Turbo & LPG on GU 99 TD42 N/A?

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 08:01
ThreadID: 56307 Views:4495 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

I have just bought a 99 GU DX 4.2 N/A wagon and am looking to fit an aftermarket turbo and gas. I have spoken to 2 'reputable' turbo shops in Perth and have been told that TD42 motors built after 1995 and before 2000 have weaker internals and donot cope well with excessive heat.

These shops advised me that if I were to turbo:

1. Not to boost above 9 psi

2. Pyro not required. One said when they dyno they tune to ensure egts do not exceed 475 as opposed to 550 on pre 95 TD42 motors.

3. Donot use lpg as this will increase egts and threaten longevity of motor. One of the shops does fit LPG and he was pretty clear that he would not do it on a 99 TD42 N/A with aftermarket turbo.

4. Go for watercooled garret turbo as this will be better at keeping heat down.

5. 3 inch dump pipe with 2.75 exhaust is all you need. 3 inch is 'pose value'

Now I have researched this issue to death on many forums and am starting to get confused as. Am I being fed a load of by these installers?

I am not after masive amounts of power as the truck is a daily driver/tourer towing a camper trailer.

In my view if I go for 9psi boost (water or oiled cooled turbo) and 3inch exhaust with an EGT then gas it but get the gas tuned mainly for economy with obvious power gains and watch EGTs I should be ok in the long term. What do you guys reckon?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 08:33

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 08:33
I agree 100% with everything you've said.

The addition of LPG is designed to act as a catalyst only; so that you get a more thorough and complete burn from about 98% of the diesel, rather than the typical rate of about 75%.

So long as you don't over fuel it and DO keep the boost levels down to around 8 or 9psi, then all should be sweet.

I WOULD definitely be fitting a pyro gauge in the new dump pipe. I reckon you'll be surprised when you see the temps....if anything I would expect the EGTs to be a bit lower (on average) when you have the LPG switched on.

The only other aspect that I would possibly question is the idea of the water cooled turbo. Denco make a replacement turbo kit for the TD42T (1999 to 2002 GU model) which is a larger Schwitzer turbo and is solely oil cooled; whereas the original Nissan turbo was water and oil cooled. If the turbo is water cooled, that means the turbo is going to add to the water temp levels. Having said that, I did the Denco swap over on my 2000 Patrol (when I owned it), thinking that it might reduce my water temp issues...... but it didn't have any affect.

Luke SA (member on this site), has added my old turbo to his 1999 DX Patrol and it has made it into a different vehicle. He hasn't done the LPG though.

Hope this helps.

Roachie
AnswerID: 296751

Reply By: Rock Ape - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 08:45

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 08:45
The way you have written this it looks like you are trying to talk yourself into all the mods and not the other way round.

Answer these questions yourself.

Why would someone say don't install gas when they install gas on diesels.
Why would they tell you to keep the boost at a max of 9PSI unless they have your interests at heart. And yes the engines are not as strong after 94 (that doesn't mean they are not a great engine)
Why would they tell you to keep to 2.75" exhaust when they can charge you more for a 3" one. Little story, work mate took the baffle out of his bike, said it went heaps better, tested it and it was slower to accellerate and lost 4mph in top speed.
With my 6.5l chev diesel, an expert on the engine said don't go bigger than 2.5" out the back. When I went to have the custom built 3" straight muffler fitted, the exhaust shop said we will only put 2.5" out the back as that is all it requires, if you go bigger you will lose power.

Hope this helps you answer your own questions.

Have a good one.
AnswerID: 296753

Reply By: Member - Luke (SA) - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 10:04

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 10:04
When I bought my Patrol (same as yours but 98) I had no intensions of fitting a turbo, until Roachies came up at a bargain price. Since fitting it I wouldn't have it any other way. I tow a Cameron camper and the back of the Patrol is usually about half full of gear these days, wait till the kids come along.

There is a lot of talk about people putting boost up to 12psi. When I fitted the 3" exhaust everything I was reading said 3" was the go, but since then I've heard 2.5 and 2.75 is ample, so I really don't know. In hind sight it could've been just a fad thing, who knows??

As Roachie says above I don't have the gas injection and I don't think I will be fitting it. It's just another expense to pay if something goes wrong.

I don't know much about the egt's but I do know the harder you work the engine the hotter they get. There is plenty of info on here to keep you reading for days.

"I am not after massive amounts of power as the truck is a daily driver/tourer towing a camper trailer." Then I think you will be happy with only a turbo.

Confused even more?? Hope not :)

Cheers Luke
AnswerID: 296763

Reply By: Member - Matthew ,United Fuel- Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 20:45

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 20:45
GASGQ

If youre happy to fit a pyro and manage your EGT's then everything is possible.

As for water cooling, NOT REQUIRED and will make no difference to anything,we fit kits with water cooled turbos because that is the turbo we recommend and it comes as part of the DTS kit.

Essentially the decision is up to you,we are fitting a kit on a GQ monday ,call in if you would like to have a look at it and the results,it will more than likey be dynoed midweek.

MAtt
AnswerID: 296848

Follow Up By: Member - morry H (WA) - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 22:54

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 22:54
matthew can you email me on myden@iprimusdotcomdotau
thanks morry
FollowupID: 562947

Sponsored Links