Diesel Camping Stove

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 18:32
ThreadID: 56323 Views:13663 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I wonder if anyone has had any experience with one of these

http://www.optimus.se/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=34

or similar

When we had the Hilux i used to keep the 2kg stove gas bottle in the tray & if there was a gas leak it would have dispersed but now with the Patrol wagon i have no option other than storing it in the rear of the vehicle & it concerns me that if there is a gas leak it may result in a explosion

As we are travelling full time this is a bit of a worry

If i could get a diesel stove i could just drop the outlet hose off the filter & use the filter primer pump to fill the stove diesel tank & when i was finished i could tip the remaining fuel back into the vehicle tank

Looking forward to any feedback

Regards Don
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Reiner G (QLD) 4124 - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 18:56

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 18:56
sounds smelly and messy to me. We use a Coleman dual fuel stove for years. No Gas-bottle and runs very cheap. I use Shellite only but if stuck I can run it on petrol.
There is always one on e-bay for half the money.

cheers
Reiner
AnswerID: 296828

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 19:40

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 19:40
Gday Don,
Don't know anything about diesel stoves, but I'd wonder about how the toast would taste! They come standard in the Kimberley Karavan, so they'd have to be pretty good.

But the outlet hose from the filter is one that I personally never take off.Too easy to introduce a bit of dirt which can stuff up the injector pump. I leave it intact when I change the filter. Diesel stores safely, so I'd keep it in a container, and I think you'd find that the stove will do a lot of cooking on a litre of diesel.

I also don't like storing LPG, so have a Coleman shellite stove. Not sure how much safer shellite is in the back of a Wagon.
AnswerID: 296835

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 09:44

Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 09:44
Karavans have a Webasto ceramic cooktop in them like the one below though Phil. I agree, the toast wouldn't be quite right with the diesel soot in it.

Exclusion of air in the lines could be a problem as you really only use minute amounts of diesel. The Karavan for instance I have never seen below half a tank with a lot of heating useage. It uses diesel for hot water as well as the cook top.

As in the Kimberley Karavan
FollowupID: 562992

Reply By: PeteS - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 20:47

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 20:47
Hi donk
My Kimberley Karavan has a diesel cooktop (not a stove as you are looking for) made by Webasto. We rarely cook inside and do not use it a lot. It take a while to get going.

The Webasto unit works on an entirley different concept to the Optima stove. The Optima stoves are rather small and designed for hikers. The Optima Hiker+ would burn for approx. 4.5hours on 1 litre of fuel. Personally I think it would be a bit small for what you need. I do like the range of fuels they run on (Optimus Arctic Fuel, White Gas, Kerosene, Diesel, Jet Fuel).

PeteS
AnswerID: 296850

Reply By: donk - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 21:27

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 21:27
The coleman dual fuels would not solve the problem because if i want it to be available at all times i would need to be carrying fuel for it & i don't think that fuel in the rear would be any safer than the lpg bottle i have at the moment where as i have diesel available at all times

I was wondering if the optimus will run on a number of different fuel types whether a colman dual fuel could be adapted to run on diesel

Regards Don
AnswerID: 296861

Follow Up By: shaggy - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 23:38

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 23:38
cannot adapt coleman dual fuel to diesel because the needle valve for diesel does not exist from coleman. Viscosity and flash point are much too different to even consider.
Optimus is a different design with an expansion chamber so it can burn a variety of fuels.
FollowupID: 562957

Reply By: shaggy - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 23:36

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 23:36
I have one of these. Lots of "opinions" but no one knows what they are talking about. As is usual around here.
It works great on kerosene, jet fuel, shellite and petrol. On diesel, it takes a little while (3 mins) to get really hot and properly vapourise the diesel oil. So in the mean time you will have black smoke and really draw some attention. It will also stink of diesel during this time. Once it is hot, there is not a lot of odour, and it is very efficient. I.e. 20 ml to boil a litre of water.
Other issue is noise. It sounds like a rocket engine, which is what it is in effect. Compression, combustion and expansion of gas liberating significant heat.
Finally, price, it will cost you at least about $400 depending on exchange rate and how much the retailer wants to rip you off for it. It is a high quality unit made for high altitude mountaineering. Lots of high grade stainless and bronze.
Hope it helps.

As far as gas storage, you will smell the leak well before you reach the lower flamability level. If still concerned, store on roof rack.
When weight is not an issue, gas wins hands down for ease of use and cleanliness.
Shagger
AnswerID: 296896

Follow Up By: donk - Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 00:00

Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 00:00
Shaggy i am not concerned about leaks while we are in the vehicle more so if a leak occured when the vehicle is parked & opening the door for example might ignite the gas

We are full time on the road & i don't want or need a roof rack & i don't really want to have a gas bottle external on the vehicle either

If i understand your reply correctly you have a optimus stove ????

Regards Don

FollowupID: 562958

Follow Up By: shaggy - Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 09:54

Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 09:54
Ok sure, the effect of an explosion may be extremely dangerous, but the probability of it occuring is so low, that you are probably experiencing far greater real risk from oncoming traffic.
You are talking about two improbable events occuring simultaneously. Gas leak AND a high static charge on the vehicle.
You must look at what is the effect if the hazard was to occur AND how likely is it to occur before you can decide whether the risk is plausible. Afterall, this is the type of risk assesment on which planes, trains and automobiles are designed and built.

I think Mythbusters did a test on this scenario. I forget the outcome.
A suitable mitigation may be to install a window mounted fan which will run (perhaps solar) and keep the air exchanged when you are away from vehicle.

Yes, I do have the Optimus stove. I would not recommend it for what you want to do with it.

Regards,
Shagger
FollowupID: 562994

Follow Up By: Anglo - Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 17:33

Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 17:33
You could always get a 'plug' for the gas bottle. We just got a kwik gas bottle and it had a plastic screw in stopper in the bottle. Would be an extra way to ensure that the gas stays where you want it?

Cheers,

Chris
FollowupID: 563056

Sponsored Links