Leaking Jayco Dove

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 12:31
ThreadID: 56312 Views:5581 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We recently purchased a 1998 Jayco Dove. Unfortunately, whilst towing it through several hours of persistant rain, we found that water had been forced up under the ceiling at the front of the van. Consequently mattress and bedding got pretty wet. The ceiling had been secured reasonably tight by each of the four corner latches. Has this happened to anybody else with a Jayco wind-up type van, and has anybody got any ideas as to solving the problem?? I am looking forward to any constructive suggestions. Cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 14:41

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 14:41
Check the rubber seals between the top and the body. At 10 years old these may be fairly worn if it has had a fair bit of use.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 296793

Reply By: DIO - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 15:02

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 15:02
A very common point of entry for water is around the roof hatch. Sealant breaks down over years. Only fix I know of is to remove all old sealant and replace with appropriate type (check with caravan repairer/manufacturer/parts supplier).
AnswerID: 296799

Reply By: DesF - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 16:01

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 16:01
Hi I have a Jayco Eagle 1993, and when we went to the West in 04 it poured all the way to Eucla . I was worried that it might leak so I sealed the front joint with grey tape and about 18" down each side , it worked great, we only had to put it on 2 days & once over there when it looked as if it may pour,
only takes about 4 or 5 mins to fit and 30 seconds to remove, very cheap fix , have had van 5 years and only had to use it twice.
My seals look OK but better safe than sorry.
Cheers Des.
AnswerID: 296803

Follow Up By: furph - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 16:49

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 16:49
Some years ago we had a Jayco Finch. Great little camper, went across the top a couple of times, bent the A frame, straightened it up, went again and lots of other places.
But LEAK, it leaked like a bloody seive.
If it wasn't dust, it was water.
We got used to laughing at it, a big sponge when it was wet, a big dry mop when it was dry.
Eventually had to get rid of it, the missus driving me mad.
So bought a 27' x 9'6" triple bogey setup that tows beautifully behind our 2litre petrol/kero Grey Fergie, no more dramas, but we only now do around 35kms./day. (thats a good one, tail wind)
What the Hell, we are still getting there, eh!
furph
FollowupID: 562883

Reply By: PradOz - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 21:00

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 21:00
when the roof top comes down it has to overlap the bottom walls. apart from the seals, it has to be secured down tight enough or every bounce will cause the thing to open up. check the clamps are all straight, secured to the roof (simple look under the inside of roof from outside when the roof is only up a foot or so, and check the clamps are tight enough. You should pull down on the roof at the same time as doing the clamps up. You should be pulling down with your weight but not so it should be an olympic games weight lifting event. if need be screw a new seal under the front bed edge at the front so when it closes up it seals it too. use some rubber around 4 to 5 cms wide. and if you are still having problems, maybe the duct tape is the way to go, but also use a piece of plastic sheeting to wrap the bed etc for when its shut up. good luck
AnswerID: 296851

Reply By: Member - Roger B (VIC) - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 21:58

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 21:58
Agree with all the above. We've had a 1978 Dove for about 10 years, but haven't had a leakin the front. We had a scary one when we discovered the rear internal shell lamp was full of water !! Not real good when you're about to hook up to 240v. That was fixed by re sealing the centre eoof seam. I've been told by people far wiser than I, that after pulling the roof down real tight, to wind one more click on the roof winder. Apparently this prevents excess movement of the roof. Cheers.
Roger B.
AnswerID: 296870

Reply By: Hewie - Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 17:32

Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 17:32
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I now have several options that I will work on. I am sure that one or the other will solve the problem. Thanks again.
AnswerID: 297003

Sponsored Links