Towing in 5th Gear

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 17:19
ThreadID: 56242 Views:3916 Replies:9 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I am planning to tow a camper trailer which weighs about 950kg loaded with LC 100 TD. I know Toyota recommend that when towing a caravan, not to use 5th gear, how about a camper trailer? Is there some kind of critical weight
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Noldi (WA) - Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 17:40

Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 17:40
I have heard from several, not to tow in fifth, which I have ignored, however, I now have a noisy 5th gear

Ian
Slow Learner
AnswerID: 296416

Reply By: Pyalong - Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 17:43

Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 17:43
I have always been told, not to tow in 5th gear. We used a trakshak camper trailer (approx 1.2t loaded) behind an 80 series for a total of 6mths or so over a 3 year period......never towed in 5th....and was happy not to. Some say ok to whack in 5th gear when gong down hill, or no faster acceleration required.....but I never bothered putting it in 5th at all. Towed trailer at around up to 110kms at times in 4th...all seemed fine....oh...and easier to accelerate on corrugated roads in 4th too. Not sure of the reason 5th not good...but sure you will see an answer from more knowing people here. I seem to remember the 5th gear cog (or whatever...??) is smaller than the other gears, and not designed for the harder work of the other gears.
I am sure someone will explain it better!!!!!.
Cheers,
Mick.
AnswerID: 296417

Follow Up By: DIO - Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 18:46

Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 18:46
I guess that knowing the 'power band' on your vehicle enables you to use the rev counter and keep the revs within that band. As a result you will always keep your engine performing at best and not have to worry about labouring it. The 'power band' should be available in your handbook. e.g. you should know at what revs maximum torque is developed and try to keep the rev counter close to that range.
FollowupID: 562475

Reply By: Member - len W SWANSEA (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 17:45

Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 17:45
hi there i tow an 18 ft caravan and have done for 6 years in 5 th but in saying that i make sure the car isn't labouring just work your gears to suit the terrain is what im saying in town or in the city im in 4th all the time no higher and i drive a Toyota 80 series ............... hope this helps i also had a Nissan and a 14 ft pop top i travelled in 5th also same thing .................len
AnswerID: 296418

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 18:09

Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 18:09
Len
They can learn a lot from you , Saves me delving through the archives looking for my posts and many others as well,
Well done.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 562463

Reply By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 17:46

Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 17:46
Hello there, There has been a lot of discussion on this subject in recent times & you will find lots of differing opinions if you do a search on this forum.
We tow a 1500Kg Van with a Mazda BT 50 manual in fifth. The vehicle manual makes no reference to what gear to tow in. Another member of this forum has a Ford Ranger (same vehicle, different badge, & his vehicle manual apparently advises not to tow in fifth.
The general consensus of opinion seems to be it is OK to tow in fifth provided you are not stressing the motor (up hills, into head wind etc) Just common sense driving practise, change back a cog if the speed or load warrants it. We checked with Mazda technical Dept. at their head office & they advised that there was no transmission issues related to towing in fifth & no motor issues provided you changed back when driving conditions/circumstances dictated that you do so. Cheers
AnswerID: 296419

Reply By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 17:47

Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 17:47
I have towed trailers up to 1 tonne, over several hundred Thousand km with out a problem.

Cars include a 75 series Troopy, an 80 series, and several 100 series.

Cheers Steve.
AnswerID: 296420

Follow Up By: Member - Crazy Dog (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 18:09

Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 18:09
Yup I will back Steve up on that. Just got home from a 10,450ks trip in 6 weeks and towed in 5th when ever I could and no probs at all.

80 series 1996 model pov pak.. dragging a fully laden Trackabout Safari camoertrailer and the back of the vehicle packed to the brim as well.

Grrr!!!
FollowupID: 562465

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 18:12

Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 18:12
Steve
Havn't forgot you , another wise comment . not sure about the other codger though, I see he's found his Mutt .

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 562467

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 21:54

Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 21:54
I would not have a problem with your cruiser towing in 5th...but....whenever you gwet to a hill, get it out of 5th as that will put undue stress on the bearings and will actually use more fuel than 4th will.
Andrew
AnswerID: 296492

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 22:38

Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 22:38
You need to ask yourself why you would tow in 5th. The usual answer is for better economy.

But this is simply not the case.

In another post on this subject I explained that I conducted a little experiment using my Scangauge. It gives instant fuel consumption. I towed my caravan in 5th at 90kph and in 4th at the same speed (towing vehicle is a current TDV8 Cruiser trayback with manual box, caravan is a 16'6" Trakmaster) and the fuel consumption was identical despite the higher rpm in 4th.

Why? Because it was easier on the engine. Less effort.

An earlier posted suggested there might be a better explanation so I'll try this analogy:

Say you are at the gym doing situps lying on your back on a bench. Towing in 5th is the equivalent of trying to do a situp with your back and shoulders off the end of the bench without any support. It's harder on your "engine".

Towing in 4th is like doing a situp with your knees up and your back supported by a bench ramped at 45 degrees. Much easier on your "engine".

So, if towing in 4th is easier on your engine and costs no more in fuel, why risk damage to 5th gear in the face of so many recommendations not to tow in 5th, especially from the vehicle manufacturer. After all, it's them your going to ask for help if your gearbox collapses.

cheers

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 296508

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 00:57

Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 00:57
I am a fanatic at 'don't tow heavy loads in 5th', however you have a light trailer so you could do as Dozer suggests.

However, believe me it is no fun and proves rather costly being stranded far from home when a Cruiser gearbox packs it in. It has happened to us more than once.

All the same, I agree with Gone Bush on towing in the 5th (or overdrive in auto). They are not towing gears.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 296531

Reply By: traveloz - Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 16:37

Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 16:37
I 'broke' 5th gear in a Troopy towing 1300kg van ...never under 90km and never straining the engine ....

funny .. after gearbox rebuild, I travelled at 90 in 4th .. and got better fuel consumption too ...

Kevin

AnswerID: 296646

Sponsored Links