Temporary Hi-Lift jack and axe holder

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 21:16
ThreadID: 56255 Views:2642 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I have made a temporary hi-lift jack and axe holder for the Patrol. I will one day build a roof rack to mount them + a shovel which currently sits on the back door spare.

The Jack and axe will lay across the back floor where your feet would normally go.

With the rear seats removed I will also have the 50L Waeco on the drivers side with a bracket made to hold the fridge from moving too far. The fridge sits on two pieces of 50*5 flat with a piece of rod joining them for a elastic strap to hook on to from the fridge.

I like the fridge there (although I haven't tested it on a trip away yet) as you don't have to just about climb into the back of the Nissan to get a drink or food and swmbo can just lean back to grab a drink while I'm driving.

This idea of the fridge would be good with 1 kid but if you have 2 or more it wouldn't work.

The bracket is 50*5 flat bent to suit the rear floor shape using seat mountings
Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

The bracket for the fridge.
Image Could Not Be Found

The axe head is clamped under the handle of the jack and the other end of the fridge is strapped to the cargo barrier which isn't visible in pics. The matting is just to stop the mechanicals of the jack from digging into the vinyl floor.

I have taken a bit of info from here over the last few year so I am giving some ideas back.

Cheers Luke
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 07:52

Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 07:52
Luke,

Not sure if i amd reading the rost right but is the fridge held down to the brackets by an elastic strap? If so don't do that, find a stroger way of holding it down because you don't want the fridge going in your back when you stop suddenly.
AnswerID: 296553

Follow Up By: Member - Luke (SA) - Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 20:02

Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 20:02
Yes that's right David, It was the us the bungee cord type. I tried to lift it up and down, it didn't move. side to side only a little and back and forward only a little.

I know people use turn buckles to hold them down with and a have one or two in the shed so I will look at them. They will/should hold it down a lot firmer.

Cheers Luke
FollowupID: 562741

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 07:59

Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 07:59
Looks good Luke. I have a high lift mounted on brackets but the handle rattled. I got a couple of short bits of foam hot water pipe insulation tube and slid them over the jack handle. If you need them any plumber should have a few bits spare, they stretch to fit over the handle easily. They may help protect your axe handle from any vibration rash against the jack.
AnswerID: 296558

Follow Up By: Member - Luke (SA) - Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 20:07

Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 20:07
It should be ok as far as rattles go as the handle is clamped down with that bracket (third pic down) rolled over the handle.

Something for me to think about though

Cheers Luke
FollowupID: 562743

Reply By: DIO - Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 08:50

Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 08:50
Looks like it will do the job. One suggestion - might make things a bit easier for you - have you considered using wing nuts and spring washer to secure the items rather than have to search for a spanner each time you want to remove them. Just a thought.
AnswerID: 296566

Follow Up By: Member - Luke (SA) - Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 20:13

Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 20:13
Thanks DIO

Wing nuts wouldn't hold it down tight enough IMO only at finger tight. There is already spring washers under the nuts. I like it the way it is as I always keep a small shifting spanner in the glove box. If I want to be a real smart arse I could put a spanner in the pocket on the rear of the front seat.

Cheers Luke
FollowupID: 562748

Reply By: Krakka - Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 10:21

Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 10:21
Looks quite a good idea, would it be difficult to get the axe out with the fridge installed, it just looks a bit awkward in the photo.
Cheers, Krakka
AnswerID: 296590

Follow Up By: Member - Luke (SA) - Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 20:19

Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 20:19
Thanks Krakka

I thought of that when it was time to put the fridge in. I ummmmed and arrrrrrrred about it for about 15-20 minutes. The way it is now I can get to the nut on the head of the axe side and if I move the drivers seat forward there's plenty of room.

The axe head can be slid out from underneath the jack once the nut is loose and I untie the occy strap and out it comes.

Cheers Luke
FollowupID: 562751

Sponsored Links