored Links